Ceramic metal halide

Philips makes very good bulbs. They even make a LED replacement for HPS and MH fixtures. Just pop it in and go.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I used to use the old Phillips 4000k Retrowhites 400w (before most knew what CMH was and growers would laugh at using "white" light for flowering...jokes on them now hugh :) ). They were driven in magnetic HPS ballasts.. I actually kept all of my ballasts, hoods and have 3 of the bulbs left just in case I ever expand my grow area, I would love to use them in combo with LED :) Phillips CMH are definitely the best out there for CMH. I personally love their spectrum :)

cmhvshps.jpg
DSC034212.JPG
DSC03422.JPG

Philips will never let you down.
They're like Rick Ashley that way.

My Germination/nursling bulbs are made by.....

420-magazine-mobile1037095901.jpg

Agree 100%.
Also if you're going to stick with CMH try and get a Philips bulb. They last a little longer, have WAY better PAR ratings.
Stay away from the cheap $60 Chinese bulbs. Especially the cheap DE bulbs. You'll be replacing them all they time and they blow at the worst time. Like half way through budding while you're on autopilot because you're away for the weekend.

Not that that exact scenario happened to me last year forcing me to get rid of my HIDs.
Lol.

Agree! also you brought up another really good point for COB vs CMH..... bulbs breaking...

With any glass bulb, there is a chance for breakage which would lead to pretty much a total loss of crops if not in a sealed enclosure. Not only glass but also mercury is used in HID bulbs. Cobs don't use glass or mercury :)

Another thing I just thought of too... restrike time... If a CMH bulb goes out, it may need a 5-15 minute cooldown for the bulb to be able to strike again, where COBS there is no restrike time. In case of a power failiure, with HID in general, the bulbs need time to cool down, COBS need none :) When I had HID's in my tent a few years back, this happened and I lost power, and came home to my HID bulbs trying to restrike, but because they fired while hot, the gas never ignited and they stayed sparking, trying to fire... so my plants went hours without any light.... LED's wont due that, if there is power, they will light immediately :)

Philips will never let you down.
They're like Rick Ashley that way.

My Germination/nursling bulbs are made by.....

420-magazine-mobile1037095901.jpg

I don't know whether to love you or hate you after that comment!!! LOL

Maaaannnn that had me dying of laughter... but now I can't get that song and video out of my head... LOL

Too funny!!!

I saw a shirt saying "Rick Ashley for President, he will never give you up, never let you down, and never going to desert you" I almost bought it...wish I would have.

[video=youtube_share;dQw4w9WgXcQ]
[/video]

I use a 1000w HPS in my grow tent now and thought about the new LEC system from Sun system, the 630w air-cooled model,to replace the 1ooow HPS. Has anyone used this system and how warm does the light run compared to a 1000w HPS? The electricity savings would be worth it alone.

It runs a bit cooler. But you need to get the 3000k and the 4000k bulbs for flower/veg (respectively) for best results.
I'd look at the GE LED HPS replacement bulb too. Just out of curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom