Multi - Strain Mushroom Grow, LC, Coir, Popcorn

I have four strains to work with, all live culture. I think I want to do two jars of each strain, cuz a little redundancy can help in case a jar fails. My popcorn is a little old, I bought it back in 2021 at a Restaurant Depot, which is kind of like a Costco but for restaurants. When I pulled the big bag of popcorn out of the bucket I stored in I noticed some dead weevils at the bottom of the bucket, but I'm not too worried about them cuz I'm going to be pressure cooking the jars of grain.
Like my previous grow I'll be using Eco Earth Coco coir. I will not be adding gypsum or coffee to the grains this time, but I might add it to the bulk substrate; we'll see how that goes later. Genetics for this grow include Penis Envy #6, Magilla, Y/C, and Toque f7

1000005089.jpg

Four strains times 2 quarts equals 8 lb corn, give or take. Starting a soak now in plain water with carbon filtration on the water so it won't have the chlorine in it. Funny enough, I'm using my liquor still to soak the grain, because I've given up drinking and the still makes a good container.

IMG_20240222_070134.jpg

Okay! Something else I've never done before. I labeled the LC syringes and agar plates, innoc'd the agar. Let's see how this goes! 🤞

IMG_20240222_155126.jpg

@Lady Cannafan I read your comment on my previous scroll and I remembered your name and and I flipped to my new one and I forgot everyone else's names 😂

Help this fellow mushy out please

My short term memory loss is in overdrive this afternoon 😂😂😂🤣

@BeccaBuds I borrowed your list ;)

@Bill284 @ExNavyInSTL @Freak Brothers @JohnnieJC3 @4me2kn0 @MotaMan420 @420 @Stoned Ape @Ramblinrose1965 @Nunyabiz @Tokin Roll @2Water @Slapalottapuss @Keffka @JoetheChro @Lady Cannafan @CaptainLucky @Mycelium Farmer @Spore Genetics @Midwest Grow Kits @seaofgreen18 @Treeibus @Pennywise @Pondwater @safeman @Melville Hobbes @Mitchell Florn @InTheShed @Krissi Carbone @Lerugged @con @Absorber @Porky82

To the sponsors in the list, I'm doing this with private stock genetics, and making my own medium, but I'm open to new things, and y'all and all are welcome to come watch me either grow some great mushrooms or learn something while failing, only time will tell, and let's hope we learn things the good way, all of us. Cheers, and come one come all!

@everyone ? lol

Seems I got time to go find some more mush farmers.

Took the day off work today, but been busy all day. That 420 gummy I ate when I finally sat down is finally working, and working really good. I wonder if I'll get the munchies or not. I had all you could eat everything for lunch, and I had to loosen my belt 😅

In my last grow, I used corn left over from making a distillation mash, which was whole animal corn. I'm looking forward to the results with popcorn, because they're much smaller kernels, so the growing mycelium should see an easier time working it's way over and around the grains.
There are lots of names in the mushroom diary threads. Do the invites in a post and if they are interested they will hang around. :) Always put @ symbol in front of the name so they get the notification.
Thank you, good advice!

In my last grow, I used corn left over from making a distillation mash, which was whole animal corn. I'm looking forward to the results with popcorn, because they're much smaller kernels, so the growing mycelium should see an easier time working it's way over and around the grains.

Thank you, good advice!
I will be watching intently on the corn. I bought a bag of popcorn when I first dove into all of this, and have not had a chance to try it yet. The wild birdseed and Uncle Bens is doing fine. Although the Uncle Ben's seems to be hit and miss for me right now. I don't like that you can only see a portion of what's going on, with the only view through the plastic on the bottom.

I will be watching intently on the corn. I bought a bag of popcorn when I first dove into all of this, and have not had a chance to try it yet. The wild birdseed and Uncle Bens is doing fine. Although the Uncle Ben's seems to be hit and miss for me right now. I don't like that you can only see a portion of what's going one, with the only view through the plastic on the bottom.
I totally agree. About a year and a half ago I tried to do UBtek, and while I started with a case of UB, and a full spore syringe, one one bag ever took off, and only barely. I got into a fight with a family member that night, because they found my box of UB lol. I wasn't supposed to be doing that there, and I threw it all away, prior to moving out lol

I think the excess moisture in UB rice bags is preventative to mycelial growth, or spores taking off. I read something lately, that you want the mycelium to drink the water in the grains, not drown them in water on the grains. Seems to make sense to me.

I totally agree. About a year and a half ago I tried to do UBtek, and while I started with a case of UB, and a full spore syringe, one one bag ever took off, and only barely. I got into a fight with a family member that night, because they found my box of UB lol. I wasn't supposed to be doing that there, and I threw it all away, prior to moving out lol

I think the excess moisture in UB rice bags is preventative to mycelial growth, or spores taking off. I read something lately, that you want the mycelium to drink the water in the grains, not drown them in water on the grains. Seems to make sense to me.
I think I would have to agree on the excess moisture. The bag that did not work had a lot of liquid at the bottom. I assumed it was the Liquid Culture, but I didn't put that much in there. That one got tossed.

Did I ever mention how much work it is to cook corn? Like making whiskey, put your grain and, they put your water in, you let it soak a good while then you heat it to boiling and let it simmer but you got to stir it the whole damn time and the longer you cook a grain the more starchy releasing from it and the stickier it's all getting cooking this popcorns a lot like making whiskey Jesus I didn't think I had to cook it but the little guide I'm following and I'll share that said to boil it cuz ya want to soak up as much water as ya can without leaving the outside of the grains wet

Did I ever mention how much work it is to cook corn? Like making whiskey, put your grain and, they put your water in, you let it soak a good while then you heat it to boiling and let it simmer but you got to stir it the whole damn time and the longer you cook a grain the more starchy releasing from it and the stickier it's all getting cooking this popcorns a lot like making whiskey Jesus I didn't think I had to cook it but the little guide I'm following and I'll share that said to boil it cuz ya want to soak up as much water as ya can without leaving the outside of the grains wet
Yep. That sounds tedious as hell. Takes a long time to dry the outsides of them too? Like we have to do with birdseed. Etc. We have to simmer that too.

Back
Top Bottom