Breeding For Seeds: Hybrid Vigour Vs Stabilizing The Strain

Hello,

I am trying to find the quickest route to breeding autoflowers to try and simulate the original parent beans. There is quite a lot of information about trait breeding, but they usually involve a step along the lines of "breed back to original parent" which I don't believe is possible on an auto.

IBL's for the sex reversal enthusiasts

This one is easy as it only requires you to keep one P1 plant.

Find killer female and self it. Create S1

Find killer S1 and self it. Create S2

Find killer S2 and back cross with P1. Create S3BX1

Find killer S3BX1 and self. Create S3BX1S1

Find killer S3BX1S1 and self. Create S3BX1S2

Find killer S3BX1S2 and back cross to P1. Create S4BX2

Find killer S4BX2 and self. Create S4BX2S1

Find killer S4BX2S1 and self. Create S4BX2S2

Find killer S4BX2S2 and back cross to P1. Create S5BX3

By this generation your plants should look identical to the P1 parent. :cheer:

This thread seems to have the most scientific information I can find, but unfortunately has the same issue listed above.

What I had was 5 seeds of a feminized auto strain. I grew one and found it to be very desirable. While it is a hybrid strain, it is a popular one (GSC) that I feel is likely to be somewhat stable.

4 seeds left and I don't have nor do I really desire to have multiple grows going on for me to reasonably breed 6+ generations.

What would be the fastest method to breed back to as close to P1 genetics using these 4 feminized autoflower seeds?

Will the S1 seeds even be likely to vary that much? Even if self-bred from the same plant?

I grow mostly as a hobby for product for myself alone. Is it even worth the effort to breed for exact traits?

The quickest route to stabilising desired line is selfing for two generations. But you'll have to reverse one female for that and do it on cue before she gets to late flowering and then you're gonna have to grow a female to pollinate her with harvested pollen or do an open pollination.

The quickest route to stabilising desired line is selfing for two generations. But you'll have to reverse one female for that and do it on cue before she gets to late flowering and then you're gonna have to grow a female to pollinate her with harvested pollen or do an open pollination.

Thanks for the quick reply!

By reversing, do you mean using colloidal silver (or another method) to prevent the signal for it to grow female flowers and for it to grow pollen sacs instead or is there another thing that "reversing" refers to?

I was planning on growing all 4 remaining beans, using colloidal silver on a fair portion of the one that goes through initial veg the strongest/most similar to the one I grew already, and letting it pollinate the other 3 as well as the remaining female flowers on itself.

Initially, I figured that this would likely result in very close traits, but the more I thought about it, the more I remembered how the Punnet square works. "SsBb" would still result in some having "ssbb" and that worries me a bit.

Yes reversing the sex to male. In general you have to remember that you'll be working with a polyhybrid, which might or might not carry recessive genes. However S1 will clearly show you how homozygous your genotype is by its offspring. If you get at least 66% of a desired genotype, then you're golden. This test works well with a big population though, which means it might not be conclusive with 10-20 plants, which is a very small sample.

Back
Top Bottom