Decarbing THCA crystals for edibles

Scott Peterson

420 Member
Hello, I've looked all over but can't find an answer to my question. I couldn't find a thread for this, forgive me if this has been asked
I bought some thca crystals and wanted to use them for edibles I was told you can sprinkle it in your food and then place it in the oven but I can't find instructions anywhere
How do I decarb?

240f for 1hr does it. Say your gonna make brownies, requires cooking oil. Place oil and your crystals in a stainless steel measuring cup. In to the oven for an hour at 240. Any fat, butter, whole milk etc. works. I make RSO and use it straight but we also use it for edibles the same way described.

I just read a suggestion about mixing keif with some peanut butter and directly ingesting it. I've got good deal of keif from my outdoor grow, in fact more than one harvest. There was no mention of decarbing it first. Was that just assumed or can it be consumed effectively "raw"? Another suggests adding it to hot tea or coffee. Does that decarb it well enough?

I should have started with this question: I am assuming my outdoor home grow to be something like 10 to 12% THC. With that given, what are suggestions for the amount of dry ice derived keif to use per serving, assuming the user, myself, is experienced and requires a high dose.

I just read a suggestion about mixing keif with some peanut butter and directly ingesting it. I've got good deal of keif from my outdoor grow, in fact more than one harvest. There was no mention of decarbing it first. Was that just assumed or can it be consumed effectively "raw"? Another suggests adding it to hot tea or coffee. Does that decarb it well enough?
Ineffective raw. Must be decarbed before consumption. Contact time isn’t long enough with coffee or tea.

What do you think the concentration of thc is? Theres bound to be some plant material so 50-60% Thc? Weigh a dose. I take 100mg edible to feel it. So I’d weigh up about 200mg for a dose if it were decarbed.

zigzagman; Sounds like you are on target. I think 10% THC from flowers, dry ice extracted #160 keif (the whole extraction, I don't stop to separate the first "dusting", I shake with an orbital polisher till it slows). I say 10% due to comparison of my home grow's flowers with the best of "Local Delivery" THC content tested and labeled to as high as 30%. It takes up to 3x the home grow to produce the same effect of the 30% THC I've purchased. I'm trying to avoid alcohol extracted oil due to the cost of the alcohol and then ingesting alcohol's leftovers. I've converted the last two seasons harvest to this Keif. I've enjoyed the best of delivery purchased / tested THC content brownies and know I like about a 250mg dose. Can that mean I just plan on 2.5 grams of my Keif per serving? I see edible recipes with much less concentration, but as a 50 year user I need the high dose for the pain relief I need.

To Decarb my Keif I've made a pancake of it about 4mm thick on foil sheets (top and bottom sheets, pressed and folded tight to prevent off gassing placed between ceramic dinner plates then convection pre heated to 230 but for less time, about 40min due to thinness of the "pancake".

2500mg seems like a lot of material to consume but if thats what works........Sounds like you're on track with decarb. 40 min is probably fine for activation. I use 240 at an hour. Might be overkill but it does the trick..I consume up to a gram of oil at a time and its pretty convenient. 30 second wash with 99.9% iso. Iso evaporation in a rice cooker set to high. After evaporation, oil is placed in a stainless steel measuring cup and in the oven at 240f for 2hours to purge any left over ISO contaminants and to decarb. Ive found the oil can be left at 240f for hours with out destroying the thc. When dosing assume 100% active ingredient.

For extraction you get about 4 grams of pure oil per ounce of quality bud. Im basically eating a ¼ oz of weed in a sitting. High tolerance for edibles dosen't effect my tolerance for smoking or vaping. 5-6 hits of good weed does the trick.

zigzagman; Sounds like you are on target. I think 10% THC from flowers, dry ice extracted #160 keif (the whole extraction, I don't stop to separate the first "dusting", I shake with an orbital polisher till it slows). I say 10% due to comparison of my home grow's flowers with the best of "Local Delivery" THC content tested and labeled to as high as 30%. It takes up to 3x the home grow to produce the same effect of the 30% THC I've purchased. I'm trying to avoid alcohol extracted oil due to the cost of the alcohol and then ingesting alcohol's leftovers. I've converted the last two seasons harvest to this Keif. I've enjoyed the best of delivery purchased / tested THC content brownies and know I like about a 250mg dose. Can that mean I just plan on 2.5 grams of my Keif per serving? I see edible recipes with much less concentration, but as a 50 year user I need the high dose for the pain relief I need.

Using the 18% THC content of my strains, I've found that 37mg is my sweet spot for edibles. Any thing over 50mg and I risk a green out, complete with simultaneous projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea. I'm 74 and use tincture nightly both for the high and as a sleep aid. This provides me a 10hr. experience. Everyone's brain and body processes the cannabinoids and terpenes differently. Every strain is unique and so are we.

Dosage.png

Using the 18% THC content of my strains, I've found that 37mg is my sweet spot for edibles. Any thing over 50mg and I risk a green out, complete with simultaneous projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea. I'm 74 and use tincture nightly both for the high and as a sleep aid. This provides me a 10hr. experience. Everyone's brain and body processes the cannabinoids and terpenes differently. Every strain is unique and so are we.

Dosage.png
Thanks, Skirk! Nice chart. I think 100mg (one gram of decarbed keif) will be a good starting point for my edible recipes. My starting material I believe is only 10% THC. I don't sort the shakes, using an orbital polisher does a great job of separating the keif while not so rough as shaking. The buzzing of the polisher makes my arthritic wrists a little numb, which is a good thing. You all ought to try an orbital polisher, efficient, easy and thorough.

2500mg seems like a lot of material to consume but if thats what works........Sounds like you're on track with decarb. 40 min is probably fine for activation. I use 240 at an hour. Might be overkill but it does the trick..I consume up to a gram of oil at a time and its pretty convenient. 30 second wash with 99.9% iso. Iso evaporation in a rice cooker set to high. After evaporation, oil is placed in a stainless steel measuring cup and in the oven at 240f for 2hours to purge any left over ISO contaminants and to decarb. Ive found the oil can be left at 240f for hours with out destroying the thc. When dosing assume 100% active ingredient.

For extraction you get about 4 grams of pure oil per ounce of quality bud. Im basically eating a ¼ oz of weed in a sitting. High tolerance for edibles dosen't effect my tolerance for smoking or vaping. 5-6 hits of good weed does the trick.
I believe I said 250mg (2.5 grams) of decarbed keif. Indeed 2500mg would make me sick. Even then, 2.5 grams is alot but my starting material I judge to be 10-12% THC.

Back
Top Bottom