Carlito21's Pineapple Chunk - DWC - 2015 Journal

carlito21

1445906379919.jpg
Hello. Decided to start a grow journal after an issue that happened with the plants (look at my other thread) the plants are getting over the shock I'm sure and soon enough growth will be back to normal.
Anyways, strain is pineapple chunk. Two plants in a non recirculating DWC system. Have three air pump. Two of them are 20-60 gallon aquaculture air pumps from walmart and the other is an eco air 2 watt air pump single outlet. Three pumps running full blast in a ten gallon tote with around eight gallons of water. Have 150 hps sun system light with 4 23 watt 6500k cfl (two above each plant. The hps is around 7 inches above plants and the cfl is about 1inch. I have a big fan which I think might of caused some wind burn so I have backed it up. Painted the room flat white and have two thernometers/hygrometer. I am using Canna's Aqua Vega nutrients part A and B as well as I'm foliar feeding rhizotonic 4 to six times a day. Room temps can get are at 77 up to 88. My biggest issue is low humidity...I can get the room at a stable lower temp...but the room dries up. 16 percent humidity! Right now it's in high 30 ' low 40 ' and temp is at 82. And that's about it. They are on a 24/0 cycle, thinking strongly about just switching to 18/6 but I'm trying to figure out the room before causing anymore stress. And that's where I'm at now. These plants look nothing like three week old plants is supposed to. My soil plants have beat them a d they are a week old. Sure this has more nodes but that's all. No branching out at all. But we will see.
I would like to restart but I'm not in any rush and if I can fix these than why not. They are purchased seeds so I consider these practice before I go and put more seeds into an unfamiliar, unstable system. But it looks like it might just start stabilizing soon. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Oh....I use the water droplets to test my ph and I should be getting my ppm meter soon. Mid november. My ph is around 5.5.

1445906789094.jpg
1445906769070.jpg
1445906637662.jpg
1445906602729.jpg
1445906571087.jpg
1445906516012.jpg

Here some close up pics of plants. One was topped the other I let be. I had just finished pinching off all the yellow and brown leaves which shocked the hell out of it. But it's perking up and it's soft again. And I think I am seeing g more branching out! I hope!!!

IM A COMPLETE NEWBIE WITH BOTH HYDROPONICS SO ANY HELP AND INTREST WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! WILL POST MANY PICS AND AM OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS. Will post pictures tonight to show an update

This is my quick update of how the plants have been in the last 24 hours since I put in the rest of nutrients to make resevior at full strength.

This plant is the major droop. I don't think the old leaves will recuperate but there is new growth at very top and leaves at top have grown. They are skinny tho, so will keep an eye on that.
1445972820803.jpg
1445972741675.jpg

This plant has been doing so much better. Barely any drooping of top leaves and I think they are starting to grow. And I also think the plant is starting to branch out? What do u guys think. Pics aren't so good and in person is better but I think it is.
1445972660891.jpg
1445972861009.jpg

This is a pic of my stats considering I been having trouble with humidity so I have been raising the temp of my room and I'm getting to a decent point.
1445972634494.jpg

Quick update guys. Well...the plant on the left is not drooping at all and is growing I think. Still hasn't had any new foliage growth but it looks wider. The other plant (the droopy one) I'm thinking about putting it back in soil? What do u guys think?

If I decide to put it back in soil, I will be popping another seed. I have delicious cheese candy, holy grail 69, green love potion, currant kush, and afghan kush. I'm decided between the first three. Can anyone gimme a suggestion on which to plant. I will be starring them out in rockwool cubes so I can avoid that transplant shock and I want to replace it with the pineapple chunk I took out. What do u guys think??

Room stats, 81 temp. 40 percent humidity. Nothing else has changed.

I will go ahead and keep both plants in dwc system. I bought superthrive and will go ahead and add it to the res. I decided to pop a GREEN LOVE POTION by samsara seeds. Will do it in rockwool. I put it in water til it sinks. Once it sinks I will then put it I the rockwool which I ph and added rhizotonic (a bit).

I will go ahead and add full strength of superthrive as I saw plant growth at full strength nutes. Also...I decided to do an expirement to test out superthrive. I will be growing my green love potion in soil. Bought some organic soil today and am going to keep it as cheap as possible...

Lowes:
Just natural organic potting soil $3.18
Jobes fertilizer spikes 50 count (n-p-k ratio is 13-4-5) $1.98

and that's basically it. I have contacted the soil company for a full list of indgredients (it's an organic soil) and for now I will just be putting a bit of banana peels and eggshells. Don't know what else to add as I don't know the npk ratio nor indgredients. I will also be putting tomatoes and peppers with this mixture. Fyi!

