Just built new Med Grow Room, would like some feedback please.

Honz

Hey folks I like some feedback on the grow room I just built. First I want to say Im trying to do everything legal. I'm in NV and my wife & I just received our med card approval letters. Will be going to DMV to get our cards next week. I will be growing strains that are not available in local dispensaries.

I have built a room in my garage as follows:
-outside dimensions are 13x9 with 8' ceiling. Three new 2x4 stud walls insulated with R13, the fourth side is up against the exterior sheetrock wall of the garage. Outside of room is sheathed with 1/2" plywood. Inside is sheathed with 3/4" mylar faced styrofoam. The 24" door is 6" away from the corner and opens into the main room which is slightly larger than 8x8. Walk straight across and another door opens into the clone room approx 3' x 8.25'.
The exterior wall of the garage (grow room) is 2x4, sheetrock inside, 1" styro/1" stucco outside with no insulation. To combat the lack of insulation, I laid three 2x4s flat horizontally, one at the top & bottom, one in the middle. The space inbetween was filled with fiberglass insulation that I peeled apart from R13. Covering all of that is 1.5" thick mylar faced styrofoam. I'm guessing that the R value on this wall should now be close to R20. Summers here in LV are hot a mofo.

There are four 6" air cooled 1000W HPS lights in the main room. I have all four lights ducted together and exhausted outside. The intake on the first light is ducted to a carbon filter hanging 6" from the ceiling. I have another 6" inline fan with the intake ducted to another carbon filter. This second 6" and filter also hangs from the ceiling on the other side of the room just to scrub the air for odor. The digital ballasts are mounted on the exterior wall. They have three settings of 50/75/100%. Cooling comes from an Ideal 12000 BTU Mini Split.

The clone room has two 8 lamp T5HO fixtures hanging from the ceiling. I installed a 4" inline fan with carbon filter hanging from the ceiling to help pull the heat from those fluorescents that get quite warm. My RO system and barrell is also in that room.

I know I need to get the room right before introducing plants. After firing everything up (lights at 1000W) with the minisplit set at 75, I noticed that the clone room was running around 90F. The main room was running around 80-82F. I lowered the temp on the mini split to 72 and that helped. Main room was now at 75-77, clone room at 80-82. I decided to try and pull in some of the cooler air from the main room into the clone room by using a stud bay in the partion wall as a plenum. I cut a hole in the styro at the top of the wall in the main room, then an equal 16"x 10" hole at the bottom of the wall in the clone room. Cool air will "fall" down the wall right? It does a little but not enough to make me happy so I ordered an in-wall fan that I will retro fit into one of the grilles. Still waiting for the fan.

I also have two 16" oscillating fans in the main room. I am about to get clones going and with the onset of summer, I am conerned that the mini split will not be enough. After using a light calculator, I think I may be able to run my lights at only 75%. This would help greatly but I dont want to short change myself on production.

Should I get another 6" fan and pull the air for the lights from the outside? Summer is coming so my ambient exterior temp is going to jump from the 75-80 it is now up to 100+

Thoughts welcome.

Honz.

Back
Top Bottom