Building A Better Soil: Demonstrations & Discussions Of Organic Soil Recipes

General accepted cook time I have seen is 4 weeks.
Your plants have matured a bit so I think you could get by after 3 weeks. I think CC soil is "hot' for seedlings, but then I drop my auto seeds straight into it to sprout and just deal with it. I am gonna do that again in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Hope that helps :ciao:

There's nothing hot about CC soil. You can mix and plant right away if need be. When I started the thread that was the accepted method, cook for a month. Since then it's been demonstrated on another site that there's no necessity to cook it if you don't add anything that requires cooking.

Bobrown, thank you for the coconut water recipe. I'll definitely give that a try. I'm not sure what you mean by "down the stretch." I've got plants in four different stages of flowering, from the ones in the pictures to one I just discovered a few days ago. At what point should I start using it?
Patience...

I use coconut water to start my seeds and to root my clones mixed with Aloe juice ... FTW. You can use coconut water all the way just be careful not to over do it. I usually use a 1/4 cup to 3 gallons RO water with other goodies but you can use it with just water too.

The coconut water is very helpful with bud maturation as well and root growth and plant health. Good for you too.. don't forget to treat yourself as well as the ladies. Spray it on with water as a foiler & water in and watch the magic. It's not subtle ...

I use coconut water to start my seeds and to root my clones mixed with Aloe juice ... FTW. You can use coconut water all the way just be careful not to over do it. I usually use a 1/4 cup to 3 gallons RO water with other goodies but you can use it with just water too.

The coconut water is very helpful with bud maturation as well and root growth and plant health. Good for you too.. don't forget to treat yourself as well as the ladies. Spray it on with water as a foiler & water in and watch the magic. It's not subtle ...

Thank you BB. I'll try it as a foliar this run. How often would you suggest?

There's nothing hot about CC soil.

Sorry I meant 'my' soil is hot, left the my out. too much Nitrogen stuff i added I has gotten in the mix over the last year.
but I deal with it, the nitro tox.

For me I find, if I try to let soil sit for too long in between grows it dries out cause I get lazy and do not keep it moist. Maybe the strain just didnt tolerate some nitrogen excess or I have tried to screw up my grow but the soil still works in spite of me.

I was just looking at pictures of the male Orient Express i grew at the beginning of the year. There was not too much claw, it looked good here and I abused the plant as a seedling, .

The Top. A pretty boy.
CIMG9885.jpg

I am looking for some input, for a new mix I am trying to get balanced.
This is my best guess for amendments to a 25 gallon base mix of 8 peat, 6 EWC, 3 mushroom compost and 8 perlite.

Edit: The worksheet says 25 gallon, but the numbers are for 1 cubic foot so about 4 times for 25 gallons. Sorry my brain is overloaded with numbers.

25g_mix_6-25-16.JPG

How far off am I? I never know. I am having trouble with the different forms of the elements when trying to figure amounts.

Another problem is, I do not have full information on some of the items.

A little hand holding will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
canyon

Jeremy at build a soil .com recently posted soil test results from 1/3 spm 1/3 aeration 1/3 Malibu bus blend compost soil blend they offer. Every batch of soil I make is based on this recipe, with different changes every time.

My opinion: Its worth checking out. I've been telling anyone who will listen that this is the best compost available here, its better than any store bought ewc here too. I noticed a huge difference from using this stuff in my soil mix, in teas, and as topdressing.

Thanks for the link. It is an interesting site. I did not find the test results you refer to. Though I spent half an hour looking over there products. I would qualify for the $150 pallet price. Though, I don't need that much. Maybe the local nursery would be interested. Are you close to them. I always wanted to go to Telluride.

I scrolled through your indoor thread. I want to go through it for real tomorrow. I grew a few plants in whisky barrels a while back and have one going now. The soil mix is to fill another one.

Your grow room should be impressive.

Best

Heirloom,

I ordered the first two yesterday.

I have been thinking of you and wondering how the healing is going. Are you still confined to a bed or can you stand or sit in a chair yet? My wife has lived in a turtle shell for as much as six months at a time. Not fun.

For some reason I thought you lived in Canada. Now I am thinking somewhere in the Southeast.

Best

Thank you BB. I'll try it as a foliar this run. How often would you suggest?

I use it diluted almost all the time. 1/4 cup to 3 gallons water is weak ... I usually use it every other watering and usually always add it in to my IPM routine same amount - ladies love me long time now. This will help with bud/resin/root growth, just don't over do it.

I use coconut water (pure) with all my amendment watering (and in my cloning water). That's every other watering. Water - amendment + water - water and so forth. I go "light" with everything that I amend in... but do it regularly, exception at flip with REGs.

If a 1/4 cup is good how about a cup ..... you will have a problem pretty quick. Moderation is key, probably pretty much across the board there, eh? Dont over do it watch the ladies prey... no prey go to water.

So SS if you are doing a 1/2 gal IPM - I'd do like an 1/8th of a cup and see what's what. The response is immediately positive. FTW

Thanks for the link. It is an interesting site. I did not find the test results you refer to. Though I spent half an hour looking over there products. I would qualify for the $150 pallet price. Though, I don't need that much. Maybe the local nursery would be interested. Are you close to them. I always wanted to go to Telluride.

I scrolled through your indoor thread. I want to go through it for real tomorrow. I grew a few plants in whisky barrels a while back and have one going now. The soil mix is to fill another one.

Your grow room should be impressive.

Best

I'm sorry, I couldn't upload pics when I posted. It may not be up on the web site, I'm sure it will be at some point. Here is the test, with permission to share from Jeremy.

I'm in WA, gonna visit KIS farm pretty soon. Another great source, along with make organic soil. Com on the east coast.

FB_IMG_1466644336161.jpg

Canyon,

I am mid-south technically. No, I'm not Canadian. Born and raised on the west coast.

I am shelled for another 9-10 months or so. But I've known people to get out of them earlier than usual. So of course I'm hoping for that. My Uncle fell out of a tree onto a fence once and broke his back. 10 months in the shell with a fusion cage similar to mine. I can get up, get to the kitchen, porch and bathroom. Those are my limits. I'm no longer allowed to try to venture anywhere else.

Going completely crazy here.:loopy: I re-read about a dozen books already, both 'Teaming' books included. Good stuff, Canyon. Hope you enjoy them.

You are welcome to stop by my journal (link below in signature) to ask questions or just follow recovery/return.

:thanks:

Hey there Heirloom.. keep moving, keep living and keep it green brother. How are you making out? Every day you breath is a good day just remember that when life spills a little coffee on ya.

If you need some reading material check out this book. It's a challenge for the first 2 chapters then after that BOOM wealth of info.

It's a good read.. I've got a bunch more good books if you like to read.

What a Plant Knows: A Field Guide to the Senses: Daniel Chamovitz

1666657270046.png

Ok Kids... I was making an SST the other day and thought about this thread.

I'm going to briefly explain without any science how and why I make SST = Sprouted Seed Teas and as important when I use them.

SST = Sprouted Seed Tea... the name pretty much spells it out. This is but just one tool in my green tool box that I feel can be very beneficial at specific times in my grow routine/cycle.

First off I'll explain how I go about making one and how I use it.

Step 1 = sprout some seeds ... easy enough right, OK what seeds? In this example I'm using Organic Alfalfa Seeds:

Alfalfa meal many of us organic soil makers use the meal as part of the soil mix. We can also use the sprouts from the seeds.

I mainly use Alfalfa spouts - for the young plants in VEG and also at flip from 18/6 or what have you going into flower and the best part I use Alfalfa sprouts at the end of the cycle for 2 reasons.

1) Alfalfa sprouts promote flowers and flower building and

2) also promote maturation and shorten the finish time..

When I use this recipe late in flower it is specifically for building bigger buds.

Ok so get some seeds

Put them in a flat container and water them. I use a 4 tray round seed sprouting kit from Amazon:

Amazon: Kitchen Crop 4 Kitchen Sprouter VKP1014 with 6" Diameter Trays

1666657168234.png

So to sprout seeds - put a bunch of seeds in the 4 trays and stack them up and fill the top tray with water - the water will trickle down into the bottom white tray that you do not put seeds in (5th tray).

You need to water every day one time - dump the first water out - very important to dump the first water out. The next 2-3 waterings you can use that water to water your plants with.

The 2nd day you will see the seeds start to sprout. I rotate the trays every watering, top to btm to even out the time for seedlings to be ready for use.

Usually after the 3rd day or 4th day they will be ready to use. The most benefit will be had when the sprouts are still white in color. If they start turning green - don't stress it's all good.

Take the sprouts and grind them in a food processor with the water in the btm tray!

Grind up - strain the liquid into a jar - top off jar with water - into the fridge for safe keeping. This mix will last at least a week usually 2 in the fridge.

What I do with the liquid run-off is mix that in with my water when I water in and also use it in my IPM routine = spray it one the plants at about a 1/4 cup to 3 gal water and 1/4 cup to a gal of water for IPM (of course with other IPM ingredients).

Like this:

Sprouts ready for the food processor - notice the water run off in the white base - that's goodies right there and I add that to the food processor and grind it all up fine:

20160701_182309.jpg

Ready to chop:

20160701_182554.jpg

Strain thru a screen don't throw out the ground up material - you can top dress or feed the worms FTW. I fed the worm bin and my 4' tall bin dropped down 12" in a few days... red wigglers; go wormy go - nothing wasted :

20160701_182806.jpg

Put liquid strained off into jar:

20160701_182945.jpg

Top jar off with RO water:

20160701_183013.jpg

Water in on the plants and watch the magic. This is not feeding plants per say. Getting close tho and the mycos LOVE this almost as much as an EWC/kelp tea. Spraying on with the IPM the nutrients and most importantly, the growth hormones from the sprouting process are directly absorbed right into the buds and leaves. This will generate immediate response from the plants (well over night anyways). This will happen even if just watering in.

I'm going to show you a few pics of a plant that is a 70-75 day flower cycle plant that is easily in day 85 or so.. she's over ripe (I like this cultivar this way "for me"). You will see it the pics she bulks up weight in the buds AND finishes - this takes about a week or so.

She's hanging on ... still nice and light green she's in senescence first application after this pic:

20160623_192723.jpg

After 1st watering in and IPM - she's noticeably lighter yellow - helps finish process

20160702_191817.jpg

after the 2nd application - buds bulked up and are now leaning over - fresh smell of sweet canna in the house, I know she's ready for chop any day. Just like that. I chopped her today all her fan leaves were a light light green and her buds are sparkling with resin and THC.

20160703_191719.jpg

I posted this because I was reading journals and someone asked how to "bulk up the buds?" - this is one way I do it ... the most important way, IMHO is mix a proper soil ... this SST just adds to the QUALITY of finished produce.

Keep em green!

Cheers

When I filled up the second moving van, I made the hard decision and left all my soil behind (it was either keep soil or keep the custom painted wicker sofa AND the grandmother clock.)

My only supplies now are: 40 lb of 'Quoddy Blend' Lobster compost and about 2 gallons of homemade worm compost. The basement here is running about 70 degrees and 60% humidity. In a few days, I will unpack my worms and start feeding them again.

Back
Top Bottom