Completely Organic Homemade Insecticide

Thanks for the info. Looks like a winner. Made it through my first grow without a problem but I'm sure I'll be trying it in the future.

So winter time is coming and the fiance wanter to bring her (baby elder, lavender, and sage's) into the house for the winter time. so in the upstairs (well away from my gardens) i set up a small t5 light for her plants to survive the winter. theyve been up there for about 3 days and yesterday morning she came down and said those terrible words.. "there is webbing on the lower part of my lavender"

well this lavender is a bushy SoaB.. easily the best we have grown so far and kept healthy. so i got to making a batch of the spray.

This time i incorporated a few ideas that members have added to this thread. so let me get started with the new recipe i mixed yesterday.

2.2 Liters of water
Heat till it steams
placed 12 chopped up habaneras
4 chopped up lemons
(unknown amount of rosemary extract) if i was to guess it was around 1 Tablespoon
(while its still heated)
Added a half tablespoon of Peppermint Dr Bronners soap

Let this cool down to room temp
Strain the contents out of the juice
funnel it into your spray bottle of choice (i like pressure sprayers, pump it and point)
Cover all skin and wear a mask. this is pepper spray thats been hybrid into some strong smelling stuff now.

this batch smelled more like rosemary then anything, but when (i) [dont recommend doing this] dipped my finger in it and smelled it up close, i could smell the pepper with a hint of lemon.

i told the fiance to cover the lavender in a see through garbage bag and to spray the living shit out of it. leave it covered for 2-4 hours and take the bag off and place inside a clean bag, dispose of the bag outside and wash hands.

its always fun bringing outside plants back inside..

ill be making another batch and will take pictures through the process since i make different sprays for 1-2 weeks straight switching them up every 2 days.

at the time i did not think of taking pictures, just acted to get rid of these pests.

I&i

ive uploaded one picture of the new spray ive made in my thread "pictures of homemade insecticide"

i will have a new walkthrough pic by pic of the new spray inspired by two other members here at 420mag.

combination of habanera peppers, lemon, and rosemary extract.

I&i

I have had good results using essential rosemary oil, dish soap, and water to combat spider mites. I have looked at the mites under extreme scrutiny, and have found that this does indeed kill them. Although I am unsure if it harms the eggs very much. I just mist them everyday and it works for me. I use 10 ml oil, a few drops of dish soap, and 3/4 gallon of water. Hope that this helps someone. I have used the habanero pepper recipe before but it didn't seem to work as well as the oil.

I recommend for your to click on the link in my signature "pictures of homemade insecticide" you will see a plant I cured this last summer with mainly habanera and a little Dr bronners. I always mix my sprays differently, never the same. Soap does work, its suffocating them but sticks to your plants longer then habanera. Habanera and rosemary are great for flower sprays. Veg, I treat Dr bronners like neam oil.

When my clones get hit, I simply just fill a bucket of 5g water and dunk the entire clone up to the soil, for about 30 seconds then take it out, and dip the clone up and down a handful of times "rinsing" them and their poo off. Do this 3 days straight up to 2-3 times in a 16 hr period.

I&I

I have had good results using essential rosemary oil, dish soap, and water to combat spider mites. I have looked at the mites under extreme scrutiny, and have found that this does indeed kill them. Although I am unsure if it harms the eggs very much. I just mist them everyday and it works for me. I use 10 ml oil, a few drops of dish soap, and 3/4 gallon of water. Hope that this helps someone. I have used the habanero pepper recipe before but it didn't seem to work as well as the oil.

You don't need that much oil LB. Save yourself some money and use a few drops instead unless you really like the smell lol. I only use drops and it killed the mites within seconds. There is a link to a video I made under a microscope in my signature and that solution only had about 20 drops of oil.

You don't need that much oil LB. Save yourself some money and use a few drops instead unless you really like the smell lol. I only use drops and it killed the mites within seconds. There is a link to a video I made under a microscope in my signature and that solution only had about 20 drops of oil.

It does smell good, lol. Thank you very much for the tip. I'll make a weaker solution next time I see those little bastards. I also heard just growing rosemary in the area you have your ladies because it will deter those pesky mites. Although, I have yet to try that.

It does smell good, lol. Thank you very much for the tip. I'll make a weaker solution next time I see those little bastards. I also heard just growing rosemary in the area you have your ladies because it will deter those pesky mites. Although, I have yet to try that.

There's more mate. I cut this for you.

Spider Mite Varieties
There are several kinds of spider mites, many of which belong to the Tetranychus genus and are known by alternative names. Red spider mites, for instance, are simply called red spiders or clover mites. Other names for common spider mites that target plants include twospotted spider mite, strawberry spider mite and Pacific spider mite.

Herbs
Chinese parsley (Coriandrum sativum) is an annual culinary herb, and a companion to dill, anise, carraway and potatoes, that repels spider mites. A deterrent spray can also be made from an infusion, or strong tea, of the leaves. Most people know this plant as cilantro, a name that specifically refers to the leaf. The seed, however, is known as the spice coriander. Another annual herb said to repel spider mites is dill, which is considered an excellent companion plant to cabbage and lettuce. Certain herbs in the allium family -- garlic (Allium sativum) and chives (Allium schoenoprasum) -- reputedly benefit a variety of plants and vegetables and specifically protect tomatoes from red spiders. Garlic and chives are perennials in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 3 through 8 and USDA zones 3 through 10, respectively.

Flowers
Chrysanthemum (Dendranthema grandiflorum) is a generic term for a variety of perennial flowers collectively referred to as mums, most of which are hardy in USDA zones 5 through 9. As the source of the natural insecticide pyrethrum, mums are good companions for a variety of other plants, because they deter several common pests, including spider mites. Shasta daisy (Leucanthemum x superbum), a perennial ground cover and border plant suitable for USDA zones 4 through 10, attracts beneficial species that feed on spider mites, such as pirate bugs and predatory mites.

Vegetables
As botanical cousins to garlic and chives, onion (Allium cepa) and leek (Allium ampeloprasum porrum) also benefit a variety of other vegetables and ornamental plants while deterring red spider mites. Leek is hardy in USDA zones 7 and warmer, while onion, depending on the species and cultivar, is grown as an ornamental and a vegetable in USDA zones 3 through 9. Rhubarb (Rheum rhabarbarum), suitable for USDA zones 3 through 8, deters red spider mites and is beneficial to broccoli, cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables.

Mites seem to go after the plants with a weakened immune system... sometimes you will see the biggest problems with the plants that are also infected with Pythium. It is best to try and reduce temperatures down to 17 degrees C, spray with dishsoap/isopropanol mix and use lots of ventillation. The only way to isolate this issue is to shutdown the grow room, clean, sterilize and leave it dorment for a few weeks. I would say that making sure the plants are strong and healthy from seed/clone is important when you reintroduce them to the room. You can put the plants in a camping tent aswell and introduce benefical insects or nemotodes. Lady bugs are a good low cost choice if you see the colonies growing large.

Hope this helps.

The habenero route does work if you stay on top of it. People should really check out green clean. Now its called green kleen. I'll never not use anything else. I spray it at the clone box. Once transplanted to 7 gallon in veg. Then right before I put them in flower room. I've had no mites for over a year and a half now. That stuff is amazing. Habenero does work but like the original post it takes numerous applications

Back
Top Bottom