Building a grow box need help!

TBayChronic

Hey 420 community!

I'm gonna be starting up my first stealth indoor grow and I could use some thoughts/opinions on my grow box I'm making.

I'm converting my dresser into the box. I'm gonna Take the dresser drawers out n remove the bottom n back piece of wood off all of them (so that the plant can grow in there) but keep the side pieces that run along the track n the front intact so that I can put the drawers back in so it just looks like a normal dresser. (yes it's gonna be anoyin puttin the drawers in n out when I work on the plant but it's a sacrifice I'm willin to make for stealthiness.) I'm gonna paint the whole inside white if I got paint layin around somewhere, if not I'll just cover it in mylar or tin foil. I'm not goin high tech with any CO2 or air scrubbers etc... I'm just gonna keep it basic n simple for my first grow...

I pretty much got everything figured out n ready to go except the flow of fresh air into it... I'm not sure how to achieve this without having light leaks because I can't install anything a) expensive b)that gets rid of the stealthiness of it atm. Can someone please help me out with this?

Here's some brain storming iv been doing...

During the dark period of 12/12 flowering when I know oxygen is really important I can schedule it for night so it will be pitch black in my room n then I can open the top drawer a bit n that should solve that problem right?

But during the couple hours of dark 12/12 period in the mourning when the suns commin out, I'll have to close it n keep all the light out n during all my light periods I'm gonna wanna keep all the light in so I'll have to keep the drawer closed.

During these periods the only idea I have is getting some black plumbing pipe n drilling a hole in the side of the dresser noones gonna see.( That side is a corner n is right shaded n dark even when my rooms lights are on+ i could shade it completely while making the tubing stealth too) I'll attach the piping so it come out about an inch or 2 then 90 degree n head towards the ground a couple inches long. With how dark it is in that corner n the 90 degree angle I think that should do the job right? I could even do 2 or 3 of em for better flow but they'd all have to be on the same side because it's the only side I could find a way to hide n is shaded. Then I'd have a fan inside right infront of the tubing holes so that it's suckin air from that direction n blowing it on my plant to exercise it n make the stems strong plus circulate the air.

I guess my question is will this idea A) keep light in/out and B) allow air to be circulated well? (maybe I could put the pipes on the far right n far left of the same side n have 2 fans. one sucking air in on the right n one blown air out on the left?.... I'd prefer 1 fan just sucking air in if it will still ventilate good enough tho but I don't know if air will make it back out the pipes well if there's a fan sucking air in infront of em)

Thanks for your time n opinions.. Can't wait to get my grow journal goin, n I can't find a strain review on here for the Nirvanas Blue Mystic I ordered so I plan on doing that too when it's done

My first grow ever was in a converted dresser like your talking about but I when I took the drawers out I just secured the front of the drawers to a board with hinges on it and made that the door instead of having to keep messing with the drawers and I vented through the back of the dresser had a fan pulling air into it from the bottom and another fan the little 6" clip on fans exhausting out the top of the back just use some type of light trap

Hey high flyin thanks for the reply

Ya I was thinkin bout doin something like that with the drawers but it would look to fake for my situation... Im using an aerogarden in there n my plants gonna only be round 2.5 ft so I can just take one or two drawers out and reach everything i need to do / see. I'd pretty much only need to take em all out when I flush it. It'll keep me from over analyzing n touching it like lots of new growers do lol

Does it sound like my ventilation idea will work?

Well depends on what size pipe your gonna use I used 4inch abs which is black kinda like PVC idk about anything smaller or your could use dryer hose its just 4inch flexible duct you can get at WalMart...and a few other tips never use tin foil it causes hot spots and you said aerogarden? Like the 7pod aerogarden for herbs and such? I don't think you'll be growing 2.5ft mj plants in that thing bro you would be better off with a dwc setup that aerogarden isn't big enough you could probably only clone in that the root ball on a 2.5ft plant wouldn't fit in it imho

Ya abs was what I was thinkin of... Ima use 4 inch too.. Probably 2 of em.. 1 for the fan to sit infront of n suck air in n one that's jus open for entering n exiting air flow

And It's the aerogarden elite extra model but Ya there's actually only 2ft of room to the light but iv herd of n seen people get just over an ounce with it. There's lots of examples of people growin 2 or 3 plants at a time too. Specially short n low ryders. I got a short indica that only needs 7-9 weeks flower n I'm gonna top/FIM it n use a bit of LST if I have to... I'll flower it at like 9 inches n that'll give it room to grow a bit more then double it's size during flowering.. I could also take the light hood off it n attach it to the roof of the dresser if I need more room I think but I'm tryin to plan so I don't have to do that.

I just bought it to get a grow under my belt before I Geurilla grow my years stash in the bush behind my house this summer. Then I can just make veggies with my aerogarden after. Once I get my own place n I don't gotta worry bout bein so stealth I'll make myself a real indoor set up.

