Colombian Gold technique?

biodieselbenz

Hey Everyone...

So I was reading around here a week or so ago and I read a post regarding how Colombian Gold was cured back in the day (sigh, I wasn't even a thought...). So according to what I read, the gardeners would harvest the pot, trim it, and then toss it in stacks in the hot Colombian sun. It was turned daily to get complete and even sun exposure, kind of like compost.

So my thought...

Could you not use your HPS lamps and essentially do the same thing? The warmth and the spectrum are nearly the same, minus the UV (which I have no idea whether or not it affects anything). Let me know if anyone thinks it's a decent idea, and I'll report the results since I'll be pulling my first harvest here in the next week.

Thanks!

T-Co

Damn, I'm glad I asked. I'll definitely stick with the tried and true bag n jar methods. I'm so excitied... it's my first crop, probably will be in the realm of at least 3.5 oz... the thing is as tall as i am now... Cali Orange :bongrip: :bongrip:

Thanks Urd,

T

In Columbia they would pile the branches in huge piles and turn the piles daily, like you do with compost.
They would take them inside before they got brittle.
Yes, sunlight degrades weed (anout 10% loss in potency I've read) but even so the weed was so potent that if you smokes 1/4 joint while driving you'd forget where you were going and what you were gonna do when you got there. I know this from personal experience.
One year I tried it with unsatisfactory results. I discovered that it took an equatorial sun to accomplish this process.
I have a friend who tried it indoors under HPS but it just turned it a very mild gold color.
If you want a sure thing, go with bag drying.

yup,i heard the secrets of obtaining the color,the growers would harvest the plants,stuff in burlap bags,toss in piles,and rotate bags till dried....which didn't take long....alas columbian gold,panama red.........

I don't think any bags wewre involved, but the piles as mentioned previously.

I remember getting a few bags of the stuff way back in maybe 1983 from a cook/chef i used to work with at a restaurant.

I just remember being totally stoned, quite lethargic to tell the truth, and after one fat gram of a joint. It could've been the summer sun, but I'm pretty sure it was the weed.

I think it would've been better greener.

I also read about a tech where they would strip bark from the base of the plant in a stripe around the stem, then let it sit for a time....Not recommending, or anything, cuz I never tried it.

Urdedpal said:
Light degrades cannabinoids. Would be less potent and a waste of electricity.
Would also be harsh and brittle.

EXACTLY! Ultra-violet light (sunlight) will destroy the trichomes and decrease potency.

RangerDanger said:
In Columbia they would pile the branches in huge piles and turn the piles daily, like you do with compost.
I've read that the main reason to do it this way is to compost/ferment the chlorophyl in the leaves to help give the buds a sweeter tastes. You need A LOT of plant matter though; like a 3 cubic foot pile. And it sounded like you could screw it up pretty bad if you didn't know what you were doing, or didn't monitor it closely.

Well they had poor techinique and it still kicked your ass! Just think how good it would have been if done properly. Also it makes me doubt the point of "...the pot today is 20x stronger than back in the day." comments the nay-sayers always spout.

dude its scientifically proven we have a higher thc content per volume then back anytime in the day, i dont care if u were born on sunday lol early suday, sorry iam just a smart ass, actually i believe if some of the oldens that smoked back in reefer madness days, had a hit of our most delicate of flowers, it would probably give him a heart attack, back in the day weed, so to say was guttoral and pretty much barbaric.

Akornpatch said:
Well they had poor techinique and it still kicked your ass! Just think how good it would have been if done properly. Also it makes me doubt the point of "...the pot today is 20x stronger than back in the day." comments the nay-sayers always spout.
I don't think their technique was poor at all. The tobaco in some expecive cigars is still treat in this manor. I think it's a shame it's still not done. I think it could be done on a smaller scale, but it would be pretty labor intensive, and I wouldn't want to waist the bud experimenting.

"Pot is stronger to-day than back in the 60's/70's etc."
BULLSHIT.
People who say that are either liars or ignoramuses.
We used to get Acapulco Gold back in the 60's, and in the 70's we got Columbian Gold and Thai stick.
Thai stick mmmmmmm.
Example: Me and a friend were driving to another friends and we sparked up a joint of Columbian Gold. We still had 1/3 of a jay to go when we realized we couldn't remember
-Where we were
-Where we were going
-What we were gonna do when we got there.
We knew that eventually we'd remember and we did like half an hour later.

There was crappy pot and kick-ass pot back then, just like nowadays.

RangerDanger said:
"Pot is stronger to-day than back in the 60's/70's etc."
BULLSHIT.
People who say that are either liars or ignoramuses.
We used to get Acapulco Gold back in the 60's, and in the 70's we got Columbian Gold and Thai stick.
Thai stick mmmmmmm.
Example: Me and a friend were driving to another friends and we sparked up a joint of Columbian Gold. We still had 1/3 of a jay to go when we realized we couldn't remember
-Where we were
-Where we were going
-What we were gonna do when we got there.
We knew that eventually we'd remember and we did like half an hour later.

There was crappy pot and kick-ass pot back then, just like nowadays.

Hear! Hear! I couldn't of said it better myself. Just seeing those old strains in print made me remember some kick ass memories! I miss the thai stick the most I think. I remember smoking some and getting so high I literally couldn't see. I haven't found a modern strain yet that could do that and trust me, I've looked! lol

its actually not proven that we have more potent weed today. High thc plants are more widely available, but this does not correlate to plant strengths. The differece in potency is due to growing, drying, and curing techniques used. The whole stronger pot argument is false.

I read somewhere long ago that plants that were ripe would be ringbarked to in effect starve the plant, and hasten the metabolisation of chlorophyl, giving it that golden colour when dried. Not sure if that's true.
As far as the old weed goes, I have to side with Racefan and Rangerdanger. I don't know if they remember but there used to be a famous Australian strain called Mullumbimby Madness. A lot of Vietnam Vets probably came across it when they were in Australia on R&R. It was a classic blasting tropical sativa that gave the old Thai sticks a run for their money. Gees, the old Thai sticks eh - you really used to go ballistic on them. They aren't exported much, if at all any more, but you can still get them in the highlands if you visit. The opiated Thai sticks were something that you could only dream of DankCloset, despite your claims that modern strains are the ants pants. New isn't always best!

Cali Orange :headbanger: :tommy: :headbanger:

man i love the orange stuff :bong: :bong: :bong: :bong: :bong:
!!!!!

just ordered this, i was desperate because its pretty hard to find a specific flavor around here. and i really needed some orange medication.

Dutchmen's Royal Orange
A real royal treat. Developed in California and Holland this is a F-1 hybrid. Perfect for a lazy daze in the sun. This regal variety has a very sweet smell and hashish taste. The high is a strong buzz but still manages to retain clear. A short and wide plant with tight rocky nuggets, which, despite their density, have terrific mould resistance.

Strain: Mostly Indica
Parentage: Skunk No.1 (male) & Californian Orange (female)
Planting: Indoor / Outdoor (warm climates)
Flowering: 63-77 days / end Oct
Yield: High (up to 500g per sq m)
11 Seeds Per Packet

Thai sticks ....lime green ones .....red ones ....same strain ? or just cured differently? .....Either way , totally kick ass shit !

Back
Top Bottom