Colombian Gold technique?

Good weed was just less accessable back in the day. The has always been very strong weed. Back in the 60's and 70's, growing, drying, and if at all curing methods were primitive compared to the care taken. So of course, plants grown with care will be more potent, but it is in no way due to potency just suddenly increasing.

They dried the stuff the easiest and cheapest way they knew how. Also, how the hell are they supposed to use the jar method on like literally tons of bud?

Well they had poor techinique and it still kicked your ass! Just think how good it would have been if done properly. Also it makes me doubt the point of "...the pot today is 20x stronger than back in the day." comments the nay-sayers always spout.

All information from the American government regarding potency is a lie. Peoples around the world have been using sensimilla growing techniques for thousands of years. I'm sure bud quality has improved a bit since then, but certainly not 20x.
:robgriffin:

First Documentation was in 1972 in Cali. I forgot the guys name. But before that it was all seeded bud that was used all over the world for thousands of years. Our ancestors just weren't very bright.

A passage from George Washington's own diary would suggest different, even to the most doubting of Thomases:

May 12-13 1765: "Sowed Hemp at Muddy hole by Swamp."
August 7, 1765: "--began to seperate (sic) the Male from the Female Hemp at Do--rather too late."

So, push that back from 1972 to 1765, as far as documentation goes.

A passage from George Washington's own diary would suggest different, even to the most doubting of Thomases:

May 12-13 1765: "Sowed Hemp at Muddy hole by Swamp."
August 7, 1765: "--began to seperate (sic) the Male from the Female Hemp at Do--rather too late."

So, push that back from 1972 to 1765, as far as documentation goes.

I read something very similar buddy, If you need more on the subject may I suggest a author name Robert Clarke. I have a answer too. Male and female plants are very easy to identify, heavily seeded hemp is harder to manage and they were mostly after the fiber, in the horticulture world this is practise for centuries and not just with hemp. Unfortunately, the reference was toward seed reduction, not sensimilla. There are a lot more references about this in his book called Hashish. I can dig up more info on the subject, but even in his book, the history becomes a dry read.
Anyways, I am a grower not a scholar so historical references are not the top of my list of things to learn and do. I am also not a debater on the subject, just throwing out a lil info I have read. There is a nice portion in the book that also talks in detail more about the gold hue of columbion gold which is what this thread was create for in the first place. But I am happy to see people wanting know more about the history and origins of are beloved plant.

Likewise, though I'm not sure if it was 1976 or 1977. It was on a car trip to Flagstaff and then bicycling trip from Flagstaff to and along the south rim of the Grand Canyon. What I remember most about the Gold was saying "this is really strange" and "this is really weird"! ...and listening to Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Good Morning - Good Morning! - with all of the animal sounds as the sun rose in the desert).

Males were removed after they pollenated the females so there were nurts for the females to develope and finish.
At least thats what I understood from Jeffersons notes:
hemp. plough the ground for it early in the fall & very deep, if possible
plough it again in Feb. before you sow it, which should be in March.
a hand can tend 3. acres of hemp a year.
tolerable ground yields 500. lb to the acre. you may generally count on
100 lb for every foot the hemp is over 4. f. high.
a hand will break 60. or 70. lb a day, and even to 150. lb.
if it is divided with an overseer, divide it as it is prepared.
seed. to make hemp seed, make hills of the form & size of cucumber hills, from 4. to
6. f. apart, in proportion to the strength of the ground. prick about a dozen
seeds into each hill, in different parts of it. when they come up thin them
to two. as soon as the male plants have shed their farina, cut them up that
the whole nourishment may go to the female plants. every plant thus
ended will yield a quart of seed. a bushel of good brown seed is enough for an acre.

You really have to search and read, they don't make it easy:
Thomas Jefferson Papers : An Electronic Archive

Moose - thanks for the video mate! That was really strange, really weird! lol It brought a big smile and good feelings as I remember that car drive w/ good friends, and the subsequent bike trip. Almost had a flashback...:cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

I'll just say this:

If Washington was growing fiber hemp that he was separating the males from, how come he wasn't working in the fields, and made a special entry about his planting at the "muddy hole by the swamp?"