If I get a half ounce of preemo bud with this I'll be happy... I should be able to get more tho... I dunno too much bout lights but the aerogarden has 3 bulbs... The bulbs are 26 watt 1450 lumens at the least.. I think that's the older models light spec but either way that's atleast 78 watts n 4350 lumens n I'm gonna add another of the highest watt compact fluorescent light I can find for my desk lamp n put it in there... (the one on my lamp nows only 13 I think but it says it can handle up to a 60 watt) So if I can get 0.5g a watt like people aim for im stylin but maybe that's a number for experienced growers... If I do even half as good 0.25g a watt that's about an ounce even more with the added 60

Its not the fact about the distance to the light its about room for the roots...you can always work around height issues to the light like you said with let and etc... But good luck to you bro hope it works I personally have never heard or seen anyone use it for mj

I dunno high times had an article on it before n theres videos all over the net of people doin it... Worst comes to worst I end up with only 7 grams, knowledge from the experience n fresh veggies for my sandwhiches in the future... That's not so bad lol

Lol it will work you'll just have to keep them smaller like you were saying flowering at 9 inches will probably be ok if they get too tall those lights won't penetrate to the bottom

Word... That's why I'm hopin to get near 60 watts when i buy a new light for my desk lamp. then I can hang that at a lower height infront of the plants to hit the lower buds.

I'm very tempted to try 2 plants at once for yield reasons.. I know people do 3... But like u said there's limited room for root growth n I might jus end up gettin the same yield with 2 smaller plants as I would with one bigger one because of the restrictions I'm workin with.

aerogarden marijuana roots - Google Search

This guys got a lot of added lights but 2 nice lil plants... They look to be only bout a foot probably even less tho.. Hard to tell

Would Bright White "satin" spray paint work for reflectivity cause that's all I got for white paint or would it just be better to use Mylar/tinfoil. I actually don't think I have enough to do the whole thing tho... What if I sprayed the the drawers white and covered the inside of the box in Mylar/tinfoil

Never use tinfoil it causes problems with hotspots and stuff its more trouble then its worth and as long as the satin has a dull finish and its not shiny...you can get flat white at WalMart in the arts and crafts section its in a bottle because spray paint doesn't make the paint consistent like using a brush its cheap too like 1.50 For the bottle and you can get those little foam brushes for like 2 or 3 dollars a pack...

Ya I didn't think spray paint would work well even if was flat white....

Specially with my spray paintin skills lol

If its that cheap ill have to add it to my list

Thanks for the info bro

Mylar tends to get spotted if water gets on it and it loses alot of reflectiveness and it tears easy and for the price of one emergency blanket you could get more then enough flat white paint at walmart...Just my .02

Ya I plan to go with white paint it seems the cheapest/best method

So basically I got about 130$-140$ to spend on the supplies I need (already bought aerogarden n nirvana blue mystic seeds n my dressers my box)

Iv been figuring out rough estimates of prices online

Fish tank pump, tube n air stone - $20-$25
Digital temp. N humidity reader - $20
9" fan - $20
Flat White paint - $5
Ph test kit - couldn't really find one

I figure 4" abs pipe is to expensive... I haven't looked at any actual stores yet but online at wallmart/Canadian tire/home depot all I could find was 5' long pipes that cost like $25 n then the 90 degrees cost like $10 each... That's fuckin crazy talk lol....

Im just gonna make L shape tubes out of 2L pop bottles wrapped in electrical tape I think

Then I could spend the rest of my money ($65) on lights...

Anyone know what's the best lights I could buy for $65?

Thanks bro I'm gonna incorporate part of ur design into my L shape pop bottle design then no light'll get in for sure

I could really use some help from someone with HPS/CFL light knowledge...

I got $65 to spend what kinda light set up would you use.

I'm only growin 1 or 2 2 foot plants n I can't ventilate anymore then my fan n pop bottle air duct system... I already have the aerogarden lights n a 13w CFL lamp

Thanks

You can get 6packs of cfls from WalMart pretty cheap or lowes if you buy enough you can get the contractors price or you could buy the really big ones from lowes they're 16$ each...if I were you I would return the aerogarden and just go hempy style its simple just get a bucket or some 2l bottles or whatever and put some holes about 2 1/4" up from the bottom check out the hempy style its passive hydro and basically free other than the container and medium and what do you need the air pump and stone for? If you use the aerogarden you won't need that bro...the more you save the more you can spend on lights

I agree with HF5, put your $$ in better places. CFLs will grow but every system has its pros and cons. Have you peeked at my GrowBox lighting solution? A 150w HPS is about $69. This is what I run in my GrowBox with CFL supplements.

First priority should be the environment. Light, Temps, Humidity, and Ventilation. I also like to add SECURITY as part of the environment.

Back
Top Bottom