Bug problem! Leaf diagnosis?

Re the neem discussion- just curiosity and interest, on my part anyway.
Fight those fuckers for two years and you'll find yourself also extremely interested in anything that kills mites.
They're quite easy to kill. A little dish soap and water spray will do it. Even a direct spray of water. But then... they come back. That's the problem with mites. They keep hatching out.
In any case, your problem should be fixed for now by moving them outside. We are just discussing- on your journal. With any luck you won't need this discussion. But don't be too surprised if your indoor space has a few dormant mites in it waiting for next time.

It says on the bottle of this Eco-neem. Once a plant has been treated, when a creepy crawly chews on the leaves it's appetite will become suppressed and the offspring will inherit deformities making them unable to reproduce and much more susceptible too prey mites.

I think my original problem could have stemmed from "preventative" treatments of pyrethrum which possible killed off most of the beneficial insects and mites?

It says on the bottle of this Eco-neem. Once a plant has been treated, when a creepy crawly chews on the leaves it's appetite will become suppressed and the offspring will inherit deformities making them unable to reproduce and much more susceptible too prey mites.

I think my original problem could have stemmed from "preventative" treatments of pyrethrum which could have possibly killed off most of the beneficial insects and mites?

Neem oil is a systemic, and it is effective against spider mites. The active ingredient is azadirachtin.

neem_information.png
Neem_OIl_Jorge_Cervantes-2.jpg
Neem_OIl_Jorge_Cervantes-1.jpg

To use neem oil effectively it must be emulsified. Mix it into soap or a silica additive until it's a milky white color.

Gonzo do you have shares in floramite SC, haha just kidding I admire your passion for wanting to share your experience.
At the cost of $10 per millilitre I'll have to sell my kidneys to buy some though.

Gonzo do you have shares in floramite SC, haha just kidding I admire your passion for wanting to share your experience.
At the cost of $10 per millilitre I'll have to sell my kidneys to buy some though.

It's about $100/half liter. Stored refrigerated, lasts years. But since you only need a few ml for a tent sized treatment I've heard it can be bought on sites like eBay where people have broken it down to smaller amounts. It works, unlike most things, is why I'm so pro-it. .

Neem oil is a systemic pesticide whether it's applied foliar or via root drench, which is also standard practice. Never seen any negative response to the neem oil, and never heard of anyone burning their plants with it (with properly pH'd water). The soap is not meant to act as a spreader sticker ( though it works as one ), it is to emulsify the neem oil which is crucial for the oil to be broken down, otherwise it just stays in clumps the plant cannot uptake.

Just looking out for the other people who may find this thread via search engine or Google later on.

Tead's neem oil recipe that I follow:

2 tsp neem oil, 1 tsp dish soap, mixed milky white, dissolved into 1 gallon

or for root drench

4 tsp neem oil, 1 tsp dish soap, same mixing

To treat an established infestation, spray every 2-3 days for at least 9 days. To keep them from coming back ( or getting them in the first place ) apply neem oil (either way in veg, root drench in flower ) every 4 weeks.

For the record, the colored texts are from Jorge Cervantes. The Material Data Sheet is cited in text, but here is the works-cited for the authors referenced (in order from oldest to most recent)

Gill, J. S. and C. T. Lewis. 1971. Systemic action of an insect feeding deter-
rent. Nature (Lond.) 232:402-403.

Larew, H. G. 1988. Limited occurrence of foliar-, root-, and seed-applied neem
seed extract toxin in untreated plant parts. J. Econ. Entomol. 81:593-598.

Osman, M. Z. and G. R. Port. 1990. Systemic action of neem seed sub-
stances against Myzus persicae. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 54:297-300.

Nisbet, A. J., J. A. T. Woodford, R. H. C. Strang, and J. D. Connoly. 1993.
Systemic antifeedant effects of azadirachtin on the peach-potato aphid
Myzus persicae. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 68:87-98.

You're not in any position to be setting any bottom lines, and you're simply wrong. Neem oil eradicates mites, and it has for many other growers. Your experience is not typical of a proper application of neem.

Once again, just for the future readers who will find this: Neem oil's main ingredient is azadirachtin, a systemic pesticide. Neem oil can be applied view root drench, and must be emulsified to work properly. You can verify what I'm saying simply by looking at the sources I posted. No need to trust my "decades of experience" and take my word for it, all the information is out there.

Just tired of seeing people done a disservice by this myth being perpetuated.

Neem oil's active constituent "azadarachtin" seems to be working a treat. I did repeat preventative sprays with a pyrethrum based spray before the infestation and the mites still showed up, after one spray of the Eco-neem mixed as per bottles instructions has worked a treat.
So today, 3 days after treating with neem I brought my missus too show her the mites/damage expecting eggs to be hatched.
There is no sign of any mites and the plants have fully recovered with not even a sign of damage under a magnifying glass, so I had nothing to show her and now she thinks I'm totally paranoid.

I'll be returning to the grow site and I'm going to do another spray with the neem oil emulsified in soap, and agaib every three days for the next two weeks

Well I went to treat them again but one of the girls is not looking very good I think it took a turn for the worse the past 24 hours, the leaves are turning crispy burnt?

Weird because they looked fine the day after I treated them, and the other girl still looks fine.
If you check my journal you can see a lot more of the details but just briefly,

I had them outdoors veg for 3 months then under led & cfl for 2 months and just moved her outside again 4 days ago and this is the change
From 2 weeks ago
420-magazine-mobile1880867016.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1200818567.jpg

To this 4 days ago
420-magazine-mobile1437905024.jpg

And now this
420-magazine-mobile1549413361.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1241070973.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1312017272.jpg

Back
Top Bottom