change from veg cfl to 600watt hps

hiway

This is my 2nd Deep Water Culture grow and I am currently in my 3rd week of vegging using cfls and I am about to change to my 600watt hps for flowering
But my question is ,should I somehow ease my girls into the 600watt or is it ok to just turn on the 600watt at 12\12hrs :helpsmilie:
also glad to have found roseman and the rest of the Deep Water Culture again ,thankyou for your continued help:thanks:

I've seen many growers do it and many had "LIGHT BLEACHING" problems until they got the position of the lights right. With CFLs, we are accustomed to getting the lights very close and with your higfh wattage HPS..................well, be careful.

I would ask Mostly Crazy, JonnyBetreed and PurpDaddy for their opinion, they are more experienced with uwing both.

This is my 2nd Deep Water Culture grow and I am currently in my 3rd week of vegging using cfls and I am about to change to my 600watt hps for flowering
But my question is ,should I somehow ease my girls into the 600watt or is it ok to just turn on the 600watt at 12\12hrs :helpsmilie:
also glad to have found roseman and the rest of the Deep Water Culture again ,thankyou for your continued help:thanks:

I would start off by raising the light as high as you possibly can for the first day or two. NO MISTING, make sure you keep the fans away from the top of the foliage, have it blowing up through the plants from the bottom. As long as you have 30-50 inches between the plant and the light you should be fine. I've always had a little bit of bleaching or burn, until I got my AC. So the only other thing I would suggest it for the first couple days to keep the ambient temp in your flowering room as low as possible. Like around 65* or so if possible. Even if that means keeping a window slightly open and the flowering room door open during light on for the first couple days.
After that, depending on you ventilation and cooling, get the light back down to about 18-24 inches. As close as you can without side effect. But be sure to take it down gradually and check it often. Damage happens quickly when HIDs are involved. Not to scare you, just to warn you.
Good luck bro

:rollit:

Thanks for the help .
Can't believe how helpful the people are in this forum . If only the rest of the world was as helpful,and willing to help people suceed:goodjob:

This bleaching... is it why all my new leaves were completly white after I took my clones from CFL veg cab to my 600W hps flower cab? I bought all new Ph/PPM to figure it out everything was in the norm but all new growth was white. :rip:

It's cool a little bleaching isn't all that bad. They'll come back just fine just raise the lights a bit. Come from a clf to a hps is a big change in lumens along with radiant heat. Start from like 15 inchs from the tops or even 24 inchs from the tops and lower it a little everyday until they get more acustomed to the hps.

Did you know: Some commercial growers will lower their lights at the last week or two of flowering to bleach the buds whiter and pass it off as white widow/rhino or some other white superstrain.

It's comes from too much light. It overloads the pigments in chlorophyll and makes it reflect ALL light which can really hurt growth it left unchecked.

Back
Top Bottom