Confused! Illegal is ok but Legal is not? (Rant)

Snuggs

Just had some rather disturbing things happen to me with my doc the other day. Long story short I get in the office and start going through the usual procedures and questions. Then the any drugs or alcohol question comes up and I of course deny alcohol but confirm my use of mj. All is fine and I was asked my usage with mj and then proceeded to tell them that I did register and am state legal. It was then my doctors attitude had completely flipped.

He was like oh you got your card huh, well make sure your doctors have all your papers because there gonna get audited. And I was like ok that's fine I am sure my doctor doesn't plan on getting rid of my papers anytime soon. Then all the sudden he wants to drop me because "now you have marijuana". I naturally defended myself very respectfully and told him that now you guys want to kick me to the curb after 2 + years. I also told him that my being medical has absolutely nothing to do with what they are treating me for.

He started mumbling things under his breath like "Oh God hear we go" and various comments anytime I would try and defend myself or make a rebuttal. Then he grabs a paper and states he is writing to my insurance to tell them I am a medical marijuana user. Wouldn't that be illegal on his part? Anyhow being that I had medicated before, I was able to be very calm and just walked out of the office.

I did return a few minutes later and asked for a supervisor of some sort. The supervisor was not in but I was able to speak with someone and should be hearing from a supervisor today.

The funny thing is not once did he have any problems with me using mj for the 2 + years I have been there and in fact wrote in my med papers that he has seen substantial improvement. He did make a comment about "well I can't tell you to stop now."

The other funny thing is I just proved how beneficial mmj is to me as it kept me calm and allowed me to rationalize what I was doing before it just happened. In a previous situation without the use of mj I have blacked out and started throwing chairs. This was also commented on by the person I spoke with afterwords.

I just needed to vent and get some frustration out. ----But the rest is going Up in smoke! :grinjoint:

Up Up and away ---------------------------------------:Rasta:

I would have thrown a chair at him. He is a pill pusher and likes to protect his occupation and big pharma. He sees us as a danger to his living.
Brainwashing the people works, and has worked well in the past.
Thank you for the spirited rant brother.

I would of loved to flung a chair but I've been doing a whole lot of soul searching lately and basically doing what I can to not disturb my place in what I call the life line.

Yeah in my conversation with the person afterwords they stated "we feel that the type of patients here will require some form of medication for life" . I was rather disappointed in that!

I never would have expected this from this Doctor. He was very professional, stern and confident. I honestly respected him.

I am a very layed back guy, ie: proper manors, respectful, non-judgmental unless you deserved to be judged and then I will judge the s**t out of ya! :grinjoint: But I absolutely hate it when people judge or disrespect a person when themselves have not gotten that treatment from the person. While I'm saying this I absolutely hate people without common sense and liers. errrrrrr. :grinjoint:

Needless to say now I feel I was burned and I'm about to do some burning back. I've realized that one little old person can give a hell of a burning with a little motivation.

I think, whether they want to admit it or not, the evidence is so compelling that Cannabis can mitigate so many different medical issues that they do see it as a threat to their business.

That's disappointing. And I would assume that it would be against the law for him to contact your insurance. Isn't their a confidentiality rule, unless you are doing something to harm another person, or yourself? And, in that case, I would assume he would alert the proper authorities so protect you (have you admitted someplace) or protect the other party that could be in harm (so alert the police). No place in there can I find a reason for him to alert you insurance company, unless you were there for a physical so that you could obtain a new insurance carrier.

I think, whether they want to admit it or not, the evidence is so compelling that Cannabis can mitigate so many different medical issues that they do see it as a threat to their business.

The irony in it all was when I wanted off meds he would claim you can't just stop you would have to ween off them. But suddenly it's ok to kick me out without any meds or help.

No place in there can I find a reason for him to alert you insurance company, unless you were there for a physical so that you could obtain a new insurance carrier.

Me neither and honestly I think that this was the best I have ever handled a situation like this. No physical and like I said the mmj has nothing to do with these guys and the insurance is only specific to this company.

When I was a kid I went through some similar situations getting dropped from services that were there to supposedly help you. I really think those constant ups and downs have given me a good chunk of my current problems. I even noted that in a letter before I started going to this place. Basically said I will do my best in working with these doctors and company as long as I would not be kicked to the curb later because I just don't want to waste the time.

I think for now I am going to set up a meeting with someone in charge and might just even make a formal complaint. Heck I might even go as far to go get one notarized!

The irony in it all was when I wanted off meds he would claim you can't just stop you would have to ween off them. But suddenly it's ok to kick me out without any meds or help.
How professional!
Me neither and honestly I think that this was the best I have ever handled a situation like this.
:goodjob:
I think for now I am going to set up a meeting with someone in charge and might just even make a formal complaint. Heck I might even go as far to go get one notarized!
Again good job, If all else fails, there is still the chair.
JERKS.

