Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small Cabin

DharmaBud

Good Day,

I posted on another forum and got almost 200 views and no responses, which tell me I was either in wrong place, or I didn't warrant an answer.

So I will try again here. I have a small 20'x16' cabin. My original thought before my research was to put a plant on a table top with other vegetables I am growing and light it up with a 4 ft VHO GRO LUX light I have. I didn't know about ventilation or fans or reflective tape. I sure the other people in my other post thought me so ignorant as to not waste their time with an answer.

Since then, I have found two other spots, one is a small closet with no door, maybe 4' wide x 2' deep x 6' height. The other place I have is a room where the water heater is, that is usually warmer than the rest of the cabin, especially on those nights when it gets to 50-60 below zero F. I am just looking for help on what I can do with the better of these two areas with the least amount of money invested. I assume the closet would be better because of the space and the 3 close sides. Would I need to reflect the whole closet? I have no idea how I would vent such a thing. I know I don't have a budget to go buy a tent that is used often in this case. I hope this is enough now to be able to give direction. Please ask questions, I am more than willing to elaborate on things I haven't covered.

Namaste. :Namaste:

Jeff

Re: Coud Really Use Assistence on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small Ca

Hi DharmaBud (Jeff),

Let me start by welcoming you to 420 magazine on behalf of the usually generous and welcoming group of growers and cannabis enthusiasts that frequent the forums. I hope you will find the folks here to be as mutually supportive and generally uplifting as I have.

I read through your original post, as well above and let me start by saying that you should surely be able to grow using the Gro Lux light on the table top. Cannabis is after all a weed that wants to grow, and will in a variety of settings. All the tents, High Intensity lights, reflective wall coverings, nutrients, etc... are more about improving the outcome, rather than strictly neccessary. If you can grow tomatos in that location (table top), I can't imagine a cannabis plant or two wouldn't also grow. You might not acheive a remarkable yield, but it should grow to maturity and reward you with a little something, something to smoke.

The alternate locations you describe (closet and water heater room) would also work, but I wonder if you wouldn't have to purchase another grow light. Would you also move the vegatables to either of these alternate locations. I am trying to be aware of the budgetary limitations you mention in both posts so I'm thinking to keep it as simple as possible.

You mention the night time temps being a factor, and they most assuredly are. Any idea of the night time temps of the table top area when it's 50-60 F below outside? I believe if the night time temps of the table top remain above say 60 or 65 you would be fine. Much below that and it may be wise to relocate closer to the water heater. Is the heater powered by Gas or Electric? How far off time wise are those night time temps? If gas/propane, you might also benefit from a little extra CO2 generated by both the pilot light and burner when it kicks on. There shouldn't be much CO2 escaping into the room, but any little bit helps.

If stealth and smell is not an issue for you, then venting need not be a real concern regardless of location. Your Gro Lux light shouldn't be creating a lot of heat, and frankly any heat it generates is probably more a positive for you, given your location and it's climate.

Sorry you didn't get a more immediate response, but hang in there and together we'll get this figured out. Your not alone out there brother!

Be well.

Re: Coud Really Use Assistence on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small Ca

TanR,

Thank you for your response. I do want a decent outcome and am willing to spend some money, but not the thousands those rip off vendors want for there products. I have what they call a Monitor Heater inside that runs off of a off-road Diesel tank at the back of the house. When its that cold out, I generally keep it at 68 degrees F and am very comfortable. If I can avoid it, I will grow my veggies separate.

Our first frost will be the first week in September and by November there will be consitent temps -20 or below daily. I have apprehensions of even trying marijuana, after 24 years in the military, this would be my first time. Can't believe at 45 I would be categorized as a Virgin lol! I guess in this case I am! I am very fortunate that my landlord leaves me alone. He respects my need for solitude. After 6 tours in Iraq and 3 in Afghanistan as a combat medic, being alone and out of the public eye is my priority and he has been great about that.

So I won't worry much about the ventilation. Now don't get me wrong. I will spend the money to get me decent, quality growth. What I won't do is spend money on those overpriced light boxes they want to sell me. I do believe my closet would be awesome. I just need to know how to arrange it. I was thinking of trying Bob Marley first. I still yet don't know the difference between feminized and not so girlie. If the non-girlie is so less potent, why waste money on it?