***update*** the plant on the right looks very claw like and no new growth at all. The plant on the left seems bigger but still no new foliage as that is the one I topped. Hopefully this superthrive will help. Post pics tomorrow.

14461528949141480245741.jpg

This plant is just doing terrible. I guess its the plant itself because the other plant in the same res looks like this...
14461529251462026471402.jpg

You can see a big difference here...
14461530569871351939105.jpg

So it seems that the super thrive has helped tremendously. Its crazy how healthy this plant became especially after such a severe case of root rot! The stronger on is the one I thought was going to die a few days ago. All I used was H2o2 and it did wonders. Res is still clean and I let the roots soak in a diluted mixture and boom...started to perk up. And from yesterday to today, the plant has no droop at all. Superthrive seems to be working, at least for this plant. The other plant, not so much.

Here are my stats. Have them super controlled.
1446152582419-177168759.jpg

Can this be a good place to keep plants in? Humidity is a bit dry and temps a bit high as well, so what do u guys think?

My other expirement is still in the begging stages since I just placed the green love potion in rockwool.

I am not really familiar with hydro, but for soil or coco I know you can go up to 85 degrees with out any problems. If you feel like your humidity is a little low, just lightly spray your plants with plain water in the begining of the light cycle.

OK...so this is what I see on today's roots...its been about 26 hours since I added SUPERthrive...
1446171003655-1727362687.jpg
1446171042944-1061682784.jpg

Slime...just a ball of slime on roots. What the hell? The only thing I have some different is added that stuff into my system at reccomended dose. Is this normal?!

Guys...excuse my French but fuck that. SUPERthrive...never put it in your DWC. The bacteria's will just clump up. Damn. After plants are getting over shock...we will see what this will do. I will tho...try and use it right now for the shock. Lol...as this is an experiment...I will see if this at least helps with the shock like it claims. I will put roots in a diluted solution while I finish cleaning all that gunk...and we will see what happens. I nervous cuz I fear it might gunk up again even tho it won't be put directly in res. But damn..............this sucks. NEVER USE IT IN YOUR RES!!!!!!

Holy Shit... what the hell ? !! That is very interesting !! That plant has to be a dude, lol. I would say that you got something growing in your resevoir. The water temps are probably very high with no chill system and the lights that close. I have never heard of fan burn, but i gave heard of light burn. Did you let the bananas and other veggies compost befor you added them to you soil. I think you have some major issues goin on. If i were you and i wanted to do this with minimal funds I would repot all the plants in the organic soil and add nothing but a good soak of water. Then get some Alaska Fish ferts or some cheap grow ferts and give them a quarter strength feeding. Then set the hps about 12" above the canopy and give a good soak of water every 3 to 5 days. Put the fan in the room on low to get air moving. Just my thoughts, hope this helps

I am a newby also. I think soil is the best place to start for us. Much more forgiving then DWC
you have alot of good things goin too. You have all the equipment, just gotta fix the presentation a bit. :thumb:

I'm a newbie to the world of cannabis. I've grown very successfully tomatoes and herbs in soil. I'm a complete newbie to the hydroponics tho. That's why I have decided to do this thread. My stats are on par...water temps were at 68. It was the SUPERthrive. Its not very water soluble I suppose. I put that in yesterday and in 1 day u see what happened. That's crazy. I looked up and many DWC growers have that same issue. Within 20 hours or so...white snot filled everywhere. At first I as having troubles because I hadn't deed enough nutes. I'm using pretty good stuff. Canna aqua Vega. And rhizotonic. Cost me a total of 60 bucks for it those three things. The rhizotonic is incredible! Super thrive...nope. I am using it in a solution of peroxide and ph 'd water to see if it will help with any possible shock but I will not be putting it back in. The soil is for another grow. That's an expiriement on how cheap can cannabis be grown. I have yet to get the stats on the soil I bought. Called the place. I also want to use fertilizer spikes to see what happens. Haven't seen any grows using them. Of course the bananas are being composted. For about three weeks in a bag. I won't add to much as my organic soil has blood meal as well as some sort of guano so it might be a bit strong. As soon as I know the ingredients I will post them up.

I think people overanylyze weed grows. The first three weeks of this hydro grow...I checked every little thing. And this week I just chilled back and it actually grew more than in those three weeks. The moment I added that shit tho....damn.

