Coco, ppm, pH and ec question

Grower2020

Hi my canna loving peepz.
I am venturing away from soil and into the land of coco coir(canna coco plus using canna coco nutes and I will also be buying some cal/Mag as I'm aware of the lack of ability of coco to hold calcium and magnesium in the medium .
Should I do a 30% pearlite 70% coco mix ? Will the pearlite allow the coco dominant medium to hold onto more of the calcium and magnesium supps? Or should i just include calmag in every watering with canna coco a and b ?
Also I was wondering if I am going to be using ec instead of ppm which version of ec do i apply as I've heard there is like three different types of ec and I'm confused a little but able to understand if it's explained properly .
I really want to nail this grow. I just purchased a 6x6 tent with 800watt led and carbon filter but I did a premium potting mix grow and it failed miserably as my pots I usually use outdoors failed me and didn't dry up fast enough and I half drowned them. Outdoors they are fine because the elements of nature dry the pots out a lot faster even without decent drainage. But yes after 15 yrs of growing the symbolic medicine I had on a of my biggest failed attempts ever . So here I am about to keep like 4 out of the 12 plants I started In soil and toss the rest to the heap as I'm not wasting elec time and money on wastes of space. Gotta call it somewhere.
So my main questions are above and I hope to get some clarity on my questions so In Can begin my grow asap :) thanks . Oh and by the way the ppm of my water is between 150 and 180 if that helps with the ec question . Thanks n hope to hear from some of the awesome coco growers for some genuine advice . Peace

Hi G20 - no, you don't need perlite in coco though 10-20% won't hurt, just dries out quicker
Yes, add CalMag to your base water every time to around 300-350 ppm (1-1.5 ml/L)
Don't confuse yourself with EC/ppm - just use the mix ratio as a guide, 2-5ml/L A+B
EC 1.2 - 2.4 / 500 - 800 ppm (1200 max) unless the strain looks hungry; I've seen people grow at 2400 ppm in 25L pots or DWC/Aero, but that isn't quality bud, it's quantity
Also invest in some PK13/14 and use for a week 2/3 weeks into flowering
Keep your pH at +/- 5.8 and don't let coco dry out - use a dripper, capillary matting or a wick to be absolutely sure
150/180 water isn't too bad, best to boil it first though (rid of chloride, fluorides etc)
Would also suggest a little mycorrhizal fungi and Citric rather than Phosphoric for pH down
Drop off the A+B and add some BioHeaven/Humic Acid towards harvest time - improves terps/flavour
Peace to you too dude - happy growings

Morning G2020. I don't grow in coco but straight up hydro in rockwool. Feeding is the same so or so I would think. Yes you will need cal/mag in every feeding or your plants will tell you quick enough. Especially under LED's. EC. is a standard scale world wide where ppm has ,I think, two different versions. Your water at such a low ppm probable won't register on the ec. scale. It would be the ph. that you have to watch very closely. I aerate my water a day or more before using it, to rid it of anything that will evaporate. I have never feed above an Ec. of 1.2, always get tip burn above that. Good luck with you coco grow.

Hi G20 - no, you don't need perlite in coco though 10-20% won't hurt, just dries out quicker
Yes, add CalMag to your base water every time to around 300-350 ppm (1-1.5 ml/L)
Don't confuse yourself with EC/ppm - just use the mix ratio as a guide, 2-5ml/L A+B
EC 1.2 - 2.4 / 500 - 800 ppm (1200 max) unless the strain looks hungry; I've seen people grow at 2400 ppm in 25L pots or DWC/Aero, but that isn't quality bud, it's quantity
Also invest in some PK13/14 and use for a week 2/3 weeks into flowering
Keep your pH at +/- 5.8 and don't let coco dry out - use a dripper, capillary matting or a wick to be absolutely sure
150/180 water isn't too bad, best to boil it first though (rid of chloride, fluorides etc)
Would also suggest a little mycorrhizal fungi and Citric rather than Phosphoric for pH down
Drop off the A+B and add some BioHeaven/Humic Acid towards harvest time - improves terps/flavour
Peace to you too dude - happy growings
So do I need to use cannazyme and all that extra crap they sell as extras or can I just get away with a+b+calmag + 2-3 weeks into flower one dose of potash . And some bio/humic 2weeks out when dropping off the a and b . And also when the seedlings are sprouting should I raise the autos in smaller pots? I'm worried about giving the babies nutes but not having to water to run off coz they are so small and nutes building up and forming a acidic environment innthe coco . Coz from what I've seen people don't soak all the coco the first couple of weeks. Or do i just give extremely weak nutes for the first 2 weeks or so ?

Morning G2020. I don't grow in coco but straight up hydro in rockwool. Feeding is the same so or so I would think. Yes you will need cal/mag in every feeding or your plants will tell you quick enough. Especially under LED's. EC. is a standard scale world wide where ppm has ,I think, two different versions. Your water at such a low ppm probable won't register on the ec. scale. It would be the ph. that you have to watch very closely. I aerate my water a day or more before using it, to rid it of anything that will evaporate. I have never feed above an Ec. of 1.2, always get tip burn above that. Good luck with you coco grow.
So an ec of 1.2 =840ppm is that right. Thanks heaps for the input man really appreciate it. Really don't want to stuff up 2 grows in a row . I'm hoping to yield more from a coco grow . I've heard the nugs are more dense and much bigger and heavier than soil grows is that accurate. I've seen people claiming 3-5 oz off plants that are the same size as my soil grows and I only get just over 1 oz per plant n the nugs are very dense when I nail it in soil. Are they lying about their yields to make themselves look superior or weighing it for the camera with water still in the buds? Or is the weight actually much more superior to soil grows ?

So do I need to use cannazyme and all that extra crap they sell as extras or can I just get away with a+b+calmag + 2-3 weeks into flower one dose of potash . And some bio/humic 2weeks out when dropping off the a and b . And also when the seedlings are sprouting should I raise the autos in smaller pots? I'm worried about giving the babies nutes but not having to water to run off coz they are so small and nutes building up and forming a acidic environment innthe coco . Coz from what I've seen people don't soak all the coco the first couple of weeks. Or do i just give extremely weak nutes for the first 2 weeks or so ?
No you don't need to use Cannazyme/Boost etc but presumably they are beneficial - I just don't see any effect whereas an organic seaweed rinse is a noticeable boost in 24hrs
Doesn't really matter if you start Autos in little pots or not, makes zero difference in the end
You don't need to worry about overwatering in coco as any excess will drain out
And yes, I use weak feed + RootJuice for the first couple of weeks, Space Cookies at the moment :cool:

An Ec. of 1.2 could be 840 or 600 depending on where in the world you live. Not sure about bigger or heavier nugs, too many other variables in that equation. My hydro system can produce One plant at about average of 350 grams or four plants that average maybe 100 to 200 each. Haven't done a one lb. plant, YET.
Sounds like you've got it down pat brother . I hope I don't fuck this up. I'm pretty picky with my growing so I doubt I will ever forget to water or mix nutes incorrectly. I'm pretty good with maths and English so I never really miss interpret any instructions or diagrams. Been studying for a few weeks hardcore on coco and dwc . Decided to go with coco so avoid it swings and resoviour temp control hassles . Hopefully it pays off i really need to make enough to pay for ,my tent light and carbon filter . 1900 AUD. Hopefully get hslf a pound out of 6 autos . Fingers crossed

No you don't need to use Cannazyme/Boost etc but presumably they are beneficial - I just don't see any effect whereas an organic seaweed rinse is a noticeable boost in 24hrs
Doesn't really matter if you start Autos in little pots or not, makes zero difference in the end
You don't need to worry about overwatering in coco as any excess will drain out
And yes, I use weak feed + RootJuice for the first couple of weeks, Space Cookies at the moment :cool:
And is it just canna a and b from start until 2 weeks out? Or is there a bloom a and b in canna ?

I think they do a Flora version but not convinced it's necessary with PK + a drop or two of high P organic such as BioBloom/TopMax
This is what I use I'm my soil for extra p and k . Just potassium and phosphorus. Will that be sufficient ? I'm Australia and have diff nutes
And how much of the potash do you recommend I add per litre of water with the canna a+b?

Screenshot_20210613-231909_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210613-231904_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210613-231857_Chrome.jpg

Cool so I just give one hit of that at around week 3 and that's it?
One more question and I think I'm schooled up. Just wondering ,....when I'm watering them as young babies do i need to water the coco to runoff or because the solution will be starting off at around quarter doses of nutes it's ok not to water to run off for the first couple of weeks?

Yes and yes, though I tend to stand babies in 1" weak feed and let the soil draw it up, then drain
So just make up a container of ph'd weaker nutes and let it wick up from the bottom up and the remove from solution. Can I use the same container with nutes for all 6 plants ? Ok last question I promise lol what week do you start giving full strength nutes and water to run off from the top? Or do,you just bottom feed and wick entire grow?

Yes, pretty much, common sense will tell you if it's having the desired effect or not
I start top drenching around 3 weeks 1/4 strength, depending how fast it's growing etc and slowly up the dosage, but hardly ever the full dosage and plain pH'd water/(CalMag occasionally) between feeds keeps them a healthy green
I think that's everything covered lol
Enjoy the ride :cool:

Back
Top Bottom