Does this grow technique exist or would it work?

Edward Scissorhash

the picture pretty much sums it all up.
i made it because i figured it would be easier to draw than explain.

im basing this idea off of the fact that plants have that rooting hormone in lower parts of the plant.. so if u buried some stem, it will grow new roots.. im guessing because if they sense darkness and moisture why not.

i know u dont want to plant multiple plants in 1 pot so their roots dont get tangled.
but u dont hear people talking about a single plant tangling its own roots. right?
so would this work?

2qwcsx51.jpg

Looks very similar to a method called Air Layering where you can trim a stem a certain way, wrap a ball of peat around it, wrap it in plastic, and the roots grow on the live plant, into the peat.

the only negative thing is it could shock the plant to death from the striping and the size of the plant because larger clones are harder to keep alive.

I am guessing it might work. But why would you want to do it? The number of stems is not the limiting factor on plant growth. In fact, there is a strong correlation between stem size and bud size. So smaller stems (which would be the result of your plan) will yield smaller buds. Your plan just changes the limiting factor to root size. You would need a massive pot, and what would it buy you? It would just take you back to light and root zone being the limiting factor. Cannabis can grow to 8 feet or even 12-14 feet from a single stem. The single stem is not the limiting factor.

Air pots and smart pots already solve the root circling problem by air pruning your roots giving better yields for the size of pot.

A plant develops it root system based on where the ground level is at development. A root system needs oxygen. Burying a plant lower than it's original planting depth can set back or even kill it by smothering the roots. All standard pot methodology has the plant being planted at, or slightly above the original depth for each transplant. If you look closely at the best of 420magazine growers you can often see just the top of a jiffy peat pot or a root riot cube above the surface level of their 7.5-10 gallon pots. This ensures that your developed roots don't have to fight to breathe. By the way the same principle applies to plants/trees no matter the size. Want to kill that 50 year old tree slowly over the next five years? Go put 12" of soil over the top of its root system, it will slowly kill off all the breathing roots of that giant tree.

I stunted one of my girls transplanting too deep when I first stared growing.

There is a type of rarely seen grow in which this would be advantageous. Picture growing a single sativa plant that is trained to grow entirely horizontal. Let's say your goal is to grow a 6 foot long plant with the main stem being only a foot or so above the container.

When the plant is about four foot long, you bury a stripped/scraped stem at the 3 foot mark in a separate container (soil or hydro - doesn't matter). This gives a second food source halfway up the plant and should increase growth rate significantly.

I have seen variations of this done successfully with tomatoes.

This absolutely does work with tomatoes and can also work with pot to a degree. In the days before irrigation was common in tomato production growers used to strip off the bottom leaves. They then would transplant much deeper than normal. The scrred areas where the leaves had been stripped would then callous and develope a deeper root system allowing them to survive drought without irrigation. I have done this with pot plants that I was going to let take care of themselves. Very remote grows requiring long hikes in and out with no handy water source. I have had tremendous surprise yields from doing just this. I wouldnt reccomend it as a matter of course but if you want to try a plant it and leave it grow I would do it again in a heartbeat!

works great, i have never done the whole multiple stems thing, but when i transplant i generally bury the main stock 1-2 inches lower than it was, and when i grow outdoors i will bury a foot or more of the main stock, i just take a tall plant and trim the branches and leaves off the bottom giving me a foot to bury underground, resulting in a shorter plant, and stronger root mass, also helps gain access to the water under ground...

This is similar to my bonsai mums. After being in a 1L air pot for 3 months, giving clones, I take my last bunch of clones, undo the pot, cut rootmass by 60%, bury the stem with frezh dirt, and another 3 months of clones.

Back
Top Bottom