Cloning: plugs vs aeroponic

Bush Doctor 77

Long time ago I had fair success with organic plugs for making clones, but bought an aeroponic unit, and have been using that for some time. The aero unit takes more work, as I wash everything with hot soapy water, rinse and then run the unit with a mild bleach solution, then rinse and finally fill with water for cloning. I cut my clones at a 45 degree angle with an sterile razor, put them in water immediately, then put a 1/4 inch vertical slit in the bottom, and dip in dry cloning hormone. I followed that process for both plugs and aero, and Root Riot really was a dismal failure. All
DSC02063.JPG
the cuttings were on the same day, and one plug is missing because it was totally dead. The cuttings in plugs were domed and misted. Nothing was done to the aero plugs at all after cutting.
DSC02064.JPG

I think it was shottafire that has a good tutorial with root riot, I'm gonna give it a shot. I been in aerocloner for 10 years with 100% success. Problem is we had a 2 day power outage n damn near lost everything. Gonna start doing a few in plugs just for backup.
I think I may have had a better chance with the plugs if I used cuttings that were bigger/more woody. The smallest cuttings root with aero.

Thinking about your power situation. I live in a rural area, and use a small 1000w generator. You could get a small inverter and a 12 volt battery to run your aero pump in outages.

I actually picked a battery n a inverter up for that reason but figured it'd be a good idea to have a cut in some plugs as a backup.

I put clones in cups of water, no hormones, no fuss, just clip and forget.

I have aero cloners that work well but cups are easy. I usually let them callous up for a week in the cups and then fill the cloner with the best cuts

I'm so confident about my style of cloning I don't even keep mother's. Just before I flip a plant I take 2 - 3 cuts then flip the host/mother in bloom tent. Been doing it now for awhile.

Main reason is my veg tent is 2.5 x 4 x 5. It's not big enough for mother's. Especially when I am running 6 strains, like I am atm :D It's my only tent for seedlings, clones and vegging

I'm so confident about my style of cloning I don't even keep mother's. Just before I flip a plant I take 2 - 3 cuts then flip the host/mother in bloom tent. Been doing it now for awhile.

Main reason is my veg tent is 2.5 x 4 x 5. It's not big enough for mother's. Especially when I am running 6 strains, like I am atm :D It's my only tent for seedlings, clones and vegging
I was hoping plugs would work for me. Lot easier than aero, but didn't work for me. What size cuttings do you take?

I like them to stick out of the plug a few inches. But they are always lower than the rim of the red solo. I haven't not had one root in quite awhile. I'm really surprised you have issues
I'm gonna get some Clonex, and give it a shot again.

I've been using the old Glass Cup Method on a heat mat with a 10w led bulb.

Tried everything.... areo-cloner was my go to for years then all of a sudden bam 0-fers. Couldn't get it turned around. Started glass cup and water with some EM-1 works cheap and I don't care if I loose a few cuts. Its simple enough.

I've been using the old Glass Cup Method on a heat mat with a 10w led bulb.

Tried everything.... areo-cloner was my go to for years then all of a sudden bam 0-fers. Couldn't get it turned around. Started glass cup and water with some EM-1 works cheap and I don't care if I loose a few cuts. Its simple enough.

Aye, cheap and easy, perfect combo haha

Whatever works best for the individual. Hell I've got a dwc oxy cloner I'll never use again along with anti algae bottles. But it took me a few different methods until I found what works best for me.
My cheap ass just washed a load of solo cups yesterday :laughtwo: You know I'm a cheap bastard

Whatever works best for the individual. Hell I've got a dwc oxy cloner I'll never use again along with anti algae bottles. But it took me a few different methods until I found what works best for me.
My cheap ass just washed a load of solo cups yesterday :laughtwo: You know I'm a cheap bastard

Whas em by hand or in the dish washer? :rofl:

You do the dip into growth hormone and into soil or perlite?

I wouldn't know how to grow anything without a solo cup. lol

All my girls middle names are Solo

Back
Top Bottom