Designing my room - Ventilation! It's killing my brain cells

scruffy420

So, I'm working on a design of my own, and I have most of it down. The problem is that I'm having trouble calculating the proper ventilation needs. I have a fairly niche case, and I'm looking for help with it, if there are any HVAC-savvy people out there. Since, I'm doing this myself, I'm of the persuasion of go big, or go home (although, this will be at home :p). It should be known that I'm a crazy person, and am probably going over the top, but I'm an engineering student, and I'm having so much fun, I can't stand it. I want each room to be completely air-tight (done), light-tight (done), silent (can-do), and smell free (<- most important, also done).

Of note, the rooms are setup as such (also, my profile picture is the actual layout of my setup, though not to scale, haha. I can't figure out how to just upload the picture to here, so I apologize. I don't know if it's even big enough for you to see, but hopefully you can get a basic idea of it)(EDIT: I just figured it out, the link should now be included as a comment below this post!) :

-5x5 Veg/trim room first, with 2x5 being veg, and 3x5 being a sitting area for trimming and storing nutes etc. Inlet filters are installed at the front end of each area, near floor level, as they are separated by a wall. They will be passive intakes. There will be an access door in this room, from outside the enclosure.
- Flower room is between the veg and vent rooms: 5x5. A door will exist between the sitting/trimming area, and the flower room. (Note: not in the actual veg portion of the first room)
- Vent room is last, and is completely sealed off from the two, with the exception of the two carbon filter lines that run through the wall from the flower to the vent room. the vent room will have 2 10" penetrations to outside the enclosure, for exhausting the air.

So, here are my ideas, and current set up:

- Total dimensions: 12'x5'9"x8' (LxWxH): These dimensions also include the walls, which will each be ~4.5" thick (a total of 4 walls).
- Three adjacent rooms: a 5'x5' Trimming/Veg room, a 5'x5' Flower room, and a 1.5'x5' Ventilation room. All rooms will have a height of 7.5'.
- The ventilation room will house my exhaust fan, required piping, and noise silencer.
- The flower room houses my carbon filters, supply fan, and required piping.

My setup is a bit of insanity, so bare with me here, and if you can visualize the rooms, that would be great!

Exhaust:

- 2x 8" carbon filters - each of these are ran through 8" permanent round ducting through the wall that connects the flower room to the vent room.
- A "T" junction connects the piping from the exhaust side of both filters, placing them in parallel, and giving me one exhaust pipe.
- An 8" to 10" "reducer" increases piping size to allow the placement of a 10" fan
- The 10" Phresh Hyper Fan is then connected to the system, in a "pull mode", exhausting air out of the flower room.
- 10" Flow silencer is installed on the exhaust side of the fan
- A 10" "T" junction splits flow back into 2 lines, which are ran to the outside edge of the box, through the wall, and form the actual exhaust ports for the system.

Supply:

- Original:
- I wanted to use just passive intake, however, I also want my veg/trim room ventilated, as my young plants need fresh air, and I have heard that harvesting is the smelliest part of the adventure, so I don't want that getting out. So, I have to have a way to connect the veg room to the flower room.

- Problem:
- After doing some initial calculations, it looks like my 10" fan will not actually be able to generate enough static pressure to achieve a flow rate high enough for proper ventilation, if I simply connect the two rooms together. My total volume to be ventilated is 375 cu. ft. I need to generate at least 3" H2O of static pressure for this to even possibly work. I'd like a bit more, to achieve a higher flow rate.

-Proposed solution:
- Add a 6" Phresh Hyper Fan, aligned as a second source of "pull", located in the flower room, and pulling through a setup very similar to my flower room exhaust. This idea led me to the thought of "Well, if I'm adding a second fan that's going to actually blow air INTO my flower room, why not make it work for me? I can add a bit of ductwork to the situation and route the piping to the bottom of my flower room, and then point the ducts at my flowers, which will blow air across them, thus eliminating the need for a circulating fan inside the flower room. Also, most circulating fans run a higher power draw than the 6" fan, so it actually saves energy, which is a bonus!". The system will include 2x 6" ducts as intakes, one drawing from each area of the veg/trim room. They will be placed near the ceiling (furthest point from the inlet filters, and this also helps in that it allows me to utilize the pressure exerted by the air due to the Pressure-Fluid Height relationship). These ducts will run to a "T", and form the inlet to the fan. The fan will be attached so that it sucks air from the veg room, and there will be a silencer attached. A 6" to 4" reducer will be placed at the outlet of the silencer so that it causes the air in the duct to travel faster, as this will promote air mixing in the room, and cause a higher air speed across the plants, which is the whole purpose of running the extra ducts. The outlet for the fan will be run and split into four parallel branches (from a pressure standpoint; they don't necessarily have to be geometrically parallel). Each of the four ducts will run to the walls, and then run down the sides, near the floor, and pointed at the growing area of each of the (4) pots I'm looking to be flowering, at a time.