My ultimate point I want to prove here is that a simple, cheap grow, done correctly, can kick ass. I did the hydro for the positives but it has turned put challenging. I bit more than I chewed as I decided to grow an unknown plant in an unfamiliar way. Simicity really is best. But hey...I already started so why not make this a learning experience for all! Gonna finish up and post final notes later tonight.

Sounds good. I thought you were a newby to all gardening. I now feel better about your grow. I didnt know Superthrive did that. Weird. I am still learning all the time too. Soo many different ways to grow and so many ideas out there. I'm rootin for ya and i will learn along the way. DWC does seem badass one you get it dialed in just right.

Thanks. Its not a very costly setup once u have it all down packed. And has great potential from what I've heard and read. So this is what happened...ibleft my five air stones and cords soaking in water with bleach for an hour at least. Cleaned res out. It had no gunk on walls and barely any floating. Water looked clean tbh. Anyways, cleaned with some bleach as well and then cleaned up grow space. Once it was all clean (meanwhile u left my plants soaking in H2o2 solution with SUPERthrive) I filled res with regulartap water and added the following
1)56ml of both part A and B of canna nutes. I calculated it to be 100% strength for amount of water.
2) added Epson salt...eight tsp
3) added some more H2o2 in res

And that's it. Was more work than it seems but plants should have little to no shock. Pics tomorrow. Oh....I PhD water to 6 pH. Didn't want to add to much pH down until nutes settle. Will check it first thing tomorrow morning. Oh...side note...my tomatoes are kickingvthis grows ass. One week and they are tall...will post pics of them tomorrow as well. I have been occasionally using the rhizotonic as foliar feed...wait till u see the difference. Also.. On two of them I have been using spikes abs they are twice as bigas the ones without feet spikes. So it does work...at least in tomatoes. We will see how it works on cannabis..but that's on other grow journal. Peace

Ooooh yuck!

First off I'd get rid of all that foil around the plant.

2nd, snip that snot ball off the roots and dose the tub with lots of peroxide if you plan to keep growing something in there. Oddest case of root rot/slime ball I've ever seen.

Basic nutes with decent air bubbling in the water works just fine. It's like you did everything to excess just to see if you could fail. Congratulations, you succeeded. :)

DWC is dead easy for some but many have trouble with it. Those folks often go on to have great grows in dirt or toss it in and buy street pot.

I've only grown a few hundred plants in DWC so still have lots to learn and enjoy every step.

I'm soon starting a new DWC SoG type grow by putting fresh cuttings into net pots and letting them root and grow in the tub they will finish up in. Tag along for the ride if you want. I'm sure we all will learn something from it. I expect to get a pound off it but as I've never tried this before I may get my butt kicked. :)

:peace:

Ooooh yuck!

First off I'd get rid of all that foil around the plant.

2nd, snip that snot ball off the roots and dose the tub with lots of peroxide if you plan to keep growing something in there. Oddest case of root rot/slime ball I've ever seen.

Basic nutes with decent air bubbling in the water works just fine. It's like you did everything to excess just to see if you could fail. Congratulations, you succeeded. :)

DWC is dead easy for some but many have trouble with it. Those folks often go on to have great grows in dirt or toss it in and buy street pot.

I've only grown a few hundred plants in DWC so still have lots to learn and enjoy every step.

I'm soon starting a new DWC SoG type grow by putting fresh cuttings into net pots and letting them root and grow in the tub they will finish up in. Tag along for the ride if you want. I'm sure we all will learn something from it. I expect to get a pound off it but as I've never tried this before I may get my butt kicked. :)

:peace:

Isn't it strange. And it wasn't for excess of anything like you mentioned. My plants were actually being under fed for the longest time which is why I started this grow journal. The problem was that the moment I put that SUPERthrive in dwc. Everyday I would put H2o2 in res because my temp were in low 70. And it was fine. But in less than 24 hours of putting that stuff in it does that. Crazy. And it's not the first time. There was another person who did the same thing and in less than 20 hours of him putting that in he gets the same thing. He cleans out his res and adds it at a lower dose and again.

I had to clean out my res because it was floating around and what not as well as stuck on airstone. Oh....FYI PEOPLE, peroxide did nothing against this because I always put it in. Everyday. Everybody has their opinion but from MY PERSONAL EXPIRIENCE, I had no slime until that went in my tank. That's the only variable that changed from when I had a clean tank to a dirty one. My journal documents it so take it for what it's worth.

The foil is to light proof the rocks. Originally ally when I had gotten my first root rot...there was green algea (first week...this is now week 4) so I added this with daily dose of peroxide and never again had to battle it....until SUPERthrive. Look it up people....superthrive cause white snot gunk.

Back
Top Bottom