Tok's First Mushroom Diary - Medical First/Recreation

Well here we go. @Ramblinrose1965 are you ready for this.

MacGyver took over my stuff.
Just kidding, but fair waring you may need high boot for this up date.

Okay, I have enough growth in the Tidal Wave grain jar that I decided to make a batch of substrate for the next step.
I only make a half batch of substrate, using 1/2 brick of coco weight was 331grams after some trimming and placed in a 5-gallon bucket. I add 4 cup of vermiculite (medium grade) on top of that. Pretty normal so far, but here is where the twist comes in. I fail to notice when I bought the gypsum it was fast acting and granulated. So, I did not want to use it.

This is is where it starts to get deep. for gypsum I cut off a square piece of drywall. Yes, I said drywall. Drywall is basically gypsum with paper holding it together. So from there I broke it up into smaller pieces. I crushed it until it was power and start picking out the paper and continued to pulverize it. I ended up with more than the half cup I needed, so I just scooped the fine power and add it to the mix. Once I had everything in the bucket I boiled 8 cups of distilled water and add it to the bucket, seal it, wrapped it and now I wait.

Here are some images I was able to take by myself.

Now I wait.

TR

Well here we go.

MacGyver took over my stuff.
Just kidding, but fair waring you may need high boot for this up date.

Okay, I have enough growth in the Tidal Wave grain jar that I decided to make a batch of substrate for the next step.
I only make a half batch of substrate, using 1/2 brick of coco weight was 331grams after some trimming and placed in a 5-gallon bucket. I add 4 cup of vermiculite (medium grade) on top of that. Pretty normal so far, but here is where the twist comes in. I fail to notice when I bought the gypsum it was fast acting and granulated. So, I did not want to use it.

This is is where it starts to get deep. for gypsum I cut off a square piece of drywall. Yes, I said drywall. Drywall is basically gypsum with paper holding it together. So from there I broke it up into smaller pieces. I crushed it until it was power and start picking out the paper and continued to pulverize it. I ended up with more than the half cup I needed, so I just scooped the fine power and add it to the mix. Once I had everything in the bucket I boiled 8 cups of distilled water and add it to the bucket, seal it, wrapped it and now I wait.

Here are some images I was able to take by myself.

Now I wait.

TR
Its all foreign to me :popcorn:
Good luck with it all

Thanks for stopping by @Absorber and @Ramblinrose1965

When I realized I had the wrong gypsum I had to improvise.
Drywall is basically formed gypsum.

My guess is tomorrow I will fill the shoebox with about 3 inches of substrate mix with the Tidal Wave mycelium and put a thin layer of casing on top.
A casing layer is a good idea. Just enough to cover any exposed grain from the subsrate/ grain mix. Also use a black trash bag or clear trash bag as a liner for the tub. Cuts down on side pins .

Try and keep the surface of the substrate nice and even/ level when you gently smooosh the edges of the substrate around the tub.

Good luck McGiver

My guess is tomorrow I will fill the shoebox with about 3 inches of substrate mix with the Tidal Wave mycelium and put a thin layer of casing on top.
Well, that is good thinking! Makes me want to keep a few pieces of all the drywall I ripped out last year that is still waiting to be hauled away.

Just make sure no grains are exposed

Back again.

Thank you for stopping by @Ramblinrose1965 @Lady Cannafan @CaptainLucky and @Scottay

Thank you @Ramblinrose1965 and @Scottay for your guidance's and communication on this journey.

@Lady Cannafan If the drywall/gypsum hack works well in the substrate; this may turn into my go to for gypsum. It is a hell of a lot cheaper and I have about a 1/2 of sheet.

Thank you for your kind words @CaptainLucky

@Scottay I when down and checked again to make sure.

I made the shoebox liner and mixed equal parts of spawn and substrate. Filled the box about 3 inches deep. Then I place about a 1/4 casing layer on top using just the substrate.

Here are some image to catch you up.

That's all folk's.

Stay safe and grow well my friends,
Tok..

Back again.

Thank you for stopping by @Ramblinrose1965 @Lady Cannafan @CaptainLucky and @Scottay

Thank you @Ramblinrose1965 and @Scottay for your guidance's and communication on this journey.

