DIY Cooler Reservoir

jrsaces

DIY Cooler Reservoir

This is so simple to make and works incredibly keeping reservoir temperatures down. Depending on the size and quality of cooler that you use, this build could cost you as little as $15 or just pennies if you already have a cooler.

Step 1: Pick up a cooler preferably with a removable lid (as opposed to the hinged only type).

Step 2: Drill 1/4" holes in the base of your cooler near the very top to feed your air lines. As you can see I have drilled a total of 4 holes, 2 on each side to fit my needs.

100_2108.jpg

After the 1/4" tubing is fed through the holes, you can use silicone caulking or hot glue to seal the holes and hold the hoses in place. I would have loved to use rubber grommets here, but unfortunately the cooler walls are just too thick to allow it.

100_2110.jpg
100_2109.jpg

Note: Drilling the holes in the base of the cooler will allow you to totally remove the top (where your plants will be) when you need to change the solution.

Step 3: Take the lid of the cooler and cut holes that will allow you to drop your net pots in. You want to make them slightly smaller than the size of your net pot so they don't fall all the way through. You just want the lip of the pot to sit on top.

For example: I am using 5" net pots, so I cut my holes about 4 7/8" in diameter so they don't fall through. Your pots could be different though, so it's best to measure just to make sure.

You will notice when you cut through the lid of the cooler that there is two layers. My cooler had about a 2" gap between layers that was just filled with air to help insulate the cooler. Make sure you cut though both layers and all the way through!

An orbital saw such as this will make cutting the holes a breeze.

100_2112.jpg

Now we have to fill that gap between the two layers of the lid. For that I used this stuff (Better to use the can that is marked "Big Gap Filler").

rsz_1100_2120.jpg

When it dries you can just shave the excess that has oozed out so the hole is back to original size. Next I used foil tape just to cover and somewhat waterproof the gap I just filled.

Step 4: Although I doubt the lid of my cooler will allow light through (considering the two plastic layers and now the added foam), I decided to layer the top with a sheet of lightproof black and white poly film just to make sure.

I cut the film a bit larger that the lid so it would hang over every side by about 6" or so. This will ensure that the film covers the joint between the lid and the bottom of the cooler when it is whole again. I used a spray adhesive to glue the poly film to the lid, but just about anything could be used here.

100_2107.jpg

Now just cut out the poly film that is covering your holes. and drop your net pots in. They should fit snug. A little foil tape to seal the lip of the net pots to the lid and voila, you should be done........man I love that foil tape!!!

rsz_100_2106.jpg

Placing exactly 10 gallons of water in my cooler will bring the water level to about 2" below the bottom of my 5" net pots. Perfect! The higher volume of water along with the cooler insulation proved to be the key for me. This build helped me keep my solution temps at around 65 degrees. They were at around 75 degrees before. Big difference!

I hope I can help some of you out with this.........I've gotten so much help here, I would love to give some back. Thanks all and.....Good Luck!

No, thank you sir.

You taking your time to help a novice grower like myself has made me want to push through when things were not going so well.

If it weren't for guys like you and MostlyCrazy (just to name a couple), I would have quit a long time ago.

Instead, I get some great advice (and rather quickly) which I can use to correct my mistake and learn from it.

This cooler idea not only helped me, but hopefully it will help many others also. As far as I'm concerned, that's really what it's all about.

Thanks again guys, and keep on doin' what you do.

10 degrees!

My water will start at ~59deg when I do a res change.

When I was using the 5 gallon buckets, the temps would rise to 75deg within hours. Even with me adding ice cubes (which would help a little for a couple of hours) I could not get the temps under 70 for any extended period of time.

Now that I have switched to this cooler I will start at 59deg and 4 days later I'm at 63-64deg. This is without adding any ice!

So while the temperature in your cooler will still rise, It will be at an extremely reduced rate. Theoretically if it takes ~7 days to go from 59deg to 70deg, at that point I should be changing my res anyway (If I were doing the right thing).

Even if you had to add some ice half way through your res change to stop the temp increase, I'm going to assume it would only be 1 time.

To all of you struggling to keep your res temps down, I'm sure adding ice only 1 time a week would be a blessing. After all, I was adding ice 2-3 times a day to no avail.

This is all with ambient temps anywhere from the high 70's to high 80's range.

+reps this was a fantastic idea. Who would have thought to use a cooler instead of a regular rubbermaid oh I know who...jrsaces:bravo:

Good info deff plus reps. I will be using a 5gal bucket or a 11 liter tub for my grow and i have been trying to see if my temps will rise significantly. Good to know methods to prevent it or if it is an issue how to avoid it next time.

I see a definite shift in container choices happening soon!!! Some coolers might disappear from storage shed now! lol
Removable lid, light proof, insulated to the hilt!! And like SS said, drain fitting built in "usually" and plus good handles on most coolers for moving it around even full....won't buckle or twist. Awesome idea bro! + rep to ya!

Get one with a radio built in and play music to the plants (or while working in grow room for yourself)!!!

Yeah, it's really a great idea.

Drilling the holes for the cups is a little more complicated due to the hollow lids, but another plus is that coolers tend to seal very well, so leaks from aeroponic sprayers would not be an issue.

Guess I'll add another item in stores that will now be filtered through "wonder how well that would work in the grow room" lol

Yeah, it's really a great idea.
Guess I'll add another item in stores that will now be filtered through "wonder how well that would work in the grow room" lol

So true!

Side note: I just tried (unsuccessfully) to confiscate my brother's cooler that has been sitting forever, UNUSED, right when I start to wash it up he wants to now use it! Go figure. Damn lil' brother.

Adding a pump to the res could prove to be a little tricky depending on your cooler. Most cooler lids I have encountered have an outside lip that would make it difficult to carve the little "U shaped hole" (normally at the top of the 5 gal buckets) for the pump wire.

I chose to cut the power cord on my pump (close to the plug end, NOT the pump end) so I can slip the wire through a small hole in the cooler, and then just splice it back together when the wire's through.

You really don't need to be a rocket scientist to do this. Just be careful to wrap all wires well so they don't short, and keep that portion of the wire away from water.

Using liquid electrical tape to seal your connections would be ideal in this situation to make sure everything is sealed and well insulated.

Since the wire will never be ideally insulated at this cut section, you obviously don't want this part of it dangling in your reservoir. That is why you should make sure to cut your cord at the plug end.

If you don't cut the cord to feed it through a small hole, the hole you would have to make to get the plug head through would be tremendous. Way larger than I would feel comfortable making in my cooler.

Please don't try this if you are not absolutely sure of what you are doing. Having exposed or badly insulated wires around water can be very dangerous.....even fatal!

Or, if you want to maintain the integrity of the cord, make the little notch in one of the net cup holes and bring the cord up through that?

Personally, I'd rather cut the wire at the plug end and make the small hole wherever I want. Using heat shrink wrap after splicing the plug back on will seal things up pretty tight.

I was just making sure they was no pump in it. Just bubbles. My temps are at 75 and if this will drop it down, I will look into making one of these and using it for the rest of my flowering. stage
Today I believe I am going to pull the pump out of my res. and see if the temp goes down a few degrees.

I was just making sure they was no pump in it. Just bubbles. My temps are at 75 and if this will drop it down, I will look into making one of these and using it for the rest of my flowering. stage
Today I believe I am going to pull the pump out of my res. and see if the temp goes down a few degrees.

75 is too hot for the reservoir.

H6251686, yes 75 is hot, but if you live in a hot place it happens. My daily routine in the summer is pull a gallon or so of water put it in the freezer for a few hours and put it back. I don't need to do anything with the water since it was tank water. The roots still have plenty of water while some is missing and get a bit more air. They like it.

Another thing you can do is put frozen bottles in the freezer. The small water bottle work well. When they are frozen you pull a bunch of water out of the tank into a bucket cool it down by placing the closed frozen clean bottles in the bucket of removed water. Take the temp and when it is low enough put it back in tank. Replace your bottles back in the freezer for further use.

These are two simple ways to keep the temp down. I always do it right before lights out although I will have to do it this morning since I forgot last night. If need be you can do it more then once a day.

Good luck.

Thanks Alien and RM.
I pulled the pump this morning. I am going to update my journal. Please check it out. I have question I will ask over there. Since I pulled the pump, I am going out looking for a nice big cooler tonight. If this Cooler does what it says it will do, then I gotta figure my cooling problem will be solved. :)

Let me know about the cooler. If it is easy enough for me maybe I will do it. I will have to cool my water many times a day for the next week. Hot outside ug.

Back
Top Bottom