Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small Cabin

Re: Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small C

I wonder if they didn't mean amount of seeds 1,3, 20?

Re: Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small C

I actually read the site guidelines today. I have a few infringements, so I need to tone certain areas of talk down LOL! Needless to say, I still need to buy some either 3000k or 3400k bulbs. I am caught between a rock and a hard place with my soil situation. I have no sure way of avoiding weeds if I use true rich alaskan soil surrounding me. I would have to get a ride 80 miles north and pay almost $30 a bag for FF soil. I don't think it would be healthy for the plant to compete with the surrounding weeds in local soil, so if anyone has experience extricating soil from the ground weedless, I would love to hear from you!!! Did I just say weedless! Such a foul word!

:Namaste:

Jeff

Thats the way I started, I suggest Amazon.com for Hydofarms 125 watt CFL with reflector for about $50, which comes with the Full Day light and then you can get the Warm (2700K) CFL for an additional $33, and you can swap out the lights when you flower. To this basic setup I eventually added a 65 watt CFL spotlight and a cord to hang the 6500K light hung next to the 2700K when flowering. Total cost of all was about $130. Start small and grow. You are starting from seed so that gives you a month to you vegetate and another to you flower( depending on the strain you grow).

I actually read the site guidelines today. I have a few infringements, so I need to tone certain areas of talk down LOL! Needless to say, I still need to buy some either 3000k or 3400k bulbs. I am caught between a rock and a hard place with my soil situation. I have no sure way of avoiding weeds if I use true rich alaskan soil surrounding me. I would have to get a ride 80 miles north and pay almost $30 a bag for FF soil. I don't think it would be healthy for the plant to compete with the surrounding weeds in local soil, so if anyone has experience extricating soil from the ground weedless, I would love to hear from you!!! Did I just say weedless! Such a foul word!

Jeff

You can take the soil and spread it on a sheet pan and put it in your oven for a half hour at 200 degrees, this will kill of all weed seeds, mold and other unwanted pests in your soil. May sound a little crazy but it works.

Thats the way I started, I suggest Amazon.com for Hydofarms 125 watt CFL with reflector for about $50, which comes with the Full Day light and then you can get the Warm (2700K) CFL for an additional $33, and you can swap out the lights when you flower. To this basic setup I eventually added a 65 watt CFL spotlight and a cord to hang the 6500K light hung next to the 2700K when flowering. Total cost of all was about $130. Start small and grow. You are starting from seed so that gives you a month to you vegetate and another to you flower( depending on the strain you grow).

Jake, I bought the Hydrofarm 2 ft 4 bulb fixture with 6400k bulbs, that’s what I need the reds for, though some CFL's could be helpful, I would probably never have more than 2 plants going with the space I'll have. I haven't even inquired about yields and how long one plant would suffice before another batch was needed!

Just an aside, because you listed your location, I was born and raised in CT.

Jeff

You can take the soil and spread it on a sheet pan and put it in your oven for a half hour at 200 degrees, this will kill of all weed seeds, mold and other unwanted pests in your soil. May sound a little crazy but it works.

I have this propane stove I use, but I have never lit the oven LOL! That could be an interesting experience. I wonder how many trays of dirt to get enough to fill a couple 5 gallon containers, small cups, and intermediate containers. I might run out of propane before I'm done LOL!

By the way, that freebie I'm getting is actually called Silver LA by Reserva Privada, I just listed the strains to make this one.

Here's another aside, Jake is a nickname my first name is Jeff too. Weird Ha.

I have not read through the whole thread but if I understand you bought the blue T5 lights????? There good to start seeds and to veg under but you definitely need a broader spectrum light to flower. As far as soil it should be light enough to promote rapid root growth and the PH must be between 6 and 7 or you will experience nute lock. Other considerations are your water source. Is your water hard or soft? Size of pots (5 gallon are pretty big), and nutrients (do not use Miracle Grow). If this is your first grow remember there is a learning curve to becoming a successful grower.

Actually, Jeff, I'm not so sure the weeds are a big issue. Remember, you're gonna be checking things every day - no big deal to yank out whatever weeds pop up. The upside is that you'd already have a nice microbiology going on in the soil. If you bake it, everything dies. In the old days, we grew in topsoil and 5 year old horse poop. Doncha know the horse droppings hosted a nice crop of weeds! But it was great soil! You should take a tour around the property - see what the various soils look like. It'd be nice to find a place where a lively patch of something has been living for decades, breaking down the soil and decomposing humus back into it.

