Chances Of This Working? [Homemade Grow Box]

SVNDR420

Hey guys i made this cheap grow box until my boyfriend makes a new one out of ply wood. I was just wondering if this will be alright in the mean time? (1 week max)

img_20110718_07_20_08_3444720.jpg

So that it, not much. Its 50cm x 50cm/sq running 1 48w Power Saving CFL, emitting about 2600lm so im working out 325lm per sq/ft ill be getting 1or2 more for the next box. The box as you can see has a fan in it which is acting as an exaust, amazingly works well. Also there is a hallogen heat lamp outside beaming heat through more holes, thermometer coming soon too. Its all lines with aluminuim foil until i get some mylar or might experiment with a car windscreen sun protector, see whats cheaper.

So what are the chances my babies will make it through the week until the boyfriends makes the new one?

-sammy

Yikes foil! Get building that box! Only a short window for the foil! They look happie though so good work! Look forward to seeing the box! 

Yeh i used halogen in my first grow and the spec of light is all wrong it stritched the plant so tall and skinny, plant was just chasing it. ended up an amazing cola though. but seen as its just for heat no problem, besides the fire hazard suggested.
But i think the grow box is quite cool seen as its just for the start. cfl's are good for small seedlings anyway not too much heat an light when tiny.

CaptainKronic: i have read that about foil to, i bought some other type of aluminum yesterday but whats the point in changing it now? LOL

Pilot90: ty, happy growing

CannaVince, JellyBean and Maer: the box is being started tonight when hubby gets home, we already have the flat white (taubmans). Aussie brands LOL. Hes got a fair bit of circitry stuff for the lights and fans ect. I just need to get down to a shop and gets some higher Watt lights and some fans out of old pc's.

Anyone know if Australia has an Equivelant shop to HomeDepo or WalMart for supplies? Maybe a cheap online shop for grow lights and stuff?

Thanks guys ill keep you all updated;)

Ok well i went a bought another 30w Power Saver CFL puts out about 2050lm it says on the package. Ones a 5000kelvin the new ones a 4000k. Both pretty good right?

Also go a thermometer, it was cheap and has a clock/alarm too, right now they are sitting on about 81℉ trying to drop it to atleast 77, any ideas? Its the new lamp causing the heat id say but do i really want to take it out?

One more thing, i know you dont smoke around babies, but these babies are the same right? I smoke in my house and the box not being airtight means some smokes gonna get in. Should i be worried?

Ill upload pics soon, i cant at the moment!

Ok well i went a bought another 30w Power Saver CFL puts out about 2050lm it says on the package. Ones a 5000kelvin the new ones a 4000k. Both pretty good right?

Also go a thermometer, it was cheap and has a clock/alarm too, right now they are sitting on about 81℉ trying to drop it to atleast 77, any ideas? Its the new lamp causing the heat id say but do i really want to take it out?

One more thing, i know you dont smoke around babies, but these babies are the same right? I smoke in my house and the box not being airtight means some smokes gonna get in. Should i be worried?

Ill upload pics soon, i cant at the moment!

You're smoking will not harm your plants. Maybe even help them by you feeling good, and transferring the karma to them.

haha PrairiePoet ive always wondered if things like blowing smoke at a sprout if it would like it or if pouring 1 week old bong water into to soil would be harmful or heapful LOL

either way get this all.. i live in a small suburb valley in NSW population 1,200 approx. Out of 3 timber shops we can not find any plywood, and we dont want to go to exspensive, so for 2 weeks while they get new "undamaged" plywood in it looks like the box for a while longer :( what are some other cheap ideas google doesnt have? ive seen a few and for our budget its still rather exspensive in Aus, or hard to find where i am.

Ive kinda updated a little with the box by ripping out the shit foil
and putting flat white paint on peices of cardboard, cut down to size, on the sides and this see through realy shiny thin plastic a guy at an arts and craft store showed me because they had no mylar it looks "Ok" LOL

Ill see now if i can upload pics and if not ill do that ASAP ;)

Heres the new box... no laughing please, its an attempt and it will prove is good weed can be produced in shit environments LOL

img_20110720_13_15_38_4846360.jpg

Ok new update...
img_20110720_14_57_04_2223990.jpg

Got the lights coming through the top now to cut down on the shadows in the box and the plants have been raised up.

The temp is sitting at a perfect 77℉ im so happy :D

img_20110720_15_02_26_3414870.jpg

What else can be done to help in the mean time? have i done Nything rong?

Hey guys i made this cheap grow box until my boyfriend makes a new one out of ply wood. I was just wondering if this will be alright in the mean time? (1 week max)

img_20110718_07_20_08_3444720.jpg

So that it, not much. Its 50cm x 50cm/sq running 1 48w Power Saving CFL, emitting about 2600lm so im working out 325lm per sq/ft ill be getting 1or2 more for the next box. The box as you can see has a fan in it which is acting as an exaust, amazingly works well. Also there is a hallogen heat lamp outside beaming heat through more holes, thermometer coming soon too. Its all lines with aluminuim foil until i get some mylar or might experiment with a car windscreen sun protector, see whats cheaper.

So what are the chances my babies will make it through the week until the boyfriends makes the new one?

-sammy

I have to admit I was a little surprised at needing a halogen for a heat source at first. Here in the US, we're suffering through a nation-wide heat wave and it caught me off guard that someone would need warmth at all (in my area, they are projecting 96F (36C) today, with a heat index of 115F (46C)). My apologies for forgetting about our friends in the southern hemisphere. Welcome!

In any case, I concur that it will be sufficient until a permanent "home" can be built.

Not a damn thing wrong with growing in a cardboard box. If your temps, lights and soil are all good that is what matters most.

What amazes me most about both growers and the cannabis plant is the ingenuity of the growers and the resilience of the plant..... both are awesome sights to behold at times.

:peace:
WillyB

If it was me mate and you stuck for plywood get a cheap wardrobe, i thought ikea was in every country. And for the rest of supplies, couldnt you get all your stuff off ebay it like half price on their to grow shops. But if you sticking to a box defo scrogg it because of height issues. It'l get their though.

Bill C: thanks for the welcome, yea we are going through the end of winter ATM. Our early mornings (5:00am) we get lows of about 2℃ our midday hits maybe 25-30℃ if lucky LOL

WillyBudz: haha yea i never thought of it that way. its amazing how creative the mind gets just to grow a few plants LOL could u imagine if we had a factory space to fill and a endless supply if money ;)

I have a question about watering. Should i be watering morning and night with soluble nutes or just water? Or should i be doing stuff like that 1-2 a week buy soaking them instead?

cheers Pilot ill have a look now!!

JellyBean: i looked at ebay.com.au and they have nothing over about 100w and ebay.com i found plenty but 1st i need to make sure we will have a box before we try setting lights up LOL im not even sure if the cords and sockets will fit the bulbs im looking for.

Im thinking of just getting a 2way splitter for E27 and B22 sockets (the 2 types in the box already) that way ill have four bulbs and double the lumens (about 9,000lm) ;) for a small box thats got to be good.

my box- 2ft x 2ft x 2ft x 2ft = 8ft/sq
9,000 (lumens) divided by 8 (box size ((squared))
= 1,125 (lumens per square ft of box)

i dont know what the average per sq/ft is for a good grow, but as i said this might just prove good grow in not the best environments.

Day 3

img_20110721_06_04_22_6696950.jpg

i dont know if you can see but my plants look burnt, im thinking that foil i had was cooking them. now the temp is down im hoping they stay abit healthier!

img_20110721_06_08_35_8094510.jpg

3rd little set of leaves coming through. Still dont know if u can see that? LOL That plant, overnight, spread its 2nd set of leaves and started sprouting its 3rd, and both look really healthy! Good progress from the new box and good temps id say..

What do we all think about the watering/nuteing schedule?

Back
Top Bottom