Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small Cabin

Re: Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small C

Leave all the little roots - roots are good - nice humus and they have helpful populations of fungi and bacteria! And no sand for our purposes, nope. The best soil will be the stuff you can dig your hands into and wiggle your fingers, moist but dry kinda. Pull out big clumps of that and just sorta shake the dirt off the roots - see what you get. Heck, go explore, LOL, play in the dirt! You've got tons of it.

Re: Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small C

Good point, if your soil crumbles in your hand then it is most likely good soil, all in the feel. Experiment with a couple of soils, native, compost plus native mix. Experiment, you can always correct later. Plant in smaller pots first of different soils (mixes) then transplant all to the soil that works best.

I am going to attempt to add a couple pics of the space that I picked out for my grow room:

1373231007.jpg

As you notice I have two 110 v outlets in a convenient elevated spot, as well as a powered extension cord that comes up from root cellar underneath.

1373231689.jpg

This second photo, ignore the Stag AR-15 with the 1:7 twist loaded with 5.56mm 62 grain LAP(Light Armor Piercing Rounds) :)

I had an epiphany and decided to try finding a y connector to tie into existing ducting. If it works, I just turn on bathroom fart fan, and viola, instant air draw!!!

I have lost the thread that recommeneded me to add vermiculaite and mychrozoa? I don't know, still looking LOL!

'Course, for mooses, all you need is a handgun, heheh.

The vent is convenient!

Perlite would be better than vermiculite, but neither are a big deal - it just helps the soil drain and dry better. Only really important if you need to flush the soil 'cause you overdosed 'em on nutes. Don't overdose 'em - they grow jus' fine with mild doses. After a grow or two, you'll know how far you can push 'em. Mycorrhizae would be nice, but you probably have 'em in the soil already.

The vent is great!!! If your soil as a lot of Humus in it; it will drain fine but I would check the PH as any pine needles, bark etc. tend to make the soil a little acidic, as long as you are between 6 and 7 you are all set. You seem to be on the right path. I don't know anything about the weather there but I know it gets cold. I would be careful of the temperature of the floor, if it gets cold I would raise the pots on a platform. Good grow and Peace.

You know, I don't think anyone has really ever answered this question. Pot size? I know to start in a solo size cup after seed germination, my gut tells me I really shouldn't transplant more than once because of the shock, but what size pot can I get away with and still grow a healthy plant? The other question is TanR where the hell are you? Seems like you dropped off the face of the earth?

Bigger is better for soil. It relates somewhat to height and total plant size. A smaller pot will get you a smaller, slower growing plant. In fact, you can use a smaller pot to stunt growth in veg a bit, if you need time to fit a plant into your grow, like for a light cycle switch. You have to water them a lot, but they'll idle along nicely til you're ready.

Transplant shock shouldn't be common. I've never noticed any shock at all - they actually growth faster after I transplant them into a whole bunch of nice new soil. You want to be sure the roots have filled the pot they're in before transplanting, though. There's too much risk of over-watered soil if they're too small for the new pot. Two weeks after sprout, mine are ready for something bigger than a Solo cup. I move them directly into 6 gallon square pots.

Five gallon utility buckets work great! They're just over a foot wide, so 4 of 'em would fit snugly in your tent, and they're easy to find.

You know, I don't think anyone has really ever answered this question. Pot size? I know to start in a solo size cup after seed germination, my gut tells me I really shouldn't transplant more than once because of the shock, but what size pot can I get away with and still grow a healthy plant? The other question is TanR where the hell are you? Seems like you dropped off the face of the earth?

I'm here brother. Just haven't seen anything with which I could really help.

I agree with Graytail that you can grow in any size container you want. If a plant becomes root bound, it doesn't die except in the most extreme cases of neglect, it will just stop it's horizontal and verticle growth. It will continue to mature though so you could literally grow in a one gallon pot if you wanted a smaller plant. I also agree with Graytail about transplant shock. Mine took off like lightening each of the two times I transplanted them.

