Building A Better Soil: Demonstrations & Discussions Of Organic Soil Recipes

I have the option to buy some mushroom compost, how does it stack up against animal based?

My only experience with mushroom compost is from my non-cannabis landscaping days, 25 or so years ago. Don't take this as gospel, but my boss told me that it was sheep shit that had been used to grow mushrooms on. (Google says it can also be other things.) Apparently, after it's too spent to produce mushrooms at commercially viable rates, it gets sold as a garden amendment. I think it's supposed to be pretty good stuff. Since it's already had mushrooms grown on it, I think you can rest assured that it's sufficiently composted to grow plants in. We used it a lot when planting shrubs and trees; we'd dig a nice big hole and then mix the compost 50/50 with the native soil to refill the hole, then plant into that. We'd also rototill it into beds that needed some organic matter, usually adding about 4 to 6 inches. Everything we planted always did fine.

I just found a place that sells it in bulk for about the same price that I've been paying for the "green bin" compost with the plastic bits in it, so I'm going to buy a yard and have a good look at it here pretty soon. If it doesn't have any crap (garbage, I mean) in it, I'll probably buy a whole bunch.

In terms of how it stacks up against animal manures, I would say that mushroom compost is compost while composted manure is fertilizer (used like guano).

Hey Timmo......so I lied to you brother (not intentionally). The course isn't the free one. There is a charge for it.....45 bucks. Not sure if you are still interested, but here is the link as well as the link to some of their other Master Gardner courses.

Soil and Compost class - Master Gardener Series: Soils and Compost | Professional and Continuing Education

Master Gardner Program - Master Gardener Series: Oregon Master Gardener Program | Professional and Continuing Education

No sweat. I started googling after seeing your post and came across the Master Gardener stuff. A few of the classes look like they could be pretty useful--the soil & compost one for sure, but also basic botany, pathology, entomology, and pesticide safety all look like they could be very worthwhile. 45 bucks isn't quite "nothing" these days, but if it helps me fill in a blank or two, it's money well spent. Hell, even if I don't learn anything, it would be worth it just to confirm that I actually know a thing or two.

Thanks for posting the links! I hope others give them a look.

No sweat. I started googling after seeing your post and came across the Master Gardener stuff. A few of the classes look like they could be pretty useful--the soil & compost one for sure, but also basic botany, pathology, entomology, and pesticide safety all look like they could be very worthwhile. 45 bucks isn't quite "nothing" these days, but if it helps me fill in a blank or two, it's money well spent. Hell, even if I don't learn anything, it would be worth it just to confirm that I actually know a thing or two.

Thanks for posting the links! I hope others give them a look.

There was one of the courses that we signed up for that was free, and then the Soil class. Ms Stank did the registering so I had them mixed up. I see it the way you do. 45 bucks to learn something useful in this type of hobby is not really a big deal to me (I know others aren't necessarily in as good of a financial situation so I am speaking for myself). I think I will eventually take all of the classes (I mean why not right, I am out of work with a back injury so no lack of time for something constructive like this) in the Master Gardner Class.

I've come close to signing up for the Master Gardener class too. Don't see how it could be a bad thing.

Back injury. Bummer. I've had a bad back longer than I didn't have one. It's nice that you have some time for enjoyable pursuits, but it's a hell of a price to pay. Sorry, my friend.

It warms my heart to stop here and find this room so expertly maintained. I love you guys, you know that, right? :battingeyelashes: :love:

Don't ever forget it. :kisstwo:

Sue, the appreciation coming your way for starting this thread, and the love coming your way for the spirit you infuse it with are immeasureable! :love:

This looks like a great thread. How the hell did I miss this one. Anyway I got some catching up on reading it

LOL, glad you found it MiOutdoorsman!! Lots of great knowledge here

This looks like a great thread. How the hell did I miss this one. Anyway I got some catching up on reading it

I've been lurking around here for a couple of years now and still haven't made it all the way through... But I've learned more here than anywhere else. Glad you found it.

I've come close to signing up for the Master Gardener class too. Don't see how it could be a bad thing.

Back injury. Bummer. I've had a bad back longer than I didn't have one. It's nice that you have some time for enjoyable pursuits, but it's a hell of a price to pay. Sorry, my friend.

Thanks brother....luckily it was a work accident so they are paying me to do this while I try to heal.

No I haven't, why do you ask Caconym??
Just the way you talk about soil

Permaculture is a system or framework for sustainable design, based on observing natural systems and patterns and trying to replicate them. The name is derived from 'permanent agriculture'. The three main principles are 'Earth care, people care, fair share'. Might be work a look!

My only experience with mushroom compost is from my non-cannabis landscaping days, 25 or so years ago. Don't take this as gospel, but my boss told me that it was sheep shit that had been used to grow mushrooms on. (Google says it can also be other things.) Apparently, after it's too spent to produce mushrooms at commercially viable rates, it gets sold as a garden amendment. I think it's supposed to be pretty good stuff. Since it's already had mushrooms grown on it, I think you can rest assured that it's sufficiently composted to grow plants in. We used it a lot when planting shrubs and trees; we'd dig a nice big hole and then mix the compost 50/50 with the native soil to refill the hole, then plant into that. We'd also rototill it into beds that needed some organic matter, usually adding about 4 to 6 inches. Everything we planted always did fine.

I just found a place that sells it in bulk for about the same price that I've been paying for the "green bin" compost with the plastic bits in it, so I'm going to buy a yard and have a good look at it here pretty soon. If it doesn't have any crap (garbage, I mean) in it, I'll probably buy a whole bunch.

In terms of how it stacks up against animal manures, I would say that mushroom compost is compost while composted manure is fertilizer (used like guano).

Mushroom compost can be hot.... I lived in the mushroom capitol of the world for several years and used mushroom compost a lot in our gardens. It comes from horse manure and it is manure. Not sure what that stuff is you buy in the bags... we used to go (and still do) and pick up a load.. or have a few yards delivered. There's a huge mushroom industry here in SE PA. We don't live in Kennett Sq. anymore but still get the mushroom compost.

So here's the skinny.. you can use this stuff but be aware it "can" be hot. What they do with mushroom soil is mix horse manure with straw and a few other amendments and sterilize it, conveyor it into the mushroom houses and inoculate it with mushroom spores, turn off the lights and turn on the fans. So its still fresh manure when they use it to grow in. So buyer beware, it can be not composted enough and burn your plants roots.

Mushroom "soil" I think is the stuff that is composted. Read the label if in a bag. If it's in a big pile at the nursery, ask how long it's been composting (sitting). Should be at least 2 years old...and not hot. You will be able to tell if it's hot, it will be warm to the touch and steamy when opening the bag or digging into the heap.

Manure composting is more than shoveling manure into a pile... believe it or not. Mushroom compost is just that... they pile up the horse manure and there you have it. Basically its NOT composted or not composted properly for use as a soil.

This stuff is good for outdoor gardens. I don't use it in container gardening... there are better options "for me". Home made is the best followed by Coast of Main lobster compost or Malibu's BU Blend compost. It's an excellent mulch, as it's been sterilized and HOT so nothing will grow (weeds) in it for several years. So that right there (good use as a mulch) should be your caution for use in containers for soil building.

Permaculture ... ahhhh while reading about it, also check out Biodynamics and Rudolph Steiner. Both ideas are steps toward "sustainable living", and of course farming is part of that. Permaculture is a bit less structured... in that it is "generally" organic, where Biodynamics is sustainable organic living.

I got the use of Horse Tail Fern tea to combat mold from Biodynamics ... There are other great things we can take from both. The idea we can live sustainably is certainly a good thing.

Mushroom compost can be hot.... I lived in the mushroom capitol of the world for several years and used mushroom compost a lot in our gardens. It comes from horse manure and it is manure. Not sure what that stuff is you buy in the bags... we used to go (and still do) and pick up a load.. or have a few yards delivered. There's a huge mushroom industry here in SE PA. We don't live in Kennett Sq. anymore but still get the mushroom compost.

So here's the skinny.. you can use this stuff but be aware it "can" be hot. What they do with mushroom soil is mix horse manure with straw and a few other amendments and sterilize it, conveyor it into the mushroom houses and inoculate it with mushroom spores, turn off the lights and turn on the fans. So its still fresh manure when they use it to grow in. So buyer beware, it can be not composted enough and burn your plants roots.

Mushroom "soil" I think is the stuff that is composted. Read the label if in a bag. If it's in a big pile at the nursery, ask how long it's been composting (sitting). Should be at least 2 years old...and not hot. You will be able to tell if it's hot, it will be warm to the touch and steamy when opening the bag or digging into the heap.

Manure composting is more than shoveling manure into a pile... believe it or not. Mushroom compost is just that... they pile up the horse manure and there you have it. Basically its NOT composted or not composted properly for use as a soil.

This stuff is good for outdoor gardens. I don't use it in container gardening... there are better options "for me". Home made is the best followed by Coast of Main lobster compost or Malibu's BU Blend compost. It's an excellent mulch, as it's been sterilized and HOT so nothing will grow (weeds) in it for several years. So that right there (good use as a mulch) should be your caution for use in containers for soil building.

Permaculture ... ahhhh while reading about it, also check out Biodynamics and Rudolph Steiner. Both ideas are steps toward "sustainable living", and of course farming is part of that. Permaculture is a bit less structured... in that it is "generally" organic, where Biodynamics is sustainable organic living.

I got the use of Horse Tail Fern tea to combat mold from Biodynamics ... There are other great things we can take from both. The idea we can live sustainably is certainly a good thing.
Fantastic information.......thank you.

Building a Better Soil - Demonstrations & Discussions of Organic Soil Recipes

Hey all, was recently given a recipe by a trusted member here that I'd like to try out, will be my first organic soil

The one question is about compost, recipe calls for Bu's Malibu compost which isn't something readily available here, so when it comes to replacing it with something locally what exactly should I be looking for?
Doing a quick search I'm given local access to many types of compost; Leaf compost, fish compost, cow compost, horse compost, much room compost, premium mushroom compost, classic compost, premium compost etc... So anything specific I should be looking for in trying to replace Bu's?
With so many options what are the important factors to consider when choosing a compost?

Thanks, I'll check Biodynamics out

I stumbled across permaculture by chance and it's lead me to want to study Ecology and Environmental Philosophy. I hope to develop my understanding to the point where I can formulate my own system of living, based on what I learn from others and my own experience. I have struggled with depressive illness for a long time and I hope that this learning journey will give me the meaning I need to overcome my demons and flourish.

Thanks, I'll check Biodynamics out

I stumbled across permaculture by chance and it's lead me to want to study Ecology and Environmental Philosophy. I hope to develop my understanding to the point where I can formulate my own system of living, based on what I learn from others and my own experience. I have struggled with depressive illness for a long time and I hope that this learning journey will give me the meaning I need to overcome my demons and flourish.

Yes it's a lifestyle choice for sure and hard work.. Biodynamics is just that... a philosophy for living sustainably... Those folks started that back in the late 1800s and are still at it in Upstate NY.. and actually all around the world but it's off everyone's radar, well most everyone.

Its not really new even for the 1800s, Asian societies have been at it a VERY long time, thousands of years actually. Japan is a great example... I don't know much about it other than they exist and have been at it a long long time.

CC depression is a tough one.... that's a brain body thing and an imbalance somewhere, could even be genetic. Very tough... the good thing is you know about it.... lots of folks never find out and live short lives.

My ex-wife is bi-polar & manic depressive. She's figuring it out, must look to love... it's the only way! Then pass in on side to side... do things positive for you and others, you will feel better and everyone around you will too. I'm still learning... :Namaste:

Fantastic information.......thank you.

Just to add in a little more, since this is a topic that I have a little experience with. Mushroom compost is good stuff to work with. I don't know exactly what the bagged mushroom compost would contain so check the label but I make my own mushroom compost when growing my own mushrooms. Mushrooms don't use their substrate the same way that cannabis does. After you harvest your first flush, you can get one or two more flushes from the same substrate before it's spent and then it becomes compost. They don't break down substrates like plants do, they utilize an enzymatic reaction that I'm still beginning to understand so someone with more learning than I will have to explain that one. What I utilize when I grow mushrooms is hardwood sawdust/chips, potting soil, brown rice flour, straw, and a few other various things. I don't have regular access to manure so these are the things I end up using to grow my morels, lion's mane, and reishi. What I get afterward is beautiful compost. It's a great secondary hobby if anyone is interested and it's a great source of compost if you do the large fruiting bags worth of substrate that give you large amounts of mushrooms. If I could get a source of manure and started using that and ran even more types of mushrooms and got more harvests then I'd have even more compost to deal with so it's something to look into that would be symbiotic to your entire growing system. It's fit in quite well with mine thus far

.....so it's something to look into that would be symbiotic to your entire growing system. It's fit in quite well with mine thus far

That ^^^^ man I love to read stuff like that... "symbiotic to your entire grow system" - Mushrooms.. entirely organic and the by-products are also great for us.

I do love mushrooms. We look for wild ones in the woods, if you know what the edible ones are, it's a huge treat at dinner time.

I have friends that their fam have been growing them for a living for several generations down in Kennett Square.

Hey IT - welcome to 420Mag. :high-five:

Just to add in a little more, since this is a topic that I have a little experience with. Mushroom compost is good stuff to work with. I don't know exactly what the bagged mushroom compost would contain so check the label but I make my own mushroom compost when growing my own mushrooms. Mushrooms don't use their substrate the same way that cannabis does. After you harvest your first flush, you can get one or two more flushes from the same substrate before it's spent and then it becomes compost. They don't break down substrates like plants do, they utilize an enzymatic reaction that I'm still beginning to understand so someone with more learning than I will have to explain that one. What I utilize when I grow mushrooms is hardwood sawdust/chips, potting soil, brown rice flour, straw, and a few other various things. I don't have regular access to manure so these are the things I end up using to grow my morels, lion's mane, and reishi. What I get afterward is beautiful compost. It's a great secondary hobby if anyone is interested and it's a great source of compost if you do the large fruiting bags worth of substrate that give you large amounts of mushrooms. If I could get a source of manure and started using that and ran even more types of mushrooms and got more harvests then I'd have even more compost to deal with so it's something to look into that would be symbiotic to your entire growing system. It's fit in quite well with mine thus far
Yeah brother, great bit of information there! Welcome to The Forum.....

Back
Top Bottom