Edibles revisited

JoetheChro

After getting some advice on where to post to get the best questions....

Put up a post about amount of weed to use in a batch of edibles in a far flung corner of 420 that HashGirl kindly found. Would like to know how much to get a proper f##### up, can't move for laughing type buzz. Used to use block hash with no problems and get it. My tolerance is pretty good, I've been using RSO almost ďaily for the past 5 years, smoke joints all day.

Any help with decarb methods might be handy, never really done it as was making RSO for years but no longer able to due to where I'm living. Just seems mental to put bud in an oven for 30-60 mins, tbh I've got jittery and opened it up after 20 mins for fear of burning it

Any help much appreciated

I can tell you what I do.
There's 100 different ways, this is the way that works for me.

To decarb, I take at least 1 oz and break it up fairly small, doesn't need to be like ground ready to roll but pretty small.
I put it into a mason jar and screw the lid til barely snug then back off just a bit.
Take the jar put into a 225⁰ oven for 70 minutes.
The jar keeps majority of smell down plus some of the terpenes in the jar with the bud.
Take it out at 70 minutes and snug up lid and let cool.
It will vacuum seal.
I make strong tinctures, could make RSO just by evaporating ALL the alcohol out, instead I leave just a tiny bit in, just enough to make it so I can use a dropper.
Its about like maple syrup out of the refrigerator.
This makes it super easy to dose and use sublingual so it starts to come on in 15 minutes instead of 2 hours like RSO.

I use an Extractcraft Source Turbo to extract the oil, this saves 95% of the 200 proof alcohol and its all done under vacuum at 105⁰ so saves any of the terpenes I may have been able to save at decarb.
I usually get 15ml of very strong tincture that has zero alcohol burn from 1 oz.

To decarb, I take at least 1 oz and break it up fairly small, doesn't need to be like ground ready to roll but pretty small.
I put it into a mason jar and screw the lid til barely snug then back off just a bit.
The jar keeps majority of smell down plus some of the terpenes in the jar with the bud.
It will vacuum seal.
I make strong tinctures, could make RSO just by evaporating ALL the alcohol out, instead I leave just a tiny bit in, just enough to make it so I can use a dropper.
This makes it super easy to dose and use sublingual so it starts to come on in 15 minutes instead of 2 hours like RSO.

I use an Extractcraft Source Turbo to extract the oil, this saves 95% of the 200 proof alcohol and its all done under vacuum at 105⁰ so saves any of the terpenes I may have been able to save at decarb.
I usually get 15ml of very strong tincture that has zero alcohol burn from 1 oz.
Thanks Nunyabiz. Very very helpful but think its my fault for not stating I will just be using green, as I said earlier I already posted something similar into a place on 420 where it wouldn't get the coverage it needed, I didn't put the same detail into 2nd attempt and forgot some details, sorry bro

Will just be using dry bud, recently made a thc lean with 6 grams of bud into 330 ml of water, 450ml of sugar and 2 tablespoons of VG.

Decarbed weed at 105 'C (220f for y'all Stateside) for 20 mins. Was very dry, been curing for 4 months and crushed it up roughly

Understand I may have made a mistake here, i got a bit paranoid about burning it. I covered it with a sheet of tinfoil but felt I may have took it off too early at 20 mins? The guide I was going from said 30 mins but I've encountered people saying 45 to 60 mins so any advice from anywhere or any who much appreciated

Will just be using dry bud, recently made a thc lean with 6 grams of bud into 330 ml of water, 450ml of sugar and 2 tablespoons of VG.
While I've only made edibles a couple times (I don't like the high) and I'm far from an expert, I think your issue is, even if you decarb the weed ahead of time, the trichomes/THC are not water soluble, you can soak it for a month in water, and you're not going to get the THC out of it. It needs an alcohol or an oil to strip the trichomes/THC off the bud. Then the oil can be used or the alcohol heated and volatilized leaving the resin, which can be made into edibles. I make bubble hash quite often, and that uses ice cold water and agitation to mechanically break the trichomes, which are then filtered in different micron size bags.

I put an ounce of weed in a foil packet (make sure it’s sealed all around the edges), and put it in the oven at 240 degrees for 90 mins. It smells a little bit, but works perfectly for making edibles. That method is used by a lot of growers here and I picked it up from Amy Gardner and @InTheShed. I’ve never had any issues with it.
Lol on the foil packet, I did the same thing but for no where near as long as I should have, thanks for the advice. Have got an ounce of debris, bottom buds and the like, no stalks that I'm going to use either tomorrow or the day after, going to see what others say here and try and take the best of most advice without clouding judgement (if that's possible here!)

