Fine dry vermiculite8 cups
Gypsum1 cup
Boiling Water16 cups

One large pot
One large bucket with cover
Measuring cups
Stirrer or spoon

2. Boil the water in the large pot

When all ingredients and equipment are prepared, add the water to the large pot and bring it to a boil. Lower the temperature to 165°F (74°C) which is the ideal temperature for pasteurization.

3. Add ingredients to the bucket

Collect the brick of coco coir and the vermiculite and add them to the bucket. Add gypsum at this stage so it will also be pasteurized. Pour the recently boiled water into the bucket.

4. Mix the ingredients with water thoroughly

There are three different methods to mix the coco coir and vermiculite substrate mixture thoroughly. It will require a strong spoon or stirrer to evenly distribute the vermiculite to the coco coir properly. It will require a strong spoon or stirrer to evenly distribute the vermiculite to the coco coir properly.

Mixing is an important process as breaking up the substrate into pieces produces more surface area for the mycelium to colonize, thus speeding up colonization.

1. Mix the substrate before closing the bucket

When you add the boiling water to the bucket with coco coir, break it up with a spoon until no lumps or dry spots are visible. Add the vermiculite and gypsum at the same time and mix the ingredients well. Close the lid and leave the mixture at room temperature for at least 6 hours to cool down before moving on to inoculation.

2. Mix the substrate after an hour

When you add the boiling water to the bucket with all the other ingredients, close the lid. After an hour passes, open the lid and stir the mixture well to blend all the ingredients. After mixing, close the lid again and let the mixture cool down for at least 6 hours.

3. Mix the substrate after it has cooled down

This method works best if you don’t like to deal with hot mixtures. When you poured the water into the bucket with coco coir, vermiculite, and gypsum, close the bucket cover.

TR

edit: I already have all the supplies.

That sounds good......Let the water boil long enough to help get rid of any chlorine if it's city water.

PH is another consideration.......mine is around 8 so I lower it to about 6.8 or 7. I forget what is optimum for shrooms are but I think 8 is too high.

I also wrap my 5 gallon bucket in a quilt to help insulate it so it stays warm for a longer period of time.

Sounds like you have done this before!

Started snowing here about 6am this morning. Hell we are practically neighbors....Im in jerzy.

I get the coir in bricks.....and yes it breaks up easily. I always add coir to a brick cause it always falls short of 650 grams. Also learn how to test for field capacity. Its very important!

I have 8 quart jars of spawn ready to go.....I have been too busy to get my tubs going. I have been busy with 2 girls in mid to late flower and 5 clones I just up potted to 1 gallon pots. One of these days I will start a shroom journal.
Stay warm and have a great weekend.

Good morning @Ramblinrose1965

I have 8 quart jars of spawn ready to go.....I have been too busy to get my tubs going. I have been busy with 2 girls in mid to late flower and 5 clones I just up potted to 1 gallon pots. One of these days I will start a shroom journal.
Stay warm and have a great weekend.
That's a lot of spawn; what do you do with all the mushrooms? I know it's a dumb question.
Which spores did you colonize?

TR

I have more than I can choke down by myself. I gave them out for Christmas stocking stuffers. 🧑‍🎄

I started with a single Golden Teacher spore print. Transfered the spores to agar and from the agar to the grain jars.Once I get the grain spawn jars going, I just do a simple grain to grain transfer in my still air box. Do you have a SAB? if you don't I highly recommend one. Its a game changer. I have not had any contaminates in my jars in a very long time using the SAB.

A little update

I got a couple quick images of what's happing with my grain jar.

Tidal Wave grain jar has another day or two before it is transferred to a substrate.

The Pan Cyan grain jar is starting to come to life with mycelium growth.

Here are todays images.
Tidal Wave

Pan Cyan

That's all folk's.

Be safe and grow well my friends,
Tok..

Back
Top Bottom