How to water during germination

fatbuds420

hello, so i've had so far 100% germination rate, sadly last week i killed my first 2 seeds.

how should i water after putting em from paper towel to solo cup? the soil gets dry on top almost immediately. and i'm scared there is enough/too much water

while the plants are just starting out, they can actually swim around in the soil when you water, so you have to be very careful until those first tap roots get down to the bottom and "establish" the plant in that container. While this is happening during the first 4 or 5 days, I use a sprayer, and twice a day I spray the soil with what I guess is enough water to go about 4 or 5 inches deep, but only in a circle about 3x the diameter of the plant. A normal plant in 4 days or so will be large enough that that circle includes the entire surface of the cup, and then it is time to slowly water the entire cup to saturation, or to runoff. Once you have done that, then it is important to let the plant use up all of that water before watering with that much water again, but while the plant is gaining strength, it is ok to spray the surface again after about 3 days, again with just enough to soak down 3 or 4 inches. Once the cup becomes so light that you can not tell there is any water weight in it (4-5 days) only then is it time to water fully again.

while the plants are just starting out, they can actually swim around in the soil when you water, so you have to be very careful until those first tap roots get down to the bottom and "establish" the plant in that container. While this is happening during the first 4 or 5 days, I use a sprayer, and twice a day I spray the soil with what I guess is enough water to go about 4 or 5 inches deep, but only in a circle about 3x the diameter of the plant. A normal plant in 4 days or so will be large enough that that circle includes the entire surface of the cup, and then it is time to slowly water the entire cup to saturation, or to runoff. Once you have done that, then it is important to let the plant use up all of that water before watering with that much water again, but while the plant is gaining strength, it is ok to spray the surface again after about 3 days, again with just enough to soak down 3 or 4 inches. Once the cup becomes so light that you can not tell there is any water weight in it (4-5 days) only then is it time to water fully again.
i water with a spray, think is, i can't tell if it's just the very top dry, and it's wet at the bottom. also i had to turn all fans off cause soil was drying too fast

turn the fans back on... they are one of the best things you can give your plant. Only the surface of the soil dries out because of the fan, and it doesn't count... what is important is the very bottom of that container.
ok but how much should i spray? i don't have an eye for it

Too damp will cause you more grief faster than not quite damp enough, as until the roots get going the tap root can rot if too damp. Personally I do like 4 or 5 sprays depending on the temps, sometimes daily sometimes every other until they a week or two old and you can water more normal.

Too damp will cause you more grief faster than not quite damp enough, as until the roots get going the tap root can rot if too damp. Personally I do like 4 or 5 sprays depending on the temps, sometimes daily sometimes every other until they a week or two old and you can water more normal.
i see, it's just hard to tell because it hasn't sprouted yet, when it sprouts it's easy to tell if it doesn't have enough because it looks weak

I concur with using a sprayer. I also have a humidity dome I put over top of each plant. My understanding is roots have not yet developed sufficiently and plants (seedlings) take up water through their leaves. If you go to a grocery store or deli you should be able to ask for the used containers.
20191109_171657[1].jpg

i see, it's just hard to tell because it hasn't sprouted yet, when it sprouts it's easy to tell if it doesn't have enough because it looks weak

They don't need a ton if they haven't sprouted yet. Take an empty cup and fill it with your medium to where the others are filled, and hand compare the weights (or you could even weigh them) if different by a noticeable amount it doesn't need any water yet.

Back
Top Bottom