Then he goes back to the muddy hole and removes the males! Do you think the "muddy hole" was a few hectares? He obviously wasn't breeding anything, as he didn't want seeds, and obviously wanted it way away from his normal hemp.

Also, the first post is a little off here. It mentions that HPS is the same spectrum as the sun, which is untrue. The spectrum of HPS is often said to be like the autumn sun (which it really isn't). Colombia is so close to the equator that it really has NO autumn, and the sun's spectrum there year-round would be much better approximated by a MH lamp.

Another question that would have to answered in the pursuit of the technique of the Gold Weed would be to know where in Colombia it was grown, as the country is quite diverse in terms of landscape, elevation and precipitation and relative humidity throughout the year.

I believe the weed harvest season in Colombia is in January.

It would be more like using both lights. You really can't compete with equatorial sunlight. As for when its harvest in that region, I have no clue. I do know that Jamaica has 3 harvest per year. I never followed up how that was done though.

I am not going to argue friend, I just go by the info that I have found and what I believe to be reliable. I can tell you this, one of the reasons sensamilla was discovered so late was because of indoor growing. With out artificial light, there was no ability to clone or keep a plant from flowering. So seed was the only way people in the past can obtain a harvest for next season. There were no hybrids, just selective breeding by taking seeds from the strongest of plants to sow for the following season. I really think you would like that book I mentioned before, has alot of factual info with acurate historical data. Very nice chatting with ya.

I've seen the Clarke book. Admitting having read a couple of his books makes me feel as dated as some of the information in them.

There is a book - Sinsemilla: Marijuana Flowers (1976), by Jim Richardson and Arik Woods from And/Or press. It pretty much goes over sinsemilla in detail, from the nature, to the then-current outdoor cultivation of seedless pot, which had obviously been going on for a few years, outdoors, before the authors had collected the photos and information used in it.

People just weren't going to do the work to clear the field of the males - it was only ever done on a small-scale level up until the late sixties/early seventies.

Bhang, from India, is preferentially made from leaves and flowers of unseeded cannabis.

People have known about sinsemilla longer than english has been spoken. We humans have been growing cannabis for more than 5,000 years. If we could breed different varieties of dogs and food crops, know well that the basic nature of cannabis and it's preparations have been known for millennia.

Seen the book but never picked it up, not even sure if its in print anymore. I have been watching this thread in hopes of seeing you pop up. Always enjoyed talking to people who backs up there arguments. This debation is over for me, it would be very close minded to think nobody ever found a way to make seedless potent bud since mj has been with humans for so long. Too much history of the plant was never recorded or was destroyed over the course of time. :peace::peace:
Besides, I ain't no historian. I am a gardener lol. A gardener who smokes too much to boot.:Rasta:

Not that anyone is reading this anymore, but the males were seperated from the females for the
twine, thread, fiber ah that's it. The males have a more delicate fiber they wove. Arby's uses
decorticators to splat roastbeef on walls, then scrapes it together to make compressed meat.
But the machines were made to extract the finer fiber of the males. Then it was woven into nighties that were
smooth as silk! Hemp teddies and Sharkshin jackets, real sharkskin, not gaberdeen. Anti dope nazis make us
forget everything. And the sharkskin treatment is a lost process as well. Waste of sharkskin.

A friend of mine cures his herb the same way he cures his tobacco- in plastic bags. Never got the full degails. Some process of high humidity 'sweating'. Almost a fermenting or composting technique. His herb is very sweet tasting- dark colored and rich. I used to see a lot of similar stuff in south east Asia. Brown buds. I think generally speaking the process you're describing is a form of the same process they use for curing tobacco. On the small scale most of us would be using for cannabis- I think a humidity vault of some sort or a plastic bag could work.

Well they had poor techinique and it still kicked your ass! Just think how good it would have been if done properly. Also it makes me doubt the point of "...the pot today is 20x stronger than back in the day." comments the nay-sayers always spout.
The Columbian was as good as any weed now! The best buds had immature seeds as well. Red, black and orange, brown. They all had teeny white seeds and were so gooey we called them goo buds. Most gold had mature seeds however and was usually drier!

Back
Top Bottom