I Need Some Feedback On My First Grow Room Setup!

LOL. I like the baking pan reflector.

It looks like things are going well. Are you still adding heat and moisture to the room?

How's the temps in the basement, outside the grow room?

LOL. I like the baking pan reflector.

It looks like things are going well. Are you still adding heat and moisture to the room?

How's the temps in the basement, outside the grow room?

Hey Nerd nice to hear from you again! That baking pan reflector is pretty high tech huh? I took apart a old double socket light fixture and wired that up myself.:high-five:.

Last night it was 25F outside, but my basement stays a pretty steady 60-70F. When I switched out the MH bulb for HPS to transition to flower I just stuck the MH bulb in a econo-wing. Since the wing isn't air cooled it raises the temp in my garden and the heater doesn't kick on as much but exhaust fan run's way more. I added a humidifier to keep the RH up, but when the exh. fan cycles on it lowers it to 30-40%. When it goes off the RH goes back up again. Now, since the exhaust fan is running way more its pretty much wasting my co2. Which do you think will get me better results, having the extra 1k watt light or running co2 during flower? Until I get another ballast for my other air cooled reflector I'm gonna have to go with one or the other. :thanks::lot-o-toke:

The other day I clipped off a few small branches off the choco x orange o.g.
Pretty sure that made her turn hermi. Either that or when I water while the lights are on, I move that one out of the room so I have access to all the others. Its hard to get close ups with the GoPro.

GOPR4719.JPG
GOPR4717.JPG
GOPR4715.JPG
GOPR4714.JPG

Hard to tell from the pics, but I think they should be more obviously one way or the other in a few days to a week. If it really is male or hermy, it'll present more conspicuously after more development. It should be safe to wait, I don't think male flowers open till they're mature, right? I could be wrong, I'm hoping not. Hope this is just a false alarm!

I added a humidifier to keep the RH up, but when the exh. fan cycles on it lowers it to 30-40%. When it goes off the RH goes back up again. Now, since the exhaust fan is running way more its pretty much wasting my co2. Which do you think will get me better results, having the extra 1k watt light or running co2 during flower? Until I get another ballast for my other air cooled reflector I'm gonna have to go with one or the other. :thanks::lot-o-toke:

How about using the second light as the heater? As I understand, you need high levels of light, heat and CO2 to get the extra growth rates.
I wouldn't stress about this; it's your first cycle. Give yourself some wiggle room to make mistakes and learn what works in your setup.
Until you can control the temperatures in the room without lots of venting, you are probably getting little benefit from elevated CO2 levels.

People suggest running the day light cycle at night when it's the coolest. Can you run the 2nd light only if the temperatures are below 85-90F at the canopy during the light cycle? Vent only to lower humidity when CO2 is supplied.

FYI, I found I could stick a magnifying glass in front of my phone lens to take better closeup photos. You should monitor the male suspects daily or more often. Suspect the whole branch or plant if you see male pods. Cannabis won't go hermie just because of a dark, rainy afternoon, or a couple of broken branches. I'd blame genetics more than this amount of stress.

Finished 2nd Week Of Flower.

Here we are half way through week 3 of flower. The girls are looking great! There's some purple on the new growth so I got some Cal-mag. If that doesn't help I'll go up to 4 ML/ GL of the Flora Nova Bloom.
Had to kill the choco o.g. x orange o.g. it was def. hermied. I just replaced it with the same strain I started at the same time but I've been keeping it in a small pot. Here's some update pics, I finally got some good close-ups thanks to CoNerd's advice.:geek:
GOPR4730.JPG
GOPR4731.JPG
GOPR4732.JPG
GOPR4733.JPG
GOPR4734.JPG
GOPR4735.JPG
GOPR4736.JPG
GOPR4737.JPG
GOPR4768.JPG

I'd guess each plant would need 2-3 quarts of water to saturate. I always let the soil get pretty dry, then water to saturation, with standing water in the bottom. I add about 2-3 cups at a time to each pot until I start to see runoff. Test the runoff if you have a pH and TDS/EC meter. I let the pots stand in water at least 30 minutes as the soil takes awhile to come to equilibrium, then I remove the excess. I water again only when the soil is very dry. Ideally, the plants should start drooping a bit before you add water again. I've always found that drought stress makes cannabis come back stronger relative to plants watered whenever the top of the soil felt dry.

I think my methods are pretty standard. Pick up each pot every day and feel it's weight. Once it feels really light, the soil should be nice and dry. Watch it very closely, then water to saturation at the first signs of plant stress.

Your grow is looking really nice. You'll likely get some rapid growth up in the next weeks. I'd recommend looking into defoliating your plants to enhance bud verses leaf mass production. Start with removing all fan leaves shading buds below. You want those buds exposed to the light. There's lot's of nice videos on the Y'tube site on how to do this.

:Namaste:

Halfway through flower!!

Finished week 4 flower. Trichome production on the plant closest to the vertical MH light isn't on par with the other two, maybe the added heat on that one? Laser thermo reads 85 on the leaves so it shouldn't be too close. Besides that everything looks and smells tasty.

Went to Lowe's and found some individual parts to make my own cfl housing.
GOPR4784.JPG

GOPR4794.JPG
GOPR4793.JPG
GOPR4795.JPG
GOPR4797.JPG
GOPR4796.JPG
GOPR4798.JPG
GOPR4799.JPG
GOPR4800.JPG

Your grow is looking pretty nice for a 1st round!:goodjob:

RE: Your CFL setup. My own experience with FL is that you need to get the leaves as close as possible to the bulbs or the plants will stretch. I veg my little ones under T8's currently and I let the top leaves press up on the bulb cover. 0.5-4" is the ideal spacing, IMO.

I know the large CFL's with a reflector will allow more standoff.

-Cheers!

Gettin Close!!

Your grow is looking pretty nice for a 1st round!:goodjob:

RE: Your CFL setup.

-Cheers!

Thanks Nerd! I'll be getting this 4 bulb sun blaze t5 fixture in a cpl of weeks. Hydro shop guy says I can go through veg with it if I wanted. I think your advise is really paying off, 2 week's left in the 8 week flower period. Bud's look different on each plant. Here's some current pic's. Am I doin it right? :bitingnails:

00043.jpg

Corn Cob'z
000112.jpg

Most Frozty
00038.jpg

Just as Frozty
00029.jpg

Re: Gettin Close!!

Thanks Nerd! I'll be getting this 4 bulb sun blaze t5 fixture in a cpl of weeks. Hydro shop guy says I can go through veg with it if I wanted. I think your advise is really paying off, 2 week's left in the 8 week flower period. Bud's look different on each plant. Here's some current pic's. Am I doin it right? :bitingnails:

Most Frozty
00038.jpg

Yup. I'd say you got the general idea. :thumb:

Now is the time to take a deep breath and think about what you have to do to keep it right and not reveal your grow.
Don't be tempted to show what nice work you've done. Maintain self discipline, everywhere.

Those buds will get pretty stinky as they dry. You'll need a place to wash and trim. I highly recommend getting nice trimming scissors if you don't have them. You'll have a lot refuse that's "too good to compost". What to do with that?

Plan ahead for harvest. It takes a lot more work than you probably expect. It caught me by surprise.

I'm still trying to figure out how to properly process, dry and cure without stinking up my house. I decided 1/2 gal mason jars were the most cost effective way to get big enough containers with proper seals. Too much of a good thing can be a problem. :)

Re: Gettin Close!!

Thanks Nerd! I'm gonna hang everything outside the grow room where all the air is vented outside into the middle of a empty field. I live on 16 acres so I'm not too worried about the smell. I use the spring loaded Fiskars to trim, and I save all the sugar for bho later. I used mason jars last time, and it got to be a hassle opening and dumping out 20 mason jars every day. So I went to hobby lobby and got these big air tight candy jars for 10 bucks each. the tall square ones are only 5 bucks.
CAM001803.jpg

Back
Top Bottom