DIY filter and extraction

Swedge

What do you guys think?

I've used 6" pipe for the outside and 3" pipe on the inside the length is 10" I can make it longer if I need to but would this be big enough?

Obviously the outer and inner tube will have a hell of a lot of holes drilled into it

I've used foam padding to seal the ends and hold in the charcoal

I also have some wire mesh which I'll line the inside of the big black tube and I'll also line the outside of the inner white tube so I don't suck anything through

It's just a rough throw together for now

I'll just need to find a way to attach the fan if I use a 6" fan it should fit straight on with some ducting if not I'll need a reducer

What do you guys think?

image14951.jpg

image14952.jpg

image14953.jpg

And the mesh

image14954.jpg

I only have 2 plants ATM but will be doing 4/6 next time my tent is 1mx1mx2m

Heat isn't really an issue as it's cool in my loft and I'll be using cfl's and leds

how will the air pull through this? usually it is all screen,capped on one end

how big is your fan??inches?cfm?
im not sure you could drill enough holes,it will be hard on your fan

this is one that i made,its for a 6 inch fan,so it its 6 inch in the center and 8 inch on the outside.

filter115.JPG

filter27.JPG

The end with the the capped white part will be capped and the fan will be attached to that side via an adaptor and some ducting I'll be using a 20mm hole saw on the piping cutting most of it out bit not losing it's ridgity even though the mesh and charcoal should hold it together

If it's not big enough I can easily extend it it make another one that's longer

I have no ideals what fan at the moment which is why in asking what you guys recommend

well the cfm rating is usually the determining factor,you should decide that,based on your needs

on a 400cft per minute it is usually a 6 inch fan,and the fliter starts at 6x12-18-24 inch
you must make sure you dont choke off the air flow,it is very hard on fans,thats why most have an extra 2 inches on the outside
4 inch fan=4 inside 6 outside
6 inch fan=6 inside 8 outside
8 inch fan=8 inside 10 outside
10 inch fan =10 inside 12 outside

your on the right path,A little fine tuning and you will be there.If I had to choose based on your requierments,I would get the 6 inch 400 or so cubic feet per minute(cfm) AND a speed controller.these work way better if the fan is not run at max speed

thats the good thing about DIY,you can always keep trying until its right.my wife calls me a cheap bugger,but if I break a shovel,I just buy a handle.

Not sure what your wallet situation is,but DIY carbon filters are almost not worth it anymore.when I built mine they were still 300 bones,I saw a 6 x 18 online the other day for 72 bucks,
you will have 45 bucks,or so in activated carbon,plus your time

The only thing on the filter I'll need to pay for is the charcoal and maybe a fan if I can't get one from my work :)

My work had a huge engineers department which has a lot of spares lol

Back
Top Bottom