There is a method of growing called "hempi" style where people grow in 2 liter soda bottles with a soilless medium like perlite only and drip nutrients almost continuously. You end up with an 18"-24" tall plant about 12"-16" across. The benefit is a lot of plants in a really small space and very quick maturity of the plants.

Given your space and chosen lighting I think something in the 3 to 5 gallon range would serve you nicely. I grow in a five gallon planter container but I have larger tent than you so space isn't as much a consideration.

Be well brother.

I'm here brother. Just haven't seen anything with which I could really help.

I agree with Graytail that you can grow in any size container you want. If a plant becomes root bound, it doesn't die except in the most extreme cases of neglect, it will just stop it's horizontal and verticle growth. It will continue to mature though so you could literally grow in a one gallon pot if you wanted a smaller plant. I also agree with Graytail about transplant shock. Mine took off like lightening each of the two times I transplanted them.

There is a method of growing called "hempi" style where people grow in 2 liter soda bottles with a soilless medium like perlite only and drip nutrients almost continuously. You end up with an 18"-24" tall plant about 12"-16" across. The benefit is a lot of plants in a really small space and very quick maturity of the plants.

Given your space and chosen lighting I think something in the 3 to 5 gallon range would serve you nicely. I grow in a five gallon planter container but I have larger tent than you so space isn't as much a consideration.

Be well brother.

Welcome back Brother,

I know you are a man of "Just get the shit done", and well things just got a little more complicated an hour ago. I used a soil ph kit on a mound of dirt that had been sitting composting with humus and cow dung and was getting readings from ph 5 to 8.5. I thought I was screwing up, so I called this guy at the soil conservation center here in Alaska. He said to me "sounds about right"!!!! The myth that Alaska soil is rich isn't entirely true he explained. Because of our short warm periods, there isn't time for anything to decompose in a normal manner, so you will never get a consistent ph. He said that's why there isn't a plethora of crops that will grow up here. the soil is to inconsistent and needs constant management when gardening those vegetables that aren't ph tolerant.

Well with no other choice, because I am a beginner and I am no where near ready to ad constant ph management to my list of things when my growing starts, I found a store to ship me some Fox Farms Ocean. Total cost though was $60 bucks. I tried to see if a couple of friends were going up to Fairbanks before I made the decision, but nobody was going in the near future.

Our local nurseries carry miracle gro potting soil, that's the best I could get out of them, so in the end being surrounded by rich soil I can't use sucks.

The good news is that I should be able to fill a couple of 5 gallon containers of the soil and since I won't be growing more than a couple plants maximum it should be okay. I do want to explore trying to find a small space to do some cloning in though, especially the strains I like, but that will be put off until I see how I do with what I have.

I have a lot of people who believe a 4 bulb T-5 HO fixture won't be enough, I don't concur, especially with the little space I'm working with and the fact that I will only be managing two plants. The tent should be here by tomorrow or wednesday the latest. My bank should clear the money to paypal by tomorrow for paying our overseas company. That's where it stands right now though. Well wishes to all!!!

Jeff,

I confess that I'm just blown away by those widely varying ph readings. Given the explanation though, it does make some sense but is just so contrary to everything I had ever heard and read that I'm just dumbfounded.

Sorry for the extra expense of the soil and shipping, but I think you've made a very wise decision. Even if one had a decent supply of locally available ph adjusting additives, trying to manage that wide a ph range would be difficult for most! Since you don't have the local supply, you'd be pulling your hair out. Great call on ordering the soil and all things considered, $60.00 sounds like a decent price for what I hope and beleive will be a good soil for you.

I'm with you in thinking that your lights will work out just fine. They won't produce the quantity or quality(think density -not potency) that other types of lights might provide but as we've discussed, there are trade offs that come with those "other" types of lights as well. You have chosen lights that will work with your space, your budget and your particular situation.

Your getting close to having it all put together man. I'm excited for you.

Well finally the transfer went through to PayPal and I was able to pay for my little novelties. Waiting on confirmation from their end, but it looks good now!

:Namaste:

Jeff

Glad things are moving forward for you Jeff. Way to improvise, adapt, and overcome!

Glad things are moving forward for you Jeff. Way to improvise, adapt, and overcome!

I am as well! I just need to figure out what I want to plant first. I assume I can't mix my male Northern Lights from Sensi with any of the other females, right? I mean I don't have any idea what to do with pollinization or whatever happens when you get a male and female different strain in one grow. Can I also assume, no clones from a male as well?

Jeff

Jeff,

Let me clarify, I just looked back on the list of seeds you ordered and besides the freebies, only saw one non feminised seed - The Northern Lights. Is that seed your referring to as a male?

Just because the seed isn't feminised, doesn't automatically make it a male. Other than for breeding purposes you never want a male plant so let's hope it doesn't turn out to be a male! If it does develop into a male plant you definately do not want it in the same building with female plants.

There are others here that can, and have in various threads, explain the differences and processes to obtain a feminised seed better than I. For simplicity sake though let's agree that feminised seeds are supposed to be 100% female. I've seen varying reports that lead me to believe this isn't the case, but the bottom line is they have a much higher ratio of females to males than "regular" or non feminised seeds.

Again from what I've read, regular seeds will on average produce a little better than 50% female to male plants. I've read everything from 50-50 to 60-40 but suspect it may be like flipping a coin and counting heads or tails where the final ratio depends on when you stop flipping and counting!

So the regular (non feminised) Northern Lights seed may or may not be a male, but my suggestion for your consideration would be to not make that one of the first seeds you plant just in case it is a male. If you only going to grow 2 or maybe 3 plants at a time you don't want to lose 1/2 or 1/3 of your total grow because you had to ditch a male plant. Let's get you some plants grown and harvested so that you have some medication while the next batch is growing.

Oh and yes, you could clone a male plant just as easily as a female, but wouldn't want to unless you planned on breeding. I've seen a lot of people make a big deal out of, or even get confused by the term "clone". I prefer to think of it as "rooting a cutting".

If you, or maybe your parents (when you were a kid) ever cut lilacs or some other plant out of your yard and brought them into the house and put them in water you have completed or witnessed the first step in cloning. Lilacs are probably a bad example as their actually kind of a pain to get to root - for me anyway, and we only ever cut the flowers and enough stem to sustain them and that isn't the ideal area to take a cutting of any plant. Maybe you remember someone giving one of your parents or a sibling a cutting of a plant they liked or that held some sentimental value (grannies peonies or something) and they brought the cutting home and got it to grow roots - that's cloning! It's really not hard at all although there are a few little tricks that provide a higher success rate.

Be well brother.

I vote for the NL5xHaze and the White Widow Auto. The Widow auto is a nice strain and it'll finish easily and early, so you'll get to smoke that until the NL Haze is ready a few weeks later. I'd start three, though - you have the room for them. That Silver LA looks like a good stoney indica, and would probably finish with the NL Haze or a week earlier. That'd give you a good idea about strains and their different effects.

Most strains won't begin to flower before about 6 weeks. You can put them into 12/12 early, but they'll just take 2 weeks (or much more) to show their first flowers, and you count flowering time beginning then. You can hold them in veg to grow bigger and they won't flower until you switch, but the more veg time you give them, the more quickly they'll show flowers after the switch to 12/12. So, they'll take about 2 weeks in the Solo sprouting and getting their legs under them, then you veg them for a few weeks, depending on how big you want them to get. Say 2-4 weeks in veg, then a week to show pistils, and then however long the breeder says they'll take to finish, usually 9-12 weeks. That's 14 - 19 weeks. The Auto will go from seed to finish in roughly the time the breeder says.

Sativas, like the Haze, will get pretty tall if you let them, so in confined spaces it's best not to give them a lot of veg time. Indicas don't grow very tall, so you can veg them longer. The longer they veg, the more bud you'll get.

It's not completely for sure but I was thinking Skywalker and NL#5. Don't ask me why, the karma just seemed to line up? I don't know?