Now we got a situation! I decided to quit smoking cig's on 4/20 don't know why yet but I just rolled with it. My first full day off was the same day all this went down. Amazingly I never bought a pack of smokes, but uh I did use a bit more mj :smokin:. Hold on peeps... Brace yourself... I JUST ROLLED MY LAST ONE

Oh No! Surprisingly, right now I think it's hilarious. :Rasta: Just thought I would share how my luck rolls. But on a side note do not fear, I am in a very good place right now... :smokin:

If I could somehow type the Peter Griffin laugh here that would just top this. :grinjoint:

I would set up a meeting too. I think that it is called for. It's no different than if you were to disclose that you took any other medication or say, an herbal supplement or something. "I'm gonna call your insurance and tattle." Or call your mom. Or the lady in the waiting room. Or talk about this over coffee with someone. I mean, it's just unprofessional. I know it sounds like I'm taking it too far, but IMHO, when you have a doc/patient confidentiality and you are supposed to be able to feel 100% confident that you can discuss all of your medical information in privacy, well, I would feel like that confidence and discretion were stolen from me if my doctor told me that he was telling someone else - a stranger - something that he had no right to.

Every medical building/hospital that I've been into has a "Bill of Rights" hanging on the wall in several places, and it explains what the docs are required to do as well as the patients. One of the most important things on there is for the patient to disclose all medical info to the best of their knowledge (which you did - everything you know about yourself and all medications you are taking) and as for the doc, to keep all of your medical info you his/herself - which basically, he said he was no going to do. That goes against the promise/oath he took as well as every "Bill of Rights" I have ever read.

ETA: I'm just making a note that this post irritated me as someone who used to work in a medical profession. Seeing things from that perspective as well as now being on the patient side of it... it's just annoying. I hate it when dumb people give medical personal a bad name. I wasn't a doc, but still... there are some good ones out there. I wish the idiots would get their heads out of their butts.

I know it sounds like I'm taking it too far, but IMHO, when you have a doc/patient confidentiality and you are supposed to be able to feel 100% confident that you can discuss all of your medical information in privacy, well, I would feel like that confidence and discretion were stolen from me if my doctor told me that he was telling someone else - a stranger - something that he had no right to.

Right on! My wife would even tell me "you shouldn't tell them" even when I wasn't registered. I think now if I only would have just lied myself I wouldn't have to face these issues. But hey that's what ya get for being true to yourself.

Would you be surprised to find out most people don't know this.
Some people still want penalties increased, because that's the way to stop this problem.
We are still a problem. sad, very sad.
:peace:

Oh yes, I know.
To most lay-people, I have more cannabis knowledge than they will ever know. And most people are amazed at what they hear.

I would have to have a lil free consult talk with an attorney for starters.

At a minimum I would print out a few leaflets with the headline of this patent with a lil of this info on it.
Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants - US Patent 6630507 Abstract

Then I would stand outside of their office making sure I am on the public sidewalk and then proceed to pass out the literature and tell any and everyone who will listen my story.
Maybe starting with the press in an interview upon starting, you can even ask to have your last name withheld.

Without you signing a release form it is not legal to release your medical records. Being your insurance company it very well could be more complicated?

Also it is in fact a crime in the US to deny one medicine. So you have more power over these lil intimidation/manipulation techniques being used on you, than you may think.

Hey Man, I feel for you.

At the very least this was an unprofessional doctor, and you shouldn't see him/her any longer. Can you imagine if you were getting inspected in the most personal of areas and the doctor started laughing or making comments. Quite honestly, I couldn't ever trust a health professional that made me feel uncomfortable for whatever reason. And I've been "fired" by a doctor before, all over taking prescription pills. So I wouldn't take it personally. Eff him, his $$ loss.

However, like someone above stated, I'm pretty sure whatever is contained in your medical file with that health professional is/can be shared with your insurance carrier, if requested. In each instance with my doctors, I've answered questioning about MJ use and specifically asked them to not keep a note of that in the record. Both of these doctors both understood that I was sharing this information with them for the benefit of any treatment and/or diagnosis, but I wasn't sharing this for the insurance company. Neither of my doctors had a problem with that and respected my explanation.

If you want to take it further, each state has a department of professional regulation (or similar) that actually might launch some type of investigation, but basically, I would just chalk-it-up to a learning experience, and find a doctor that you really like and trust. It's hard but they are out there!

Hopefully with the new Health Care law, some of these "games" won't have to be played with the Insurance Companies.

SF

Here is what I've come across for you. This post has had be not only upset for you, but researching as well. I hope that something here can help

And this doesn't answer anything really, but I came along it in the search and it was still helpful to me, so I'm gonna share it

eff that doctor! Arrogant prick. I see a pain management doctor. When i began seeing him it was like he was a Godsend. After 5 years of seeing him I've begun to think that pain management doctors are serious whores to the pharma companies. Pills not working ... take more ..and take stronger meds ... lol. What they don't tell you is one day either you will die still being addicted to these pills, or you will nearly die trying to stop taking them ... when in reality they should say ... go smoke some blunts when you feel the withdrawals coming and eventually your quality of life will drastically improve.

I look around the office ... all these effed up patients ... limping, hunching over, in wheel chairs, ect ... zombies ... all going in for their 2 month check-in with the dope dealer.

I look around more ... script pads advertising oxycontin ... fentenyl suckers, patches, loritab, morphine sulfate ... pens with the same advertisements.

My assigned nurse practitioner has made the comment several times about my very keen sense of awareness and zest for life. The doctor knows I smoke, but doesn't know sort of thing. I respect him ... he respects me ...and the $395 per 15minute visit every couple of months is really all he wants I think.

Lastly, I don't think your doctor that was mumbling under his breath is worth your money ..or your insurance money. As for an argument... I would mention to your insurance company that these script bills would be much higher without MM.

Back
Top Bottom