Angkor Wat Mushroom Grow

I wasn't aware there is a spot here for Mushroom Grow Diaries, but here I am!
I started making a journal here Mushroom grow
Of all these jars, TWO are good, and fully colonized. Spawn media is cattle corn, gypsum, and spent coffee, pressure sterilized.
1702824982682.jpeg

The JediMindF**k jars, and two jars of Angkor have wet rot in them, so I'm super hesitant to try anything with them.

I just finished oven-pasteurizing coco coir in turkey pans (covered with foil) after getting the stuff to Field Capacity. It's almost cool enough, as I type this, to mix in my grain spawn from my two GOOD jars of Angkor Wat mycelium that are now fully colonized.

More pics to follow!

In the future I plan to put the gypsum and coffee in the substrate instead of in the grain.

1 quart of coir in each tub didn't go as far as I thought it would. I think once these are fully colonized, I might put a casing layer on them.

IMG_20231217_110145.jpg

Well, it's been like 5 minutes and there's still no growth what the heck!

Of all these jars, TWO are good, and fully colonized. Spawn media is cattle corn, gypsum, and spent coffee, pressure sterilized.
1702824982682.jpeg

The JediMindF**k jars, and two jars of Angkor have wet rot in them, so I'm super hesitant to try anything with them.

I just finished oven-pasteurizing coco coir in turkey pans (covered with foil) after getting the stuff to Field Capacity. It's almost cool enough, as I type this, to mix in my grain spawn from my two GOOD jars of Angkor Wat mycelium that are now fully colonized.

More pics to follow!
Welcome to the @420 Magazine family @AscendedMasterKief. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheer:

1702824982682.jpeg

More pics to follow!
I keep seeing people mention coffee grounds. How much of those do you use?

Have you grown mushrooms before @AscendedMasterKief ?

If so do you have any images you would like to share?

Be safe and grow well my friend,
Tok..
I have grown mushrooms before, but I don't have pictures. This was years ago, so I'm kinda new to it again.

I keep seeing people mention coffee grounds. How much of those do you use?
I used about a teaspoon in each jar of Spawn. I later learned that I should have mixed it in with the bulk substrate along with gypsum, but since I put them in the spawn jars, that's why I'm using just straight coir as substrate. After work today I think I'm going to oven pasteurize a couple more quarts of coco coir, put it on top of the mixture in each tub, unless you all think I should wait.

I used about a teaspoon in each jar of Spawn. I later learned that I should have mixed it in with the bulk substrate along with gypsum, but since I put them in the spawn jars, that's why I'm using just straight coir as substrate. After work today I think I'm going to oven pasteurize a couple more quarts of coco coir, put it on top of the mixture in each tub, unless you all think I should wait.
I am not familiar enough with the substrate to give any advice there. I got my mix recipe from member @Ramblinrose1965.

1 coco coir brick (650 gms) ,8 cups of vermiculite, 1 cup gypsum, and 4.5 qts of water. put all dry ingrediants in a sanitized 5 gallon bucket. Add boiling water and cover with the lid. let stand until cool. then mix the slop. Test for field capacity and your good to go.

Hopefully someone more in the know can pop in.

I'm heading into the shroom room to make up some liquid culture jars this morning, first time for that too. :)

I am not familiar enough with the substrate to give any advice there. I got my mix recipe from member @Ramblinrose1965.

1 coco coir brick (650 gms) ,8 cups of vermiculite, 1 cup gypsum, and 4.5 qts of water. put all dry ingrediants in a sanitized 5 gallon bucket. Add boiling water and cover with the lid. let stand until cool. then mix the slop. Test for field capacity and your good to go.

I'm heading into the shroom room to make up some liquid culture jars this morning, first time for that too. :)
I am very leary about bucket method. as the water cools, it pulls a vacuum on the closed bucket, and can break the bucket, contaminating and spilling your substrate. Oven pasteurization in disposable turkey pans with foil on top is what was recommended to me, by a mushroom farmer who is not here on 420magazine. Your recipe seems to be a good one though.

I am very leary about bucket method. as the water cools, it pulls a vacuum on the closed bucket, and can break the bucket, contaminating and spilling your substrate. Oven pasteurization in disposable turkey pans with foil on top is what was recommended to me, by a mushroom farmer who is not here on 420magazine. Your recipe seems to be a good one though.
I will have to look into that method. So many different ways people do things. Sometimes my head spins. LOL

Strait up coir will work from what I have read. I have heard of people using coffee grinds in the substrate as well. I never used coffee grinds in my substrate. I use the recipe Lady Cannafan just described.

Yes you are correct. The 5 gallon bucket looks like you put it in a trash compactor when the substrate cools. I have not had one break though and they come into shape with a little finessing. One other thing I do......i wrap the bucket in blankets as insulation so it stays hotter longer.

Your method in the oven sounds good. What temp and duration are you cooking your substrate in the oven?

Yes you are correct. The 5 gallon bucket looks like you put it in a trash compactor when the substrate cools. I have not had one break though and they come into shape with a little finessing. One other thing I do......i wrap the bucket in blankets as insulation so it stays hotter longer.

Your method in the oven sounds good. What temp and duration are you cooking your substrate in the oven?
I preheated my oven to 170degF, and "cooked" my substrate at them temperature for 2 hours. It took about 3 hours for the substrate to cool to room temp afterwards. Important to keep it covered this whole time.

Strait up coir will work from what I have read. I have heard of people using coffee grinds in the substrate as well. I never used coffee grinds in my substrate. I use the recipe Lady Cannafan just described.
coffee grounds add nitrogen to the mostly inert coir.

Back
Top Bottom