I just need to know what I can do with that space I have, to make it condusive to great growth, without breaking the bank.

I will follow with a picture of it in a little bit, if I can get a good pic off the iPhone 4 or I will need to find batteries for my camera.

Thank you again TanR!

Namaste.

Jeff

I was going to write something long, but Tan pretty much covered my thoughts.

This is one of my favorite journals because it teaches so much and shows great results on a budget. Boss's Poor Mans Grow

I've had buddies pull something out of a few plants kept in a bathroom tub shared by a bunch of college students so anything is possible.:welcome:

Great additional info Jeff.

But before all that, I want to take just moment to thank you for your military service. My parents were both Army Veterans (yes, my mother wore combat boots - in 1950!) and I have a bit of a soft spot for Vet's for a number of reasons. I respect your service to our country, and particularly to your fellow soldiers. I'm sure you touched a lot of lives.

With the additional information you've provided, I beleive I have a better idea of the direction in which you wish or are willing to go. I'm going to have to pause again to comment that I'm just amazed you haven't ever tried marijuana but are interested in growing your own. Without being nosey, I'm curious if you are exploring cannabis for dealing with pain (any type physical or otherwise) or more for the recreational aspect?

Either answer (or no answer) would not alter my next thought, which is to say that before you invest any money, and 3 to 4 months in growing some bud, would it be wise to maybe try it first? I've had several acquaintances that lived in AK at least for bit, and I think I remember all of them talking about bud being pretty easy to find.

If that isn't an option, and considering your desire to keep the veggies seperate from the MJ necessitating another light anyway, then I would like to suggest you consider a High Intensity Discharge (HID) light. I just double checked Amaz*n and found that even including shipping to Alaska (although I have no idea of your exact location) you could get a 400 to 600 watt dimable HID with both a Metal Hallide bulb and a High Pressure Sodium bulb for between $135 and $165 bucks. Given your goal of maybe 4 plants or so, either one would serve you well and provide light penetration through the canopy of a cannabis plant that is harder to acheive with Flourescents. The down side of HID's is power consumption and heat. I believe AK has some high electricity rates, so that may be an issue. The heat, as discussed, would probably work to your benefit and would not need dealt with other than perhaps a fan for air movement as much as anything.

If that option doesn't appeal then I would suggest the closet, lined with mylar or another appropraitely reflective lining would be a great place to grow with another VHO flourescent. You would not necessarily need to cover all 4 sides of the closet, but obviously the more reflectivity the better. Venting shouldn't be a concern here either.

The closet would work well with an HID also, but for heat build up reasons I would suggest intentionally leaving the door side open.

One last thought for the moment - Flat white house paint is only slightly less reflective than mylar. If the interior of your closet is not already painted white, could you get away with painting it? I think a cheap off brand flat white couldn't be more than $25 or so and would further reduce your investment.

:Namaste:

TanR,

This is the closet in all its glory.

24ae1492-1f83-4ef4-83d2-d04522998913.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

Dimensions: 64" in height from floor to bar, 34" Wide from left to right, 24" Deep from front to back.

Thank you.

Namaste

Great additional info Jeff.

But before all that, I want to take just moment to thank you for your military service. My parents were both Army Veterans (yes, my mother wore combat boots - in 1950!) and I have a bit of a soft spot for Vet's for a number of reasons. I respect your service to our country, and particularly to your fellow soldiers. I'm sure you touched a lot of lives.

With the additional information you've provided, I beleive I have a better idea of the direction in which you wish or are willing to go. I'm going to have to pause again to comment that I'm just amazed you haven't ever tried marijuana but are interested in growing your own. Without being nosey, I'm curious if you are exploring cannabis for dealing with pain (any type physical or otherwise) or more for the recreational aspect?

Either answer (or no answer) would not alter my next thought, which is to say that before you invest any money, and 3 to 4 months in growing some bud, would it be wise to maybe try it first? I've had several acquaintances that lived in AK at least for bit, and I think I remember all of them talking about bud being pretty easy to find.

