Becca's B+, Blue Meanie, Purple Mystic From Spore Genetics & Blue Yeti LC Fun Run

After 2 difficult months away I discovered Feb. 10 that I had won the December Diary contest! Thank you everyone who voted for me! On February 7, 74 days (!!!) after inoculation, I resolved to check the SAB expecting the worst. I had left it covered with towels, both vents closed for weeks. The 3 rice bags and All-In-One were now way overdue for smooshing and mixing.
The rice bags were hard like wood blocks, while the AIO looked stalled, it's grain only partially covered with mycelium. Encouraged by finding them still alive, I decided on spawn-to-bulk for the rice bags. In retrospect, these rice blocks could be soaked overnight and rolled in vermiculite ala PF Tek, and that will make an interesting experiment in the future.
I found unknown contamination in bag 1, removed it and threw it out. Bags 2 & 5 were broken up (very difficult after this long) and mixed with Midwest Grow Kits casing mix in a ratio of 1:2 and put in small 64oz tubs to incubate. Each tub was tamped down lightly and topped with a thin layer of casing mix. By Feb 17 contamination in tub 2 attacked and it was removed and destroyed. Nearest I can tell is it was Penicillium or Trichoderma.
Same day I cut the top off the AIO to let it breath. I also installed Midwest Grow Kit's Hydrating Bubbler into the SAB and set it up for (4) 1-3/4 hour ON time periods every day.
I think the reason the AIO stalled was because I hadn't removed the tape to expose the filter patch & allow FAE. It is now a 6 inch block of white mycelium but hasn't pinned yet. It looks very close.
The Purple Mystic tub 5 started to pin late Monday, Feb 19, and it has been amazing watching them develop. It looks like the first veil will break tomorrow or Saturday.

20240207_160646r.jpg
20240207_160925r.jpg
20240216_132550r.jpg

20240221_151436r.jpg
20240222_104158r.jpg

20240222_115445r.jpg

Thanks, @Lady Cannafan They sure didn't wait overnight! OMG, awoke to find they all matured and began sporulating so I poured a cup of Coffee, loaded a bowl of Forbidden Fruit and got to work. Had mushrooms in my omelet so I'm one fried egg and, yea, these are the "real" thing...
20240223_105425r.jpg

After my "snack", I prepared them for the temperature-process controlled toaster oven to dry at 140F for 4 hours and 1 hour (almost) at 150F. This DIY jig precisely controls temperature to within a degree of the target. After the oven they are going in a tub with some large bags of silica gel to complete desiccation.
20240223_111303r.jpg

I was really amazed to see how much the cake shrank with this first flush and figured it had used something like 250 or 300CC of water, so I poured 300CC of tap water into the tub and left the cake to soak. Tomorrow I'll drain off any standing water if there is any left.
No sign of pins yet in the Big Block of Blue Yeti... it's being elusive as Yetis are known to be, lol! 🍄

Looks great! Sorry to hear about the contam bags
Thanks, @AscendedMasterKief , I was surprised I didn't lose them all after leaving it go so long!
Wow, great fruits!
It blew me away the way they matured overnight, and only 3 days from pin to sporulation. Fascinating!

I drained the water from the tub a little while ago. It didn't absorb much like I expected, but I did get 300mL of what I'll call "shroom cake tea" and watered my cacti with it. Here's some pics of the cake post plucking and ready to start round 2(?).
20240224_121748r.jpg
20240224_121846r.jpg
20240224_121916r.jpg

Thanks, @Lady Cannafan They sure didn't wait overnight! OMG, awoke to find they all matured and began sporulating so I poured a cup of Coffee, loaded a bowl of Forbidden Fruit and got to work. Had mushrooms in my omelet so I'm one fried egg and, yea, these are the "real" thing...
20240223_105425r.jpg

After my "snack", I prepared them for the temperature-process controlled toaster oven to dry at 140F for 4 hours and 1 hour (almost) at 150F. This DIY jig precisely controls temperature to within a degree of the target. After the oven they are going in a tub with some large bags of silica gel to complete desiccation.
20240223_111303r.jpg

I was really amazed to see how much the cake shrank with this first flush and figured it had used something like 250 or 300CC of water, so I poured 300CC of tap water into the tub and left the cake to soak. Tomorrow I'll drain off any standing water if there is any left.
No sign of pins yet in the Big Block of Blue Yeti... it's being elusive as Yetis are known to be, lol! 🍄
Congratulations on your harvest

Congratulations on your harvest
Thanks @Absorber I think I would have gotten more if I had cased them on-time.

Yesterday I put one of the small dried mushroom caps under the microscope and got a few photos of the gill structures. More magnification would be useful but this is as close as it gets with this little USB scope.
240224171457595r.jpg
240224171618315r.jpg

Thanks @Absorber I think I would have gotten more if I had cased them on-time.

Yesterday I put one of the small dried mushroom caps under the microscope and got a few photos of the gill structures. More magnification would be useful but this is as close as it gets with this little USB scope.
240224171457595r.jpg
240224171618315r.jpg
I was wondering how many grams you ate and what you thought about them? I grew some Purple Mystic’s myself and they rocked my world 🌍. Potent little devils. CL🍀

I had 5 or 6 of the smaller ones, @CaptainLucky fresh picked right out of the tub. Yesterday I weighed a dried one that looked to be of similar size and it was 118mg, so something like 0.6 to 0.7 gram dry, 6 or 7 grams fresh. These are really potent, too. No hallucinations but time dilation was extreme, colors got really intense, got too high to do anything but sit for about 3 hours, got laughies a few times, then it tapered off slowly. I still felt some effects Saturday and did Sunday, too, like perspective shift or something.

I had 5 or 6 of the smaller ones, @CaptainLucky fresh picked right out of the tub. Yesterday I weighed a dried one that looked to be of similar size and it was 118mg, so something like 0.6 to 0.7 gram dry, 6 or 7 grams fresh. These are really potent, too. No hallucinations but time dilation was extreme, colors got really intense, got too high to do anything but sit for about 3 hours, got laughies a few times, then it tapered off slowly. I still felt some effects Saturday and did Sunday, too, like perspective shift or something.
I got body rush’s that came in waves, colors were intense. Very spiritual trip to the first time. 5-6 grams dried was a good dose. CL🍀

Thanks @Tokin Roll ! Only one tub made it to fruiting and produced a meager 9.5 dry grams first flush after leaving the whole project on hold, Tok. The cake isn't doing anything now, still looks stalled, shrunken, and I'm thinking of trying @Lady Cannafan 's trick of breaking it up and adding water. Now that I have the yield weight I know it used & needs at least 100mL aqua added. Maybe a new home in a shoebox, add a bit more casing mix, too and a new top layer of casing just to see if I can get some more fruits.
That will have to wait, though. The refrigerator in my apartment crapped out last night and I'm still drained from dealing with that. On a happier note, they brought a brand, new fridge that should be more economical to run.
No pins on the Blue Yeti AIO and I'm wondering if maybe it needs lower temps to fruit.

OMG, Blue Yeti is in da house! Checked this morning to find pins forming around the sides of the AIO. In retrospect it would have been way better to transfer to a shoebox when I cut the bag open, and put casing mix over it. I'm not sure what to expect. Yetis are funny looking, sort of short & pudgy, but I have no clue what the blue yetis look like. I guess I'll find out.
20240301_135445r.jpg

I haven't touched the Purple Mystic tub yet. Good thing because it looks like the second flush is ramping up!
20240301_135505r.jpg

Glad I found this! Looking great. I miss my mushy days. I have started gathering the stuff needed to get my grow going again. I love the process you have taken. Not using normal teks but whatever you seem to have on hand.
Even Ben Rice Bags, sends wake up calls to me and prob a lot of people, We do not need to spend tons of cash to have great results :D
Eager to see more!

Back
Top Bottom