Clowns U-Turn Grow

Good day, killer clowns. I have been lurking for a while, reading, reading and doing more reading (my head hurts it's so full). I stumbled across one of your grow journals during a search and now I'm hooked. I must admit your "SkooterClowns with power tools.." is my personal favourite. I think I have read it 3 times (i'm sure I will read again many more times).

You guys have filled my head with all sorts of ideas (and fantasies of short, bushy plants with massive kolas...). There so much information I'm having problems digesting all of the little "buds" of information - lol. At least now, after reading all your journals, I have a plan formulating/percolating in my brain. I have budgetary considerations to deal with (kids in school, ex-wife etc.), but your system is definetly within my range (will be using CFLs until I can afford an HPS).

I have one question that I would like to ask you guys. With your 22"x22"x7" tubs by Botanicare, you used a white (semi-translucent?) 1/4" PolyPropylene. I was under the impression that it was important to keep light away from the roots. With the 1/4" polypropylene, doesn't it allow a fair amount of light into the tub (and promoting algae growth)? A couple of pictures that you have showing the roots by lifting the polypropylene and it looks like there is light coming through. Or is the hydrogen peroxide taking care of any algae growth? Sorry, that was 2 questions, lol.

Unfortunately, I live in a small town in Canada and the closest hydroponic store is about 230 kilometres away. Also shipping and importation taxes will kill me. The Botanicare tub with no lid, including shipping and taxes, comes in at around $255. Unacceptable. I have a friend who repairs boats, so I am thinking it would be a lot cheaper for me to make a fibreglass tub (3/8" plywood covered with 2 layers of glass on the inside, one on the outside). This would also allow me to imbed a pig tail for drainage in the fibreglass, guarenteeing no leaks (important in a house with carpeting). Still thinking this through.

I should also say much thanks to BendBender for asking all the questions that I would have been asking. Just wanted to ask a couple questions and say how informative your threads have been (not to mention enjoyable). Awesome, and to think that I hated clowns as a kid, go figure.

Borghead

:welldone: and :thanks:

Borghead,
Thanks for posting. I can understand the volume of knowledge you have absorbed reading through all the posts here at 420magazine. There are a lot of great growers here and they freely share all their extensive knowledge. Slappy and I went through exactly what you are now.

We are glad you are able to find some answers to your questions in our journals.

Regarding the lids for our tubs. They are solid white poly not at all semi-transparent so we have no algae issues what so ever (knock on wood).

We are just about to harvest a small grow that is finishing up. Those tubs and lids have come through for 6 grows now. We love them.

It's a shame that the cost is so high for you got get them up there but your idea about forming your own tubs is very cool. When designing it keep in mind that you need to feed air tubes into the tub. We have a hole in our lid to feed them all through but if you are designing it you may want to come up with a different set up. Maybe holes horizontally along the upper edge of the tubs. Would make it a much cleaner set up.

If you haven't already start a journal for your build, grow etc. We all love pictures and to see what others come up with so that we can all learn and get better.

Have fun with your grow. It is a great hobby.

Thanks SkooterClowns. Yes I had thought of feeding the air lines through the side, with a gasket to cover any possible leaks from splashing (those bubbles sure churn up the water. I will probably have a build and a grow journal. Just have to wait until my last kid moves out (September). Can't wait. Still sitting on the fence about lights. Really don't want to go with HPS or HID, so I'm leaning towards CFLs or (if no new expenses come up - car repairs etc.), maybe LEDs. I have time to think it all through.

Also a fellow lurker :cheesygrinsmiley: I was wondering if you guys could let me know the dimensions of the two 2.5 gallon tubs you were using on the old Papaya thread? I'm having a nightmare sourcing some that fit my project area and yours look dead-on.

I did try sending a pm but I guess I'm a long way off the post quota yet :D

Also a fellow lurker :cheesygrinsmiley: I was wondering if you guys could let me know the dimensions of the two 2.5 gallon tubs you were using on the old Papaya thread? I'm having a nightmare sourcing some that fit my project area and yours look dead-on.

I did try sending a pm but I guess I'm a long way off the post quota yet :D

Sorry for such a late reply Jackdance. I'm not on the site that often anymore but do check for new questions occasionally. Here is an answer I posted for someone asking a similar question. I'm not sure it helps but right now it's the best I can offer.

We seldom use those tubs anymore and they are currently at Slappy's house so I can't measure them at the moment. I did some math and came up with the fact that a gallon of liquid takes up a volume of 268.8025 cubic inches. Multiply that by 2.5 and you will get 672 cubic inches.

cool grow! I'm new here to 420, but this is probably my 10th grow journal i've read, trying to soak up as much info as possible before I start growing myself :thumb: what was the dry weight of this grow?

Back
Top Bottom