If that isn't an option, and considering your desire to keep the veggies seperate from the MJ necessitating another light anyway, then I would like to suggest you consider a High Intensity Discharge (HID) light. I just double checked Amaz*n and found that even including shipping to Alaska (although I have no idea of your exact location) you could get a 400 to 600 watt dimable HID with both a Metal Hallide bulb and a High Pressure Sodium bulb for between $135 and $165 bucks. Given your goal of maybe 4 plants or so, either one would serve you well and provide light penetration through the canopy of a cannabis plant that is harder to acheive with Flourescents. The down side of HID's is power consumption and heat. I believe AK has some high electricity rates, so that may be an issue. The heat, as discussed, would probably work to your benefit and would not need dealt with other than perhaps a fan for air movement as much as anything.

If that option doesn't appeal then I would suggest the closet, lined with mylar or another appropraitely reflective lining would be a great place to grow with another VHO flourescent. You would not necessarily need to cover all 4 sides of the closet, but obviously the more reflectivity the better. Venting shouldn't be a concern here either.

The closet would work well with an HID also, but for heat build up reasons I would suggest intentionally leaving the door side open.

One last thought for the moment - Flat white house paint is only slightly less reflective than mylar. If the interior of your closet is not already painted white, could you get away with painting it? I think a cheap off brand flat white couldn't be more than $25 or so and would further reduce your investment.

I would probably prefer the marijuana in the closet and BONUS!!!! It has no door, but it does have tongue and groove would paneling. So maybe some typeof reflective source that woudn't mar the wood would be a good alternative. I am exploring marijuana for pain, Though my Doc is afraid to give a script, it is legal outside medical reasons to have up to 25 plants and 4 oz in your private home. I am 45 year old who feels he is in the body of a 70 year old. I do have old wounds that make me ache and stiff all day, so I am exploring this remedy and choose this way to keep my anonimity. Another bonus to my cabin rental is I don't pay electricity! Just propane for stove and water heater and off-road diesel for my Monitor heater. I hope I answered your above questions, and made things a little clearer.

I think I want to avoid messy hydroponics and keep with a soil growth. Like all things in Alaska I might need to ship soil in as well. I was thinking of Bob Marly or White widow is it? As a start. Just a few plants to see how I do. I want to be set up as much as I can before I bring the seeds in. I don't want to be those other guys who started growing and are sweating deliveries to keep the plant alive.

Thanks Again!

Namaste

Jeff

I was going to write something long, but Tan pretty much covered my thoughts.

This is one of my favorite journals because it teaches so much and shows great results on a budget. Boss's Poor Mans Grow

I've had buddies pull something out of a few plants kept in a bathroom tub shared by a bunch of college students so anything is possible.:welcome:

Gadfly,

Thank you for the suggestion, I will take a look at the link and read it. Thank you again.

Namaste.

Jeff

Re: Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small C

I never answered the question as to cabin temps when its 60 below F outside. I keep my Monitor heater at or about 68 degrees. I can be persuaded to go higher if it helps the bud.

Re: Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small C

Completely understand Jeff.

Your smart to be fully prepared, prior to introducing your plants. Yes, some mylar or other reflective surface could be taped to the closet walls and someday removed with no concerns. Avoid aluminum foil as it tends to create "hot spots".

As for soil, I'd be willing to bet big that out in the country somewhere is a field where you could dig enough native soil for your purposes. I remember hearing years ago, that Alasken soil is some of the richest soil to be found anywhere. Stories of 2 foot wide heads of lettuce and other remarkable cool/cold weather crops with short growth periods. I might be wrong, but I wouldn't hesitate to dig some clean local soil, mix it with some perlite or similar aeration/drainage material, and have a go at it. You could probably get away with the using locally sourced vegatable fertilizers and nutrients. Since your already growing some veggies, you may already have all that you need.

As to the electricity consumption, any indication that your landlord might freak if the usage spiked suddenly with an HID light? If so then the flouro Gro lights might be best.

