To scrog or not to scrog, that's the question

NoobgrowerS

Hi.
My first grow and all seems fine.
24 day in veg and i have a few questions

1. My ladies are 8 inch tall with tight nodes. Is this normal for a indica?
2. I plan to scrog them and when i read about scrog it seems like most people place the screen about 8-12 inch above pot. If i going to do that my plant most likely won't reach the net for a while. Is it to late to start scrog? Or,,, should i place the screen lower?
3. Can i only start a scrog in veg stage?

Thanks.

I think the size of your plant could be considered normal. They vary. It has a lot to do with environment and strain, and probably your lighting in particular.
Most people put the screens on in veg. I never have. Because of grow room logistics I’ve always put the screen on after I move the plant into the flowering room. I lower the screen down on top of the plant and pull the branches up through the holes in an attempt to spread them evenly. It takes about one or two minutes. A few days later I take a second look at it and at that point it’s easy to see if I need to do any more rearranging- and at that point I remove any extra branches and lower limbs that won’t reach the screen.
It works perfectly fine.

I like having larger spaces than you have. Especially with that thin line you will have to be a bit more careful pulling the branches through so you don’t tear or cut them. My string is also fairly loose.
The limbs are pulled through just once, barring the occasional misplaced limb that needs rearranging. After the first time when the screen is placed on there is no more need to pull anything through or ‘weave’ the branches through as some people seem to do. All action takes place above the screen and is just a matter of laying the branches down flat wherever they best fit on the screen. I use pipe cleaners for this.
Here are a couple posts as an example,
from one of my journals.

~MALAWI~

image16632.jpeg

A Malawi I've had in veg awaiting space. She's a nice plant. I'd love to see her grow wild and free, but unfortunately I've got limited space, and limited time. I don't get to be wild and free, and so neither does she. It makes me sad, but into the scrog she goes. She's a little big for too it but I'll squash the poor thing in there. Maybe I'll let her grow out the sides a little and then cut the screen off after she's done (trying to) stretch.
I'm sorry!

image16636.jpeg

image16633.jpeg

I stick the screen in top and jam the support shafts into the pot.

image16634.jpeg

image16635.jpeg

About one minute later... I just pulled the obvious longest limbs through the screen, crudely. No point getting too fussy here. They'll sort themselves out. In another couple days I'll take a second look, and continue to rearrange things over the next few weeks.
Note to self-
Don't forget this time to cut some clones
Don't forget this time to make a note of when you put her in to flowering.

—————— and a day later—————

Here is the Malawi after 24 hours in the screen.

image16663.jpeg

Well hard to argue with those results. But yes the answer is always to scrog. Low and hard. So drop it like it's hot. 4 to 8" no more. Spread em early!!!!

I guess we have different preferences MD. I like to have room underneath the screen to work under there and to water. I found that 10” is about the minimum for me.

I guess we have differently preferences MD. I like to have room underneath the screen to work under there and to water. I found that 10” is about the minimum for me.
I use watering rings. That big black circle in the picture, it's an extra long funnel with a "T" that circles and connects to itself. Holes punched every so often.

Back
Top Bottom