I have not read through the whole thread but if I understand you bought the blue T5 lights????? There good to start seeds and to veg under but you definitely need a broader spectrum light to flower. As far as soil it should be light enough to promote rapid root growth and the PH must be between 6 and 7 or you will experience nute lock. Other considerations are your water source. Is your water hard or soft? Size of pots (5 gallon are pretty big), and nutrients (do not use Miracle Grow). If this is your first grow remember there is a learning curve to becoming a successful grower.[/QUOT.E]

I thought most people use 5 gallon pots? I have a well and have no idea if its hard or soft water. I guess it might be hard if it easily leaves water stains on glass? I don't know the ph of it either. The 6400k's came with the fixture and I spent a good bulk of this month's money on gear and seed. I need to wait a few days for the purchases to go through and see what money I have left for red bulbs, or maybe even aquarium bulbs since they are more spectrum specific, don't really know yet.

Jeff

Actually, Jeff, I'm not so sure the weeds are a big issue. Remember, you're gonna be checking things every day - no big deal to yank out whatever weeds pop up. The upside is that you'd already have a nice microbiology going on in the soil. If you bake it, everything dies. In the old days, we grew in topsoil and 5 year old horse poop. Doncha know the horse droppings hosted a nice crop of weeds! But it was great soil! You should take a tour around the property - see what the various soils look like. It'd be nice to find a place where a lively patch of something has been living for decades, breaking down the soil and decomposing humus back into it.

Actually my landlord has a huge supply of compost piles with cow crap and such, I do have a ph tester coming so that shouldn't be a problem. I still don't know the ph of my well water, or being well water if that matters so much.

so I got a little anxious about my lighting situation based on the journals I'm reading, so I got a good deal on 8 CFL's 4 6500k 75w and 4 2700k 100w for $32. Thing that is irritating, is that I can't find any of those corded hanging sockets you guys have!!!! I checked on ebay and on Amazon. Oh they have the ones that require a ballast, but no regular sockets hanging from a friggin' plug! I don't get it. Any ideas guys, maybe a few keywords I might have missed between cord and socket?

Thanks

Jeff

Try "lamp socket" on either ebay or Amazon. I like the 2-lamp sockets - gives you something to hang them from - ebay shows them if you add "2-lite".

But seriously, the 2700 spectrum in veg ain' worth the $50.

Your water should be good -soil is very forgiving about ph. But as long as you have a meter coming, it doesn't hurt to get a reading.

Try "lamp socket" on either ebay or Amazon. I like the 2-lamp sockets - gives you something to hang them from - ebay shows them if you add "2-lite".

But seriously, the 2700 spectrum in veg ain' worth the $50.

Your water should be good -soil is very forgiving about ph. But as long as you have a meter coming, it doesn't hurt to get a reading.

I said f' it and got some 4 3000k T-5 HO, dolomite in case of soil ph issues, a hydro ph tester just to be sure. It will help in troubleshooting knowing these facts, if something goes wrong, and FF trio nutrient in pints. All the shipping was free except for the bulbs and they were $8.99. I have enough pots lying around here so I am okay with that, I might go as far as to get some solo cups. I hope perlite isn't a must because I am out of money for the month now LOL!

Jeff

so I got a little anxious about my lighting situation based on the journals I'm reading, so I got a good deal on 8 CFL's 4 6500k 75w and 4 2700k 100w for $32. Thing that is irritating, is that I can't find any of those corded hanging sockets you guys have!!!! I checked on ebay and on Amazon. Oh they have the ones that require a ballast, but no regular sockets hanging from a friggin' plug! I don't get it. Any ideas guys, maybe a few keywords I might have missed between cord and socket?

Thanks

Jeff

I bought a over the mirror light for a bathroom, came with 3 sockets built it, I just pulled them out and slide them in some pvc and made a holder. With lights and the sockets it was like $50. I have pictures in my gallery if you want to look.

I thought I would include the photo I took of the moss that covers our soil in the forests of Alaska that I took early this morning.

1373198697.jpg

I actually only had to gently peel away that covering to expose the soil. Though I dug into the soil with my hands, it is root infested, so it will be a chore to sift those out!

Jeff

I also wanted to add, what you thought of me adding some sand to the soil mix? My neighbor used it for his concrete mixing and has plenty left, any thoughts?

Amazon.com has the " 8 ft. Cord Set with Socket for Vertical Hanging" for $17 and change under Patio, Lawn and Garden. As far as soil if you have access to compost that is the best as long as you add some perlite to open it up. As for baking soil in an oven the main reason is to kill off insects and their eggs and any molds and bacteria that may be harmful to plants. You can always refortify the nutes and microbes with a number of products from Fox Farm all of which you can get on Amazon.com.

Back
Top Bottom