The strains you mention are both great. I smoke for recreational and spiritual purposes, so I can't speak to their pain reducing effects or abilities. One strain that has recently come to my attention called "Medi-bomb" might be worthy of consideration. I'm considering growing some for a friend and neighbor struggling with shingles and gout at the same time. She's really struggling with pain, and the med's her doctor gives her really cause more issues than they solve.

I do hope we've provided a little help, and if nothing else confirmed that you have a huge resource here with the 420 magazine and a 420 community that sincerely cares. Although miles apart (literally 4,000+ miles), we are only a mouse click away.

Be well and enjoy your growing adventure.

I never answered the question as to cabin temps when its 60 below F outside. I keep my Monitor heater at or about 68 degrees. I can be persuaded to go higher if it helps the bud.

You did mention it earlier and as long as the temperature doesn't drop much below 60 your okay. Ideally, you want a "lights on/lights off" range of about 15 degrees or so at the most. 60-65 for low and 75-80 at peak. Anything less is fine also, that's just pretty much the max swing that is most desirable. In the "lights on" peak, I'm factoring in an HID for the heat source. You wouldn't need to raise the temp of the cabin to create that swing if you choose Flouro grow lights.

I do have other questions, concerning soil, water, ph, and so forth. Do I need a collection basin under the plant pots? Should I immedietly start the seed once its germinated in a big pot to avoid roots balling up? If so how big a pot? I have well water here, so is that considered worse than tap water? Do I need to sit it out for 24 hours? Do I need to plan to have gallons of bottled water on hand? Based on my measurements of 34" I will not be a ble to fit a 4 ft ballast for the VHO Bulbs, so are the HID the best alternative? I don't want to settle for something inferior if I can do something benificial.

Namaste,

Jeff

Jeff,

Completely understand your additional questions.

Pot size is debatable, but we can kind of back into the numbers. Given the size of the closet, you will only be able to grow a plant(s) a max of about 48 inches tall. You probably don't really want to get much over 40 inches. This size plant can pretty easily be supported in a 5 gallon bucket or a pot roughly equivalent in size. But, that's a lot of soil to water while the plant is still a seedling or smaller plant. If you comfortable with the idea of transplanting at some point, then you could start out in a smaller pot and transplant later. You can guestimate the root size of plant by looking at the vegetation and and reducing by roughly 1/3rd to maybe 40%. If transplanting later in growth isn't an option then starting off in a big container and letting them grow, isn't a bad thing.

As for collection basin, some type of saucer or better yet a shallow tub would be beneficial to catch any runoff. Some growers even prefer watering and feeding their plants by flooding a tray or tub and allowing the pots to drink from the bottom for a little while and then dumping the tub. I just water from the top, let it runoff into a old rubbermaid tub we had lying around, let them sit in the water for 10 mintues or, and then dump the runoff once I'm finished with all the plants.

Well water isn't automatically a good or bad thing. There shouldn't be any chlorine in it, unless you know it's being treated. Avoiding chlorine is why folks sit their tap water out for 24 hrs., allowing the chlorine to evaporate. In a perfect world I would want to know "what is in that well water", but a thorough analysis probably isn't feasible. I choose to believe that Alaska still has relatively unspoiled natural resources so if the water tastes and smells alright to you when you drink, cook and bath with it, it's probably okay. If you can locate a simple PH tester or guage that would be beneficial, but I honestly would not get hung up on it if I couldn't find one easily. I wouldn't plan on bottled water. Think of all the crops all over the world that require irregation. Those pumps are pumping well water, that probably hasn't been PH tested, and certainly not treated/adjusted and they grow just fine. I assume your using well water for the veggies?

Let me know if there is anything else with which I might assist. I found this site to be so packed with information that I spent several months reading before I germinated my first seed indoors. I had grown outdoors previously, but not with the level of interaction that I can have indoors.

Either an HID or an LED light would be the best solution given your size constraint. I just don't know enough about LED lightling to be comfortable recommending one, and unfortunately from what I read there appears to still be some bad LED's out there (cheap parts, not the correct mix of light spectrums, etc...) so to keep things fairly simple and along the "tried and true" vein, I am going to suggest an HID is your best bet. Given your space, I really think a 400 watt dimmable fixture would work just fine. This will slightly reduce the electric usage (over a 600 watt) and is less likely to give your landlord reason to come knocking. You can grow 2-4 plants at a time pretty well with a 400 wattter and it's strong enough to still get good canopy penetration once your plants get taller. A 600 watt will work just fine as well, just more electric usage, but a dimmable ballast can be reduced down to 75% (450 watts) or 50% (300 watts). If you opt for an HID light, just make sure you get both a Metal Hallide (MH) bulb and a High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Bulb. It wouldn't hurt to order an extra of each since you most likely can't just run out to your local grow shop and buy a replacement if one should go out. Look for a MH bulb with a temperature range of as close to 6,000 Kelvins (K) as you can find and a HPS with a temperature of around 2,700K.

Happy growing!

TanR has been giving good advice (+reps to ya, TanR) but I wanted to add my 2 cents, since I just went through the same sort of decisions myself, and I also live in a cold climate.

I would suggest you get a 600W mh/hps system from ebay or Amazon. The extra 20-30 bucks for the 600 vs the 400 is well worth it, partly because the 600w is significantly more efficient - produces more lumens/watt than the 400 and is cheaper per watt to buy. I just spent a couple months fiddling around with compact flourescents - built a system out of 23W bulbs, 21 of 'em under a 2x4 foot reflector for 483 watts. In the end I realized I just should have bought an HID, so I watched ebay for a couple weeks and sniped one in the last few seconds for $139 shipping free. I simply wasted time and money on the CFLs. They're actually great for vegetating, but an HPS will kick their butts for flowering, when all the time and work is supposed to be paying off.

If you use the closet, you're gonna need a door. The plants will need at least 12 hours of uninterrupted dark to bloom properly. Otherwise, it's a really good sized room to start your first grow. A 600W hps will produce better than average buds in that amount of space, and it's the right size to supply all the weed one person would need. The only drawback is the heat that any serious amount of lighting will produce. Exhaust of some kind would be necessary - gotta run air through it to flush the heat. Honestly, this is true for any non-LED lighting - they all produce significant heat. You'd have to poke at least a 4 inch hole somewhere in the closet and either vent it into the room or the attic or outside. You could try screwing around without it, leaving the door open during the lights-on cycle, etc, but try to think of a way to vent air and you'll have a sweet little grow room.

Spend a bunch of time on the internet researching all the various cannabis strains. Rummaging through everything Herbie's offer is a great to learn and seedfinder is a site that has a writeup on just about every strain I've ever heard of. You're going to want to be sure you buy short-growing strains - I'd actually recommend you buy one or two autoflowering strains - good for a beginner. They're fast and short and easy to take care of.

Soil is also pretty easy to work with if you can just leave the poor plants alone to grow. Start seeds in a Solo cup with 5-10 tiny holes poked in the bottom and lower sides to let the cup drain and the roots breathe. This will give you enough root room for a coupe weeks of growth. Then transplant that nice solid root ball into a larger pot - 5 gallon or so - easy peasy. Check the garden stores for good soil. Mostly you want something that hasn't been all juiced up. We think of Miracle Grow, but it's really too hot for young pot plants. Your local garden store just might carry Fox Farms Ocean Forest (FFOF) which is a well-recommended soil. If you can find a nice bland peat-based soil that'd great. I'd also suggest you read all about OC+, Osmocote Plus, a timed-release fertilizer. There are a bunch of threads on 420 if you can learn how to use the search feature. OC+ is a great way to guarantee that you won't mess up your grow. You pretty much just add the OC+ to the soil and jus' water 'em till they're done.

You came to what, in my learned opinion (I've been all over the web), is the best site for learning how to grow. Read the journals for a few weeks and you'll learn just about everything you'd ever need to know about growing cannabis, and from people who are smart, funny, and kind. 420 Mag impresses the hell outta me!

Namaste

Jeff,
Graytail offers a good point about needing 12 hours of dark for the plants to bud. I think an auto will bud when it's ready, rather than according to a light schedule, so that might reduce some of that issue but I have zero experience with auto's. Maybe there is a way to rig up some sort of blackout covering across the closet that could be opened during the lights on period and closed at lights out. This might also mitigate the heat issue of a closed grow area. I've seen growers use everything from heavy black plastic to foam insulation board to light proof a grow area.

