Can you check if my scrog setup is okay?

Just another update.. (wondering if im doing this right)?
IMG_45556.jpg
IMG_45569.jpg

First plant has 3 main stems going up (was fimmed)
Second plant was topped correctly and is much more bushier and shorter (maybe another couple days until it goes over the net.

heres a pic of the first plant with the 3 main top
IMG_45576.jpg

(im wondering if i should zip tie the growth down or just tuck em down..)???

/e also the roots that were damaged from the first plant, i had no time to get pipe cleaners... so i had squeezed her and made a U shape of the roots (brought them closer, to close her up)

Hi kimchi.
I wouldn't tie the branches to the string. There's usually no need to- except rarely - then I use pipe cleaners to arrange them the way I want- just when tucking doesn't work. Anyway- you're going to need to move those branches more times in the near future.
It's kind of hard to explain what to do, but - if possible - you want to have more growing tips at the screen level. You can accomplish this by moving the longest branches out to the sides of the screen as they get long enough, and by then hopefully any up and coming branches will be long enough to reach the screen closer to the center.
You may have to move the screen up or down to get the branches arranged the way you want.
If you don't have any new shoots coming and are going to end up with only a few budsites- you could always just go for it. You'll have less buds and maybe not be taking full advantage of the scrog thing, but they'll be bigger buds.
When you get the plant flowering it will stretch a bunch, and any existing limbs will get longer. But I wouldn't count on a bunch of new growing tips appearing and making it up to screen level in time.
You're doing fine. It's really not something you can mess up too easily. After you start flowering - and arranging the limbs within the screen- you'll see it becomes very obvious how to proceed.

High kimchikush

I've been doing ScroG for a few years now and the whole deal with a ScroG is to let the tops go through then bend the tips over and tie them to the screen and keep tying them down as they grow so it snakes along the top of the screen. As the branch gets longer the nodes along it will start growing upwards and they should be tied down like the grow tip so they go horizontally along the screen.

I see a problem with at least one of your tips. The tip goes through one hole and the fan leaves go through holes on either side. They will get ripped off eventually as the plant grows. Just pull that back and squeeze the fans up against the tip so you can poke all of it through the same hole.

Once you've got the tips tied down and are getting horizontal branches be prepared to place something under the legs of the frames for your screens. As the plant grows it gets taller and will try to lift the screen. As that's pretty heavy it will crush the plant down into the pot. I use sheep wire with 4 - 6" squares of wire about as thick as a coat hanger. Once the plant is bigger the screen just floats by itself. When the colas get heavy I support it from above so the weight isn't pushing down on the plant.

Don't weave the growing tip in and out of the screen either. You may want to re-position a branch and won't be able to. I use short pieces of twist ties about 2" long for most of it. When I come to a wide space I want to go across I cut a piece of twist tie off a roll and tie it to the screen to bridge the gap and then tie the tip to it to get across. Once a branch is a few inches long it's trained horizontal and wires further back from the tip can be removed and used elsewhere.

If a branch gets to the edge of the screen just turn it in the direction where there's empty space and head it that way. Go across another branch if it's in the way and keep doing that with all the branches until the screen is covered with grow tips everywhere. 75% covered at least then flip it. Here's the one I'm doing now about 2 weeks into flowering. There's a curved screen backed with panda film against the corner of the wall and a horizontal screen coming out from it that the plants are tied down to. The pic is off kilter a bit as the back screen is actually square to the wall. The screen is 4 ft wide and 2 ft deep in the middle. The pic shows about 2/3 of the screen. The 3 plants in there are almost a year old and had were already 3 ft tall or so and I had to get them through the screen while lowering the screen in place. Not too much damage. :) I just got everything tied down and a week later flipped.

ScroG-090815-02.JPG

I've seen a couple of grows here where the branches just come up straight through the holes in the screen so the screen keeps the branches from falling over but they aren't tied down to it. That isn't a ScroG tho they call it that.

It takes a lot longer vegging to get the screen properly full but pays off big come harvest time. :)

L8r

OMU and I are talking slightly different methods of scrogging- which is why he's telling you to the the branches down and I'm not. :) just so you don't get too confused. Most of the time I do it the way he mentioned which 'isn't a scrog but tho they call it that'. I've also done it the way he's telling you- where you lay the limbs sideways, after which the plant starts to produce new budsites at every node. This produces a Lot of buds and they are more naturally an even height. The last couple grows I've just topped enough times that I have about one growing tip for every 4" or so- then let them grow up through the screen. Sometimes there's some weaving and tying down involved, but generally the screen is just there to keep the tips an equal distance apart.
I'm not sure which way is better. I'm going to try again soon the method OMU is talking about. The last time I did it I ended up with about 150 little buds and trimming them was exhausting so I thought I'd try to grow less buds, but bigger. And, I've only been scrogging for about 8 or 9 months now so am still learning. Damn- everything I do I'm still learning...

Doing both methods at once isn't going to work with your setup unless each side has it's own light or you put the tied down one on a platform to raise it's canopy level with the one you let grow straight up. That one will end up a foot or more taller than the other after stretch.

Here's what one plant can look like when properly Scrogged. This was a week or two before harvest and I cleared a half elbow off it and almost the same in sugar and popcorn. About a year ago.

OlderScrog02.jpg

When plant numbers are important to keep my ass out of jail I want the most I can get of each plant and ScroG does that for me. With 5 plants I might just lose them and get a stern warning not to do it again. 6 plants and it's 6 months in the grey-bar hotel even for an old fart like me with a clean record. I'm too danged purdy to go to jail! :rofl:

L8r

Just thought I'd throw this out there, this was that plant on july 3rd.
028287.JPG

After I got frustated ( a few days later ) I moved it into the master bath shower and stuck a 90 watt ufo led light on it. That is what happened in just a little over a month.

Back
Top Bottom