- Parameters:
- My inlet filters (in the veg/trim areas) are simple 10"x10" HVAC filters (or 20"x20", dependent upon what sort of air velocity I want, to include the balancing of the flow rates in each of the veg and trim areas of the first room). Their initial static pressure drop is low; Approximately .25" H2O. However, I don't want to replace filters every month, because that can become very costly, so I'd like to design the system to be able to operate up to the rated capacity and pressure drop of the filters, which is ~1" H2O.
- I want to do this with one fan, and since my trim and veg areas are going to be closed off by a door, I need to run two vent ducts; one from each area, into the flower room, where the fan will be mounted.
- I want the fan to be quiet, which I can solve on my own, after the system is built. The one thing I would like included in the system is a flow silencer, and there will be a veritable boatload of air moving in this piping.
- I want ducts ran to each approximate flowering area, to circulate air in my room, and give the plants the little bit of air movement they need to build good, strong stems.

- Issues with design:
- My biggest issue is that I can't really find information that covers the corner case that I'm experiencing. I need to be able to figure out how operating two different fans, with different output pressures and flow rates will affect each other, when operating. I do know pump laws, and flow characteristics such as speed of the pump in relation to pump head, flow rate, and horsepower (or just power draw, in this case) of the pump, and I'm pretty sure that the two pumps will operate at a point where their two flow graphs intersect. What I don't know, is if the 10" fan will overspeed the 6" fan, and wear it down faster, or if I'll be just fine with simply placing the 6" fan in the new ducting, turning it on, and letting it do its thing. The total output pressure of the two fans adds up to ~ 4.56" H2O, which should be enough to overcome system resistance and give me what I want, but it is also a possibility that I'll need the 8" fan as my "supply" fan. My biggest issue is that this is such a weird thing to be looking to do, that I can't find solid answers to my dilemma online, so I can't find out if it'll work or not. I've done simply too many calculations, (I am fairly experienced with fluid flow, and fluid/thermodynamics.) and still cannot figure it out.

- Conclusion:

I appreciate any help that I can get with this; I know there's gotta be someone on the site who knows, or at least has some idea of, what I can do to solve the problem. It's frying my brain. I am, however, a minimum of 8-12 months from starting this project, as I have some stuff going on right now that precludes me from buying anything, as it is just too expensive. I understand that my project is expensive, and if your idea/solution seems really expensive, that's okay. I expect it. This is a long-term project, and I want it to be a permanent growing area. It's an investment for me. So, all ideas are welcome, and I really do appreciate any insight that you guys have! Thank you in advance, and I hope everyone here a joyous time!

I do agree that those are necessary, but I already have those. My intakes are passive. However, my problem is that I don't know how the system will be affected because I don't know how the fans are actually wired and controlled. If the fan controllers are actually wired for maintaining speed in a set band, I should be good. If they're set to keep voltage or current in band, I may be screwed. I just can't find the information online for it.

Hey Scruffy

OK, you are an engineering student, good job its a fine profession :thumb: The reason your brain is hurting is you have forgotten the 1st rule of engineering: (many do LOL) KISS. You are over thinking your problem and over complicating it.

Here are the MAIN things we need to know to solve your problem:

1: Flow rate of the fans you intend to use, preferably in CFMs
2: the total volume of you 3 areas

From there we can help you design your flow and ducting :)

Flow rate of the 6" fan is 315 CFM rated @ 0" pressure. Max pressure: 2.16" H2O. 10": 1065 CFM @ 0" pressure, max pressure: 2.4" H2O. Approximate values are used for the pressures since I can't find an actual definitive answer. Total volume to be ventilated is 375 cubic feet. Total pressure drop across filters and ventilation is somewhere around 3-3.5" H2O.

OK Scruffy, I have a number of pages open here so I can flip back an forth between you layout and description LOL

First we'll start at the exhaust end because flow here will dictate the maximum flow we can achieve.

Where the two 8" ducts join in a "T", is it possible to replace that 8" "T" with a 10" or 12" "T". Two 8" lines coming into a 8" "T" is a bottle neck. To minimize flow restrictions of two lines coming together, its best to increase the diameter of the down flow duct by 50%. A 50% increase in diameter gives slightly over double the cross sectional area which in turn minimizes turbulence and backpressure.

Even though you are using a 10" fan, a 12" "T" with reducers would give you the best flow rate at this point.

Next, leave your passive intakes as you have in you diagram with a total cross sectional area of 100sq in of slightly less, the area of your two 8" round exhaust ducts is about 101 sq in and you want to be lower than that.

Use the 6" 315CFM fan through the wall between your veg room and flower room keeping in mind that the passive intake for that area needs to be under 28 sq in (the crossectional area of a 6" round duct)

For the trim room, you want a fan or fans totaling about 600 CFM through the wall between this room and the flower room and the passive intake about 65 to 70 sq in.

By setting it up this way, you have ever increasing flow from intake to exhaust creating a slight negative pressure within the rooms which minimizes the chance of smells escaping the grow area. There should be no need for any silencing of the internal fans, only the exhaust fan. It will also allow for a complete exchange of air approximately every 4 minutes which is great :)

First and foremost, I'd like to say thank you. I appreciate the time you have invested in helping me to figure out the best way to set this up.

On to business. They don't make variable sized T joints, that I have seen, or know of. So, I think my best bet will probably be in using a Y junction, and a couple of elbows of the 45 and 90-degree variety. It'll throw off my measurements a bit, but I have room to work with. I agree that the T is a bottleneck, but since I couldn't find any that gave me a larger sized output, I just went with that and a reverse seated flow reducer. However, the Y is easily available in an 8"x8"->10" type. I'll just have to move things around; no problem there.

I'd like to stick with just two fans, to reduce overall cost of the venture, and it's not too hard to ventilate the space with those fans. My real question is more along the lines of "do you know what maximum flow rate I can achieve with just those two fans?". I know the 10" fan will pull a lot more than the 6", and the air that's being removed has to be replaced somehow. Which means it'll have to end up coming through the 6" fan. I'd like to cross connect the veg and trim rooms through the 6" fan, just to keep the number of ventilation penetrations between rooms to a minimum, to preclude any leakage. I just don't know how that will actually affect the 6" fan. If the "speed controller" is in fact a speed controller, vice regulating incoming current, then I think we'll be just fine, as it'll just act in a way that make my smaller fan more efficient (draw less current). If not, it may damage the fan. Which I don't want to do. I'd rather not burn down the house, lol.

All in all, I don't know if what I want to do is really possible, with the way the fans are actually manufactured. If you know anything at all about them, I'd be more than delighted to know, as I've emailed the company already, and have received no response.

So, I'm still a little lost, but I'll be making the suggested changes to configuration, so that I can more appropriately ventilated the space. Again, I want to say thank you for your help and insight. It is truly appreciated!

Hello again Scruffy :)

If I understand your intent, then put the 6" fan in the wall between the veg room and trim room, with the passive vents as in your diagram, keeping the one for the veg room at approx. 28 sq in and the second passive intake in the trim room approx. 50 sq in and a 100 sq in vent between the trim room and flower room (where you show the door).

By doing this, you max the flow between the trim room and flower room, which will be dictated by the 10" fan. Somewhere between 800 and 900 CFM (allowing for 10-20% flow loss due to the filters).

The 28 sq in intake for the veg almost matches the 6" fan so will max the flow through the veg room and having the 2nd intake for the trim room at 50 sq in or less will keep all air moving from left to right in you schematic so no smell escapes the trim room and your 6" fan won't be over sped by the draw of the 10" fan.

You question about max flow rate will be dictated by the flow efficiency of the filters and the 1065 CFM of the 10" fan so long as you have intakes for both the trim and veg rooms and the 6" fan will have no bearing on the flow losses. I would estimate a 10% loss giving you approx. 900CFM over all, but without knowing the efficiency of the filters, that's the best I can tell you.

Even with the efficiency of the filters, I would have to go back to the books to give you a better answer. Its been almost 17 years since I took Fluid Mechanics LOL

With 2 8" filters, your flow loss is likely to be closer to 10% than 20%.

It's all good man, I think that sounds about right. The losses due to the filters depends on flow rate, since high flow results in more head loss, essentially. Since, they're in parallel, it reduces the overall loss (which is why I did two filters). Again, I do really appreciate your time, since I know this seems like I'm doing some whacky shit to get the same results that people often get from just doing it the standard way. But, I'm having a ton of fun making this a complicated architectural and engineering project. I want the best performance for money and time, and 100% concealment. If everything works like I think it will, this box should be the most stealthy grow room on the block, while still giving me plenty of room to grow the best plants I can. Thank you, again! Merry growing! :)

I fully intend on doing so. I'm thinking I'm going to make my YouTube channel a place to show it off as well. It should all be legal and such, so I think it'd be great. You guys are helping me a ton, so I'm definitely giving back if I can :) it's gonna be awesome!

Back
Top Bottom