Converting Auto to Photoperiod

The Bard

Maybe more of an academic/theoretical question. Some cultivars I have only been able to find in auto form. One notable example is DDA. I am wondering if it is possible through a series of crosses to end up with a photoperiod version of the strain?

One way to go about this would be to determine the lineage with photoperiod ancestors, and try to recreate the strain through breeding. DDA looks to be the offspring of multiple crosses, with Big Devil Auto, Hindu Kush, Jack Herer, and other unknown/undisclosed genetics in the mix. So going this route seems like a bit of a crap-shoot.

But suppose I were to start with a nice specimen of DDA, which by definition would have "pp" as its gene for photoperiod/autoflowering. If I were to cross it with, for example, a Jack Herer photo (which would be PP), the offspring would be 100% Pp in the F1s. And each one, in theory would be a blend of JH and DDA characteristics, roughly 50/50.

If I took one of the photo F1s (Pp) and back crossed to the DDA parent (pp), I should get Pp (50%), and pp (50%) in the F2. I could then take only the Pp offspring, and back-cross to a "pure" DDA (pp), over and over. Each back cross to the pure DDA parent should increase the expression of the DDA traits, but with a photoperiod character. After multiple generations, the dominant P photoperiod gene should be retained, but more and more of the other traits from the DDA should appear as less and less of the JH genes are retained. All that the JH is contributing is the P characteristic.

There of course would be mutations, and lots of other variables, but in theory would this be a way to "de-auto" a cultivar? I don't know if there are the equivalent of sex-linked genes in cannabis (kind of like male baldness in humans)? And maybe there are other recessive characteristics to the DDA that would always be hidden by the dominant gene from the JH?

Maybe @Pennywise @beez0404 or anyone else who has some opinions/expertise on cannabis genetics can share their thoughts? I did try a quick google search on this, but didn't find anything.

On the other hand, maybe there are already Dark Devil seeds out there that are photoperiod, but I have only seen DDA seeds so far.

As I said, a pretty theoretical question, but was just curious.

Thanks!

If it were me here's how I would do it: cross your DDA with a Jack Herer grow out a number of offspring and look for a female that closely match's the original DDA. This female will be the new mother. Then choose a male sibling and cross him with a clone of the New Mom. Continue back crossing males from each new generation back to a clone of the New Mom. After 4 generations you'll have female offspring that possess like 98% of the original moms genes.

If it were me here's how I would do it: cross your DDA with a Jack Herer grow out a number of offspring and look for a female that closely match's the original DDA. This female will be the new mother. Then choose a male sibling and cross him with a clone of the New Mom. Continue back crossing males from each new generation back to a clone of the New Mom. After 4 generations you'll have female offspring that possess like 98% of the original moms genes.

Thanks Penny. Cool ideas. So of course I would need "regular" JH plants to get male and female offspring. I get that part. But how do I clone an auto to keep that side of the family chugging along? I understand the theory of how to clone, but I didn't think cloning autos worked, given they have a finite lifespan/flower period?

I've crossed a few with DDA, it's a fantastic Strain

But backcrossing will take a lonnnnggggggg time...lol

Are u wanting the strain or characteristics of it to be photo?

I've crossed a few with DDA, it's a fantastic Strain

But backcrossing will take a lonnnnggggggg time...lol

Are u wanting the strain or characteristics of it to be photo?

Goal would be to end up with the characteristics of a DDA as much as possible, but with photoperiod growth potential.

Cross it with any photo and they should all be photo.Because it will be the dominant gene once crossed with a photo.Mr .Krip can go indepth more on breeding.

Yes, the F1s will all be photos (Pp), but will also be a blend of the DDA and the other strain. I think backcrossing would be necessary to increase the DDA elements, but retain the P photoperiod. Right?

It seems to me, my pollen seems to carry more traits than does the Fem plant

Wonder if reversing a DDA male pollen would bring more traits Along for the ride

I may have to try it

That will take time indeed

My crosses all have the purple color as well as smoke aspects

Sue has loved the ones she has tried so far

Yup. It was actually Sue's multiple posts on the strain that motivated me to get some seeds. This "de-auto'ing" may not be something I ever actually do. Just thought that puzzling through how to do it was interesting. Thanks everyone for helping/humouring me with it! :)

But male DDA spunk on a Fem photo

Just seems that I've seem more traits passed in the pollen over the Fem plants

Interesting! I have read opinions going both ways on which parent's traits play a bigger role.

Back
Top Bottom