While I've only made edibles a couple times (I don't like the high) and I'm far from an expert, I think your issue is, even if you decarb the weed ahead of time, the trichomes/THC are not water soluble, you can soak it for a month in water, and you're not going to get the THC out of it. It needs an alcohol or an oil to strip the trichomes/THC off the bud. Then the oil can be used or the alcohol heated and volatilized leaving the resin, which can be made into edibles. I make bubble hash quite often, and that uses ice cold water and agitation to mechanically break the trichomes, which are then filtered in different micron size bags.
My apologies I don't think I've explained enough or maybe you didn't see in the OP, have been making RSO for years, understand the mechanics behind separating thc from plant using alcohol etc. I'm not putting the bud in into water to try and strip it. Latest edible was a THC lean using vegetable glycerin

Also made bubble hash, soap box and beaten pollen

My apologies just read post back, I'm new to making lean, the recipe I got was water based but used VG, is there another one without or just skip and use RSO?

I've been making edibles for years and have tried all various methods of decarbing but since I bought a Magical Butter Machine it has simplified it all for me and I recommend buying a MB and decarb Box to anyone.

Decarb: I Decarb in the box for 25min @ 125C, I find it is the easiest time/temp to manage without burning your hands.

MB: Press the buttons and come back later.

Well worth the outlay if you are keen on making lots of edibles, I run through 2oz of trim per 500ml of MCT Cocnut Oil and find it a good strength. 1ml under the tounge or 2ml in a gummy bear does the trick.

Decarb graph FYI.
1650342878354.png

It will vacuum seal.

Hi Nunyabiz. I recently acquired and extract craft machine and am just learning how to use it. I’ve heard that you can make tinctures from the oil created in the machine but am not finding recipes for it. Have you ever done that? Thanks in advance!

Hi Nunyabiz. I recently acquired and extract craft machine and am just learning how to use it. I’ve heard that you can make tinctures from the oil created in the machine but am not finding recipes for it. Have you ever done that? Thanks in advance!
All I make is tincture.
All you do is simply leave just a little bit of alcohol in it, don't evaporate all of it out so its like super thick oil you leave enough alcohol to where is like maple syrup.
Its not enough alcohol to give you that harsh burn, but enough so you can use a dropper bottle.
Makes nice strong tincture

All I make is tincture.
All you do is simply leave just a little bit of alcohol in it, don't evaporate all of it out so its like super thick oil you leave enough alcohol to where is like maple syrup.
Its not enough alcohol to give you that harsh burn, but enough so you can use a dropper bottle.
Makes nice strong tincture
Thank you for your response! I think I may be asking the question wrong. So, I have a Magical Butter Machine and I love it and use it a lot. The only downside to it is that you have to fill it to a minimum line which I believe is about an ounce or two of weed and a bottle or two of 151 alcohol (I make this tincture to use in gummy making primarily). I want to make a smaller batch tincture with some of the harvests I've had that weren't super high yielding so that I can make specialized types of gummies vice just making the tincture out of "what I have the most of". A batch takes 1/2 cup of tincture from the MBM. It seems like the extract craft makes a much more potent and concentrated end product than the MBM. How do I get a less concentrated tincture from the oil that I produce in the extract craft? Or is it even possible? Thanks so much.

I make edibles all the time, out of butter (cookies and brownies) and coconut oil (Gummies) :ciao: here's what the Magic Butter site says;

While 250°F/121°C is the optimal temperature to activate THC, slightly higher temperatures (along with longer cook times) are effective at activating other beneficial cannabinoids like CBD and CBN, should you choose to highlight them instead. Please note that while higher temperatures/times help activate CBD and then CBN, each higher temp/time can also diminish the effect of a previously activated cannabinoid.

CANNABINOID ACTIVATION CHART​

THC:- Decarb at 250°F (121°C) for 30-45 minutes
CBD: Decarb at 280°F (140°C) for 60-90 minutes
CBN: Decarb at 320°F (160°C) for 90-120 minutes

If you do not have a DecarBox, use an oven roasting bag or on a rimmed baking sheet. Make sure the pan is the correct size so there is not an empty space on the pan. Bake for desired time, stirring every 10 minutes so that it toasts evenly. When the flower is darker in color—a light to medium brown—and has dried out, remove the bag or baking sheet and allow the herb to cool. It should be quite crumbly when handled.

Back
Top Bottom