He's also right about the OC+ and some great stuff has been grown with it. I know I've used it outdoors just because I couldn't get to plants frequently enough to choose any other means of fertilization.

Nice help for a fellow member there Graytail! +Reps back at ya!

Hey, Dharma, I just had an idea for you.

If your space is private with no fear of having to explain things to visitors, and maybe even if it's not, you could put the vent in the door. It would be as easy as cutting a hole in the upper part of the door and attaching a fan. Run the wiring to the hinge side and ya gotcherself a door AND a vent. The intake air would come through that hole in the lower right corner that I see.

:thumb:

Well a couple of things, TanR, Graytail and Gadfly, may peace and compassion follow you always. You have been more than helpful, I had my doubts when I started my first thread and received no responses.

One worry I have is ventilatiion. I doubt my landlord will want me cutting holes, especially in exterior walls! You need to remember that come winter, which will start mid-September, it will consistantly stay -30 degrees F and getting to -60 degrees F. Having any opening, positive pressure or not, that cold will get in. The first thing it will get to is the plants. Is there anything out there to mitigate this?

I will be looking at HID after I post this. My maximum width for overhead light is 34" I need to find something compatible to my needs and I hope its out there. Another thing that needs addressing is anything reflective I hang up, needs to be able to stay up until I need to take it down for my own puposes. My landlord is putting in a new carpet, I just hope it coincides with my plans and not after lol!

Based on my dimensions, would putting rubbermaids in there hinder the number of plants I can fit? I don't foresee myself with more than 4 plants, unless you think I have room for more. I do need to find a fan that provides enough ventilation to draw all the hot air out. The closet is right across from my bed lol!!!

I had picked a Bob Marly and a White Widow??? as my first seedlings. Still don't know what they are talking about when they mention feminized, except they charge a hell of a lot more money!!! I will go look for HID, and tell you what I have found.

Thank you all!

Jeff

P.S I know computer fans are normally cheapy made in china. Are there quality ones out there? :Namaste:

I came across some HID, but what I don't know is a quality name brand, or if 13" 0r 19" for that katter, will be enough to adequately cover the plants I will have i there? There are just too many to choode from, and I want to be able to chose quality for the price I pay, and I have no knowlege of whats good and what's a da

I'd go cheapo cheapo. Once the grow room bug gets ahold of you, you'll start leaking money all over the place. I checked 'em all pretty thoroughly and sure, there might be some junk out there, but I think it's either go cheapo or go big on a well made reputable ballast you buy separately for another $60-70 bucks more invested. Mine was plug and play, no fuss, works like it should. I think it might be wise to get a dimmable ballast package - you can turn it down to half if you want to (for heat management for instance) and they're the newer models, presumably with any bugs worked out. I got the flimsy wing reflector and it works just fine in a small walled room.

Remember, the flowering room has to be light tight - no stray stuff coming in under the door or through the jamb. You'll risk having your nice juicy females get all confused and start growing male hermie flowers - that's disappointing when it fertilizes your entire crop one day 'cause you didn't notice.

I'd go cheapo cheapo. Once the grow room bug gets ahold of you, you'll start leaking money all over the place. I checked 'em all pretty thoroughly and sure, there might be some junk out there, but I think it's either go cheapo or go big on a well made reputable ballast you buy separately for another $60-70 bucks more invested. Mine was plug and play, no fuss, works like it should. I think it might be wise to get a dimmable ballast package - you can turn it down to half if you want to (for heat management for instance) and they're the newer models, presumably with any bugs worked out. I got the flimsy wing reflector and it works just fine in a small walled room.

Remember, the flowering room has to be light tight - no stray stuff coming in under the door or through the jamb. You'll risk having your nice juicy females get all confused and start growing male hermie flowers - that's disappointing when it fertilizes your entire crop one day 'cause you didn't notice.[/Qnzed UOTE]
Could you give me an idea of the top name ballasts, as opposed to the crap out there? When I do buy seeds, I assume I buy the feminized, right? Why do they offer the non-femized in thr first place, if they know that the bud from those are lacking?

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom