British Stoner 1st Time Grow

Just read up on the Provanto and I wouldn't use it for my grow. Stick to dish soap or iso/water would be my advice.

Provanto has two ingredients on the data sheet:
"Methylisothiazolinone is moderately to highly acutely toxic in oral, dermal, eye irritation, dermal irritation, and inhalation acute toxicity studies."
Source

and
Deltamethrin, which is a form of pyrethrin.
"Pyrethrins kill insects on contact. But these chemicals hurt more than insects. Pyrethrins can also be harmful to humans, especially in cannabis products designed for smoking, because these chemicals can be easily absorbed through the lungs."
Source
Methylisothiazolinone is one of the things my wife is allergic to. It is in nearly every shampoo and clothes detergent.
It's used as a preservative.

I think I have thrips too and probably since my first couple of grows too.
I started using sticky fly papers and that seems to have made a difference.
Let me know how it goes with that castille soap.
I've been trying to track down
RHS Bug and Mildew Control concentrate

I think I have thrips too and probably since my first couple of grows too.
I started using sticky fly papers and that seems to have made a difference.
Let me know how it goes with that castille soap.

I really hope I can completely disinfect my tent once finished since my vegging clones look healthy (originally the thrips started on one of my clones outside my tent and my dumbass cross-contaminated it before I knew what it was). I’d hate for the same bugs to just come back. I haven’t seen any adult on the sticky traps, just very crappy leaves due to the babies. Will update yah!

Yes, I think there are lots of different types of thrips.
We've always had these tiny flies on houseplants in general.
Never enough to cause a nuisance.
It's only when I looked at what thrips do to the leaves that I'm saying they are thrips.
Do fungus gnats leave the leaves looking the same?
The tent conditions must be ideal for them, but the sticky traps see to be doing a job.

A friend sprays with dilute hydrogen peroxide.
I'll ask him when I next see him.

Aghhh, THINK I got rid of thrips only to have SPIDER MITES take over which I find worse, ewww :thedoubletake:
I've bought diatomaceous earth but this late into flower I don't know how the pests or earth will affect the bud.

A friend sprays with dilute hydrogen peroxide.
I'll ask him when I next see him.

Did you ever find this out? Would be appreciated!

Aghhh, THINK I got rid of thrips only to have SPIDER MITES take over which I find worse, ewww :thedoubletake:
I've bought diatomaceous earth but this late into flower I don't know how the pests or earth will affect the bud.

Did you ever find this out? Would be appreciated!
He says he uses step 4 of this
Pour 8 ounces of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide in 1 gallon of water, and add 8 ounces blackstrap molasses or white sugar. Stir the solution and pour it into a spray bottle. Then, spray the plant with the mixture, fully soaking the surface underneath the leaves, the soil and the crown of the plant. Alternatively, use undiluted 3-percent hydrogen peroxide, although you might find that the molasses or sugar helps the mixture stick to the plant better. Spray the plant daily for one week.

Myself, I have been trying to get RHS Bug and Mildew Control.
The supplier is being a prick though.
Don't use homeandcleaning.co.uk

Good luck

DE isn't good in flower as it should never be on your buds if you're going to smoke them. For mites in flower I'd use unscented castille soap spray. It washes off after harvest.
Neem oil ?
Neem in flower can be tricky. It can turn your pistils brown and some say it makes your buds taste funny. It's also hard to wash off because of the oil.

I should have the RHS concentrate stuff arriving today.
It says
  • Controls aphids, whitefly, red spider mite and a range of other pests
  • Protects against powdery mildew
  • Nourishes fruit, vegetables and flowers
  • Pesticide free
I will try it on at least a few pants which are half way through flower.

Castille soap is olive oil immersion blended with lye.
The lye is sodium hydroxide which you may get unadultered as drain cleaner.
I bought some from B and Q years ago.
It's a strong base, so be careful.

Check out some youtube videos of people making their own castille soap.

Let me know how it works for you.

re. above
I will be spraying my plants, not my pants with RHS !!

I quoted the link in another post of the soap I bought, I think it should be alright.
Hoping to cut them down in the next 2-3 weeks so will check with the microscope soon (if I haven't rinsed of the trichomes yet).
\

Anyone know what's wrong with my clones, they were initially healthy and then the light schedule was disrupted a little but then suddenly seem to be suffering heat/light shock with the same lights I'd been using for them previously so they shouldn't be burning (there's two heads and I've even switched on of them off so the plants really shouldn't be burning).

The RH has always been 40-60%, pretty low I know but the humidifier I bought doesn't seem to be doing anything. (I don't know if it's the size of the room or if it's shit)
Annoyed as I just saved them from pests and they were doing so well...

clones.jpg
clone 2.jpg
clones 3.jpg

Anyone know what's wrong with my clones, they were initially healthy and then the light schedule was disrupted a little but then suddenly seem to be suffering heat/light shock with the same lights I'd been using for them previously so they shouldn't be burning (there's two heads and I've even switched on of them off so the plants really shouldn't be burning).

I'm starting to think its either phosphorous/ manganese deficiency or a weird infection...

I'm not that experienced but will deficiencies show up when they are so small?
They won't be drawing so much from the soil.

I have some that are beginning to curl from light stress, so I'm gradually moving the light up.

Hiya, hope your grow is treating you well mate!

I expected the smaller clones to be crappy as they were taken during flower but the bigger ones in the first two pics were taken during veg. They were doing soo well then suddenly went weird last week. It verrry slowly got worse (I don't like changing things immediately after noticing potential issues). It's strange the curl is from light stress since the distance hadn't changed and I actually dimmed the light.

I'm paranoid about bugs so I spray them with the castle spray + a dash of iso regularly but that shouldn't be an issue.
RH has increased to 60-90%, will double check pH of feedings.

I had real problems last year with high RH during our hot period and it nearly wiped out my first crop.
There was so much moisture in the air, the plants didn't need anything from the roots.

I did some hefty defoliation this time at day 21 and I'm now starting to drought them as per Maritimers thread.
I wish there was some consensus on defoliation.
I'm going to have to experiment.

The top pic looks like a root issue to me. If you have H2O2 on hand I would try 1:4 3% H2O2:water and pour it through the soil. I'd only try it with an older clone, not the new reveg ones, as it can be tough on young roots. I saved 4 of 5 mothers that way when they all took a turn for the worst, with browning leaves that would just die and fall off.

Back
Top Bottom