Did I mess up already?

Vesna

Hey guys, so I'm in desperate need of some help. This is my first grow and maybe I'm overthinking it but I'm really worried I might mess up the only seeds and soil I have. So instead of germinating in a solo cup or paper towel, etc. I was stupid and planted directly into my 3 gallon Smart Pots. only a half inch deep lightly covered with soil. My pots are set up with Kind soil on the bottom and promix HP on top.

My question is, how much water do I give the seeds? I moistened before planting and added about a cup later on that same night about 8 hours later. It seems to me the soil is drying out very quickly but as I'm new I still have no concept of how much too little/much actually is. I really don't want my substrate to dry out as I was told that will kill my seeds and too much water would accomplish the same thing. So is slightly damp soil what I'm looking for? or more moist? And how much water is too much for my seed?

Sorry for overthinking I'm just really nervous and I should have chosen a germination method that wouldn't have been so wasteful if I failed. Because as it is, if this germ fails I have to buy more seeds and kind soil which would probably run me `$100 any help is appreciated. Temp is 82, humidity 52%

Cheers,
Kate

just keep the soil moist not wet and hope for the best but normally that's what's nature does:cheesygrinsmiley: , and why should you buy new soil if you havent done anything with it, i suggest that you read some journals and read, google.....
your at the right place here to learn 4 sure:cheer:
chill kate vesna:tokin:

You could take a small plastic water bottle and poke some holes in the cap and that will give a sprinkles of water like rain. That way it spreads out and not dumped in to disturb the seed. OR get a watering can at the store, lol.

Haha that's exactly what I just did! Poked 4 small holes in a water bottle and moistened it. I'm just overthinking guys Veinz brought me back down to earth lol. My pots feel heavy, my tent is at 82 degrees, I think I'm gonna be just fine. First time and all, can't help but worrying :thanks:

Are you going to start a grow journal? I would like to see how the soil you are using does.
812X3lZ1jkL_SL1500_.jpg

Sure I can do that. I'll post as soon as the seedlings pop through! I've never used the soil (obviously lol) but I have a friend who swears by it. Cheers

We have lift off! Little buddy sprouted up just an hour ago :) but holy fuck am I never germinating straight into my 3 gallon pots again. So much work to keep my moisture and heat in check in those big ass pots. I'm so relieved right now I have been worrying, bummed out that my seeds weren't gonna germ because I fucked em up

Relax... They won't be drying out that fast or as fast as you think.. Your not growing this plant, it is.. If you've watered the soil, it won't need watering for 5-6 days.. Whats your grow space size, temps & humidity? Why the stress of keeping heat in pots? Wouldn't have a clue what mine is, never been checked. Don't stress and the plant will thank you...best of luck Kate....

Temps and humidity are good...

Looks like your on the right track now. I had a problem a couple days ago 5 feminized white widow seeds started all popped within 18 hours, I have them in 1" peat pellet trays without the pellet and no humidity dome, Only a little bit of soil I had laying and mostly small gravel stones from the driveway, cleaned of coarse. I use this as it's easy to remove the seedling and shake off the little bit of soil and then put straight into DWC. For the water straight tap water for seeds (ph for my tap water is about 8) they just need the moisture and heat to crack. My problem was the top half was bone dry and 2 seedling stems shrivelled turned brown and fell over on day 2 still had shell on them..... I thought 2 dead shitty but let's try something, I grab the tweezers grabbed each by the shell and removed them gently not to break the root and put between wet paper towel, within 5 hours both looked like new fresh healthy root stem and hat still on, replanted gently in same 1" tray both look as good or better then the other 3. Anyway my fix to the problem a few drops of tap water around the stem and put the dome on.......now humidity at 79% temp. 73 degrees. By week 3 they will go into DWC bubbler with some blueberry clones which will be ph to 5.7 and add 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutes for a week or 2 then full strength after that with Epson salts. As for lighting 2-2 foot 20 watt flouresents about 8 inches from dome and for the veg 1000w dimmable vented hoods

Hey Vesna, glad to see everything worked out for you ! When did you originally plant them into the soil? I soaked my seeds first on January 6th and put them in soil on the 8th.. I still don't have a sprout from all 5 ! One successfully germinated and I thought that one would have grown. But nope... Not yet.. I will be giving up on those ones as of Friday if nothing happens.. I'm so nervous and I got 5more and germinated those ones ! Only 1 cracked I'm waiting to a few more hours to see what happens then I'm planting directly into my promix bx.. "Fingers crossed"

Hey Vesna, glad to see everything worked out for you ! When did you originally plant them into the soil? I soaked my seeds first on January 6th and put them in soil on the 8th.. I still don't have a sprout from all 5 ! One successfully germinated and I thought that one would have grown. But nope... Not yet.. I will be giving up on those ones as of Friday if nothing happens.. I'm so nervous and I got 5more and germinated those ones ! Only 1 cracked I'm waiting to a few more hours to see what happens then I'm planting directly into my promix bx.. "Fingers crossed"

How are you germinating? put seed into shot glass with water, wait for it to crack open, 24-48 hours, put that into wet paper towel for couple days, plant....

I put it in a glass of water for 24hours, then put them on paper towel for 24 hours. One had a small tap root and the other 4 didn't even crack but I put them all in soil anyways.

You can wait up to a week with the paper towel, until it cracks and starts growing a tap. It just takes the guess work and hope out of it, you know your planting a viable seed...

:thumb: Congrat's on the successful start, and :welcome: to :420:

In bigger pots like that, don't be surprised if they look like they are staying small for quite a while. The seed's first order of business is to make roots. They are going to look for the bottom of the pot. In your case, they have their work cut out for them. They'll get there. Once they do, they will hit turbo mode.

Now is the time to figure out the proper watering so they grow that big, fine rootball = big buds. When very young, keep them moist, but once they can fend for themselves, let them dry out before watering. The roots look for moisture and grow in the process.

Back
Top Bottom