Breeding For Seeds: Hybrid Vigour Vs Stabilizing The Strain

What I mean by letting the pollen fly is that I have my target plant pollinated without worrying about pollination of other strains I might be growing. I am not propagating those plants and normally will discard those seeds. I keep the genetics of my target plants secured.

Well everything was ok until the legislature messed with the laws in 2012. Then a bunch of conservatives decided the law was too lax. They tried to repeal it but couldn't get away with that, so they just made it difficult...but I don't want to discuss politics here. Hopefully we'll have legalization before we all die of old age!

I have never smoked King Tut. I've grown and smoked AK a couple of times. It's pretty good but there are a lot of pretty good strains. I like the ones that cross my eyes and make me drool uncontrollably! Have you ever tried Y Griega?

Canyon, I didn't feel stepped on. I was just summarizing. And I don't check every subscription everyday, so some things take a few days for me to catch up on.

intentionally pollinating? No
spontaneously growing? Yes
working with pollen? No
mature males? No
hermie tendencies? No

The rest of that statement I really don't think apples, though I admit stray pollen could at least be part of the problem and could complicate things.

I have assumed that especially the ones found as single seeds at the crouch of a branch were from stress in the late stage of vege. and were self pollinated in vege or early flower.

While I have had seed problems (problems?) these for some reason I have thought they were a better bet that they would be like ther mother.

I have lots of specific questions that I would like to get to in no real order or any rush.

Seeds don't spontaneously happen anywhere on a plant. These aren't Jesus plants. If the plant produced a seed, pollen came from somewhere. Either the female grew balls or bananas somewhere and it went un-noticed, or another one did or there was pollen left over from a male from some source. Stressed, end of life female, main branch junctions...doesn't matter. Pollen came from somewhere.

Llama,

Nod on 10 to 15 for seeds.

Flying pollen could give me nightmares though. My wife may draw the line at buying a tent and setting it up in a bedroom just to finish out a plant. With some thought I could set up something small in another part of the garage and kind of keep the area misted.

From what I remember from the few males I have handled there is only about a week that pollen is really an issue and I probably could keep one for that long on the patio.

Yeah, at $10 -$15 per seed I have changed my tactics. I just finished setting up two new small tents with LED lighting. Instead of buying them to simply grow a plant and hope it's right, I am now gambling on getting the advertized genes in one of the seeds, and will be 'selfing' each with colloidal silver using two clones. Reverse one clone to pollinate the other, and flower out the now trained and double topped original seed plant for smoke test. One seed at a time. I now have everything I need to begin. MuaHahahahahahaha!

FWIW you can extend the useful life of a pollinating male by pinching off early balls, topping and generally delaying it's progress. Even while it's actively pollinating.

I've had a hankering for Ghost Train....I have a ton of Y Griega x Malawi Gold seeds. I'm going to feminize both of those strains this winter sooooooooo..

Heirloom,

Thanks,

"Either the female grew balls or bananas somewhere and it went un-noticed, or" That is just about it and I have some stable plants."

I have never bought any seeds other than at a dispensary and only two strains at that.

If I was going to buy any that I was going to do something as serious as breeding with I would order from some reputable bank out of the Netherlands if I could get them there.

Two things you should know. Paying for them is not that easy.

The other is, having them shipped requires Mr. Mail Man to fill out a form that goes to some Government whatever to be filed. As I understand it, ordering out of Canada would do the same thing. It is not the ordering, it is being the recipient. That came from an ACLU type.

Thanks, I am learning and I appreciate the effort.

Best
canyon

The other is, having them shipped requires Mr. Mail Man to fill out a form that goes to some Government whatever to be filed. As I understand it, ordering out of Canada would do the same thing. It is not the ordering, it is being the recipient. That came from an ACLU type.

I won't lie, mail ordering is scary business. Four times I've used Herbies, four times I got the delivery. :wood:

In fact one came today with my winnings! :party:

Well everything was ok until the legislature messed with the laws in 2012. Then a bunch of conservatives decided the law was too lax. They tried to repeal it but couldn't get away with that, so they just made it difficult...but I don't want to discuss politics here. Hopefully we'll have legalization before we all die of old age!

I have never smoked King Tut. I've grown and smoked AK a couple of times. It's pretty good but there are a lot of pretty good strains. I like the ones that cross my eyes and make me drool uncontrollably! Have you ever tried Y Griega?

Amen to the legalization before we all die.

So, does Y Griega cross the eyes and cause uncontrollable drooling? Sounds like something I wouldn't mind trying, although I tend towards zippy.

It will make you walk around in circles out on the driveway and you won't even wonder why!

It's extremely zippy. I avoid it if I want to go to sleep.

It's a cross of Kali Mist and Amnesia. They get huge like the Malawi Gold. It's suppose to have indica in it somewhere but I've never seen any indication(ooo a pun!) of that. If you like sativas you will love y Griega!

Canyon, you are always invited! (I assumed it went without saying bro)

I believe the WW x BB was a F7 cross of two main pheno pheno lines from the P 50 of WW x BB. The pheno's that resemble WW on one line and BB on the other line.
I still want this strain as well as NL x BB.
By the way, what's this style of breeding called?
Anyways the selection of BB over Critical is understandable, BB is homozygous while critical is shantibaba's creation, so you know its an F1. WW x BB is a better sequence of genetics.

Whilst I was away on holiday the spare tent capacity I was relying on to use for breeding became no longer available so I am afraid this test is dead. Thanks for all the input people and sorry to anyone watching with interest.

Lots of great info here thanks! sorry about the loss of space.

I've been growing my own herb for over 40 years, most have which were for my own pleasure, and a few years ... well I was young and edgy once (some say stupid!). I've crossed many strains hundreds of times, so I'm a Crosser, not a Breeder. I know Breeders personally, I can't or don't do what they do. I can only produce my own strange crosses with sometimes awesome, and sometimes awful results. It's all for me so it's fun to see genetics do their thing, selection and expression are interesting. Yes, I've had a few crosses I've tried to breed, but I never could grow enough plants to be a true Breeder, it takes hundreds during every cycle to be a Breeder. I'm just a Crosser! But it is rewarding.

Keitover

Back
Top Bottom