@Lady Cannafan If the drywall/gypsum hack works well in the substrate; this may turn into my go to for gypsum. It is a hell of a lot cheaper and I have about a 1/2 of sheet.

I made the shoebox liner and mixed equal parts of spawn and substrate. Filled the box about 3 inches deep. Then I place about a 1/4 casing layer on top using just the substrate.

That's all folk's.

Tok..
Lookin great!

Hey @Tokin Roll , I just caught up with your work, just a heads up, I use grey lids on my 12qt tubs and it's fine, plenty of light gets in through the sides. I noticed you already cut the lid, ahhhwell... you get to the finish line, you won't be thinking about that lid fungus friend. Also, Coco coir is fine on its own, I prefer Verm added for moisture retention and aeration but it's optional. Same with gypsum, I've used it, and I haven't... or forgot to put it in, whatever the case, it's all good. Coco Coir is the best substrate hands down for anyone (new or seasoned), I prefer horse manure subs, but I get it for free, so it be what it be. Back on track here, lately I've been using coco and it's so forgiving (it's what I started with). You can even hydrate it from the tap and it's good to go. Real talk, I prefer to get the water to around 170 degrees give or take... on the stove (cooked coco colonizes better, but straight from (I used hot, but it doesn't matter) tap DOES work), boiling is overkill, but it doesn't matter either way, you don't have to sterilize or pasteurize coir, it's great stuff and cheap. You can let it cook longer, or cool it down faster, it's all preference at that point. I've used Coco over two weeks after hydrating and was fine, it's the longest I've went tho', can't speak on going further. I use the weight of the coco brick multiplied by 5, this will give you your water amount. I use 1000g blocks usually, but I've used plenty of 650g (3250ml or almost 3.5quarts) blocks for smaller projects. If you add two quarts of verm, I usually add another pint or so, I wouldn't go a quart of water thats for sure. You will be ringing it out no doubt, which is another plus with coco, squeezing out the excess moisture can and has been done over and over.

Grain jar looking gorgeous, from what I could tell... looks clean from here. LETS GO!!

Yeti tub I just finished up. Coco/Verm, oops forgot the gypsum, no worries... not mandatory AT ALL. Happy New Year folks, I was hoping to get established, but life is in the way right now and other commitments needs my attention. All good, we will REV this baby up like my old big block 440 charger I used to have. I feel like you are close to the finish line, Good Vibes YUR way!!

P1180262.JPG

Back again.

That's all folk's.

Tok..
Hey there homeskillet!! Looking like you're moving on up like George and Weezy!! Everyone has their own way of doin stuff. What works for me and my environment may not work for you and your environment. But within certain parameters once dialed in you'll be up to your ears in Mushies!! Mwahahaha! Happy Monday!! 😎✌️

Let's see one day later in the land of shrooms.

Things are definitely picking up in the mushroom bin.

The grain jar with Pan Cyan has come to life, maybe about 10 to 15 percent of mycelium growth. Not only was I a little surprised about this, but the Tidal Wave shoebox has decided it wants to move to overdrive. After one day I already have mycelium growth. By Friday she may be ready for fruiting.

Here are today images.

That's all folk's.

Tok..

The picture I posted is from a friend ( gifted spore swab) and it's Yeti (known to be strong), it's contam resistant, and isn't as finicky as other's I've grown in the past. It was also a pretty fast colonizer for a TaT variation, 16 days on Rye (and I tend to fill my quarts more than most). Long story short, swab to Agar/T-1 to Rye. I haven't had the pleasure yet, but I have grown APE as well many times, they are potent, and I wouldn't go above 2g dry unless you understand the consequences (1.5- half 8 is perfect for most). :rofl:

The picture I posted is from a friend ( gifted spore swab) and it's Yeti (known to be strong), it's contam resistant, and isn't as finicky as other's I've grown in the past. It was also a pretty fast colonizer for a TaT variation, 16 days on Rye (and I tend to fill my quarts more than most). Long story short, swab to Agar/T-1 to Rye. I haven't had the pleasure yet, but I have grown APE as well many times, they are potent, and I wouldn't go above 2g dry unless you understand the consequences (1.5- half 8 is perfect for most). :rofl:
The ape strains are pretty powerful. 😎✌️

Back
Top Bottom