Jeff

Jeff, I would recomend using some CFL lights with a rating of 100 w equivalent, I started my grow using CFL lights... I got a bathroom lt fixture and put Y adapters in all 6 sockets which gave my 12 light bulbs = 1k in lighting.. for reflectors i used alum foil food trays
Holy shat Kronic! I am new too and consider myself well educated and sharp...I have no idea what I'm ;looking at LOL!!! Are those rectangular metal encasements your lights? Did you buy those or build them? I can build the hell out of a computer or fix a down t-1 or DS-3, but I won't be able to build that. On another not, my square footage is exactly 5.16 square feet. You look like your rigged for a football stadium LOL! Oh wait, now I see. those are your planters!I plan on having a maximum of 4 at one time. That's why the big decision is based on what kind of lighting.

You see my cabin is small, and I have no way of venting excess heat from HID, unless I want to cook myself, or grow only in the winter and turn off my heater lol! In all seriousness I need to find a way to temporarily get some lighting so I can get planting or I will be waiting months buying all the nice expensive things before I can even plant.

I wanted to add what I am getting so far this month: Suffice to say I only have $400-500 a month I can use to buy these things and that is stretching it to the extreme.

Growlab GL80 for 138.54 plus $40 standard shipping

FELIZ 300W BLUE $75.60

HydroFarm All System Cord Set - w/ 15' 120V Power Cord $19.96

I know you guys are pulling your hair out, but at my budget, how else am I going to start growing this month? I still need to buy seed!!!

I should have more than enough time for the plant to grow and by August be able to spend more money wisely to supplement what I have. Of course I will have you guys to help LOL!

Thank you Guys!

Jeff

Dito Graytail......I tried the big CFL's "they suck" too much heat.
I think the T5 is a better choice than the big honkin' CFL - T5s are more efficient than the big CFLs. A lot of members use T5s and love 'em.

Of course, you know you can get a 400 or even 600 watt HID system with dimmable ballast for the same price ...

But the T5, mostly because it draws less current, will be cooler, and it'd be purdy sittin' in your tent all snugly at 2x2 - sweet fit.

I'm glad you're getting to see all the options. Both the T5 and big CFL are informed choices.

Thanks DharmaBud....These are 5"x5" Vinyl Fence Posts wrapped in reflective material, glued it with contact cement...My 1st run went real well but i only veg'd for 10 days...big mistake....Now im gettin ready for another run and lookin real good..my lights are 600w cool tube and a 400 w ...aeroponic feeding 1min on 4 min off...fox farm nutes...56-59 days flowering..
IMAG4032.jpg
IMAG4030.jpg
IMAG3787.jpg
IMAG3776.jpg
Holy shat Kronic! I am new too and consider myself well educated and sharp...I have no idea what I'm ;looking at LOL!!! Are those rectangular metal encasements your lights? Did you buy those or build them? I can build the hell out of a computer or fix a down t-1 or DS-3, but I won't be able to build that. On another not, my square footage is exactly 5.16 square feet. You look like your rigged for a football stadium LOL! Oh wait, now I see. those are your planters!I plan on having a maximum of 4 at one time. That's why the big decision is based on what kind of lighting.

You see my cabin is small, and I have no way of venting excess heat from HID, unless I want to cook myself, or grow only in the winter and turn off my heater lol! In all seriousness I need to find a way to temporarily get some lighting so I can get planting or I will be waiting months buying all the nice expensive things before I can even plant.

I wanted to add what I am getting so far this month: Suffice to say I only have $400-500 a month I can use to buy these things and that is stretching it to the extreme.

Growlab GL80 for 138.54 plus $40 standard shipping

FELIZ 300W BLUE $75.60

HydroFarm All System Cord Set - w/ 15' 120V Power Cord $19.96

I know you guys are pulling your hair out, but at my budget, how else am I going to start growing this month? I still need to buy seed!!!

I should have more than enough time for the plant to grow and by August be able to spend more money wisely to supplement what I have. Of course I will have you guys to help LOL!

Thank you Guys!

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom