Drill holes at the bottom or side?

JustCurious79

Here's what I heard. Some people drill the drain holes at the side of the bucket, leaving a layer of maybe 2 inches at the bottom where the water would be allowed to accumulate. Have you heard of this before and do you think its of any use to us?

No .... bad idea. You want it to drain freely. You don't want standing water like that .... it'll rot your roots. But, if you put all the holes in the bottom, you need to make sure that you notch the ring along the bottom of the bucket. That ring will seal against the floor and prevent draining unless you notch a couple places on the ring.

No .... bad idea. You want it to drain freely. You don't want standing water like that .... it'll rot your roots. But, if you put all the holes in the bottom, you need to make sure that you notch the ring along the bottom of the bucket. That ring will seal against the floor and prevent draining unless you notch a couple places on the ring.

So right Mutt, Mine are in 5 gallon buckets and they were doing just tha had not put a notch or anything in the bottom lip of the bucket and they would not dry out, so they now have notches but about 30 holes all up and down the bucket, like a smart pot air prooning on the cheap, air flow is a good thing, Peace OG

Here's what I heard. Some people drill the drain holes at the side of the bucket, leaving a layer of maybe 2 inches at the bottom where the water would be allowed to accumulate. Have you heard of this before and do you think its of any use to us?

If you are talking about the classic hempy bucket then yes drill holes in the side at 2" from base of the bucket :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom