Dubnation's - Indoor/Outdoor - Winter Grow Journal - 2016/2017

Hi folks,

Anyone reading have experience with small tent grow and using CO2 exhale bags? I'm already venting fresh air with a fan in to keep the air flow going and since my tent is 2x4x4 and I'll be flowering outdoors does this make sense? I don't have a strong stance either way, but just wondering that's all.

Thanks for reading folks! Hope I can be of some assistance to the forums after my experiment concludes. Ideally I can show other Southern California growers a winter harvest...

Also, anyone have strong opinions about Sativas good for depression, anxiety and ADHD? I want to get my wife off her meds and my future grows will be geared towards giving her the right medicine. I've researched Jack Herer, Super Silver Haze, Blue Dream and the such.

Thinking about a good sativa grow next after this is done.

Hi folks,

Anyone reading have experience with small tent grow and using CO2 exhale bags? I'm already venting fresh air with a fan in to keep the air flow going and since my tent is 2x4x4 and I'll be flowering outdoors does this make sense? I don't have a strong stance either way, but just wondering that's all.

Thanks for reading folks! Hope I can be of some assistance to the forums after my experiment concludes. Ideally I can show other Southern California growers a winter harvest...

Also, anyone have strong opinions about Sativas good for depression, anxiety and ADHD? I want to get my wife off her meds and my future grows will be geared towards giving her the right medicine. I've researched Jack Herer, Super Silver Haze, Blue Dream and the such.

Thinking about a good sativa grow next after this is done.

Actually, scratch that CO2 question guys. I don't think it's useful for my size and needs. Noob question - Sure many will come throughout my grow lol.

My doc treats me for depression....generic Prozac. Most of my grows are sativa dominant and I've told her I wanted to kick the meds. She thinks we will discuss this in December but my script is out before then. My favorite smoke is JH and I'm growing a BD to see if it can un-seat the JH and become my new favorite.

Now as to whether any help with depression, anxiety or ADHD; I believe the benefits are derived from how one doses. I've found the oil to be better suited for this purpose. Me, I just want to get high so I crank up early and often and then sometimes I just lay around. It's just hard to change old stoner habits. :bongrip:

Thanks for sharing Jim. She was on prozac and now zoloft. Also has anxiety and insomnia. It's getting better but we are long time stoners too (highly functional though) so she's thankful we are trying to get these grows together too.

I will be getting BD for the next grow. But in the meantime, I'm strongly thinking of getting a few JH and squeeze it into this grow if possible.

Yesterday gave 1/2 the seedlings their first real drink. Today gave the other 1/2 their first drink too. Only water. No pics until more leaves show.

Going to install a humidifier today as humidity has been in low 30s. I've read that especially during the 3rd and 4th week that higher humidity encourages more females from regular seeds. Other things to encourage females:

- No stress, no topping or pruning during the 3rd and 4th week.
- High N, Low K. 6-4-3 is good? Chicken poo?
- Keep humidity in 70% RH
- Temps from 65 - 85F

Thoughts?

I just did a blue dream grow and I'd have to say its wonderful for mental issues. I also did some moonshine ghost train which is a nice haze and it too was really uplifting, busy smoke lol.
Don't bother with those exhale bags especially with the little babies. Right now you're trying to develop roots which love oxygen, not co2. Deprive them of oxygen then they'll struggle to grow that green stuff above ground. When theyre small like that, instead of watering the top, ill fill a bowl with water and sit the cup into it for about 5 mins. What I call bottom watering works because it forces the taproot to grow downwards in search of water therefore becoming thicker and stronger, in turn, making your stem stronger. Good luck bro :)

Going to install a humidifier today as humidity has been in low 30s. I've read that especially during the 3rd and 4th week that higher humidity encourages more females from regular seeds.

Thoughts?

I only grow and will continue to grow feminized seeds, but I do agree that humidity is a relatively important factor in the veg stage. I'm in the NE US and when I start a grow in the winter months the humidity around here is also in the 30% range and I use a humidifier. I'm not sure how you are venting your tent, but in my case when I would leave the extraction fan on it would continue to draw in fresh air (as it's supposed to) and that resulted in no real increase in the humidity. I get around this by putting the fan on a short cycle timer and leave it off for maybe 20 minutes and run it for maybe 5 minutes. It swings the humidity around some, but overall that approach has worked well for me. If you have any trouble in this regard, a work-around is possible.

Just installed an old one my wife had lying around. Washed that sucker real well and now after 10 minutes the RH is up to 50%. Will monitor to make sure it doesn't exceed 70% I guess.

I have a fan drawing fresh air from inside the tent. I have another small fan blowing in fresh air into that fan so it can accelerate some cooling effects. My temp is still in the upper 80s so trying to get it to low 80s.

Also my vent is open up top to let the hot air out.

Now as to whether any help with depression, anxiety or ADHD; I believe the benefits are derived from how one doses. I've found the oil to be better suited for this purpose. Me, I just want to get high so I crank up early and often and then sometimes I just lay around. It's just hard to change old stoner habits. :bongrip:

Hey, MagicJim! Do you have a link to any good tutorials on how to make oil? Please PM me if it's off-site if you feel that's warranted. I've always been curious about whether it's worth the effort to make. We just got around to making some edibles and my wife and I are pleased with them.

So today is Day 5 since the babies sprouted. My buddy gave me some advice to let the girls rest for 8-12 hours in darkness every 5 days.

After they wake up, I have some Bu's Brew Biodynamic Compost Tea, steeping for 12 hours, that I will give to them. Also have some extra Dr. Earth's Kelp Meal (leftovers from the super soil prep) I could use to top dress.

Question: is this overkill? I'm only using these because I have them already. I don't want to buy too much and use what I have. However I am leaning towards buying FF Grow Big (or should I stick with just EWC and some Mexican Bat Guano).

Goal is organic as possible.

Nice thread, I'm doing 18/6 light schedule, some growers will do 24 until flower, everyone has their own preference. I like the idea of letting them rest, anything growing needs a rest cycle. I wouldn't give them nutes for a couple of weeks, the soil should have all the growing plants need for right now, and you may risk burning them. If you want to go organic as possible, there's many ways of doing it, FF 3 main organics are, Big Bloom, Wholly Mackrel and Kelp me Kelp you. The rest have trace minerals, which some don't consider being organic, but that's where you're going to get the most of your minerals these girl require. If you're unsure if something is organic, look for the OMRI symbol. And like a lot of the other growers have said on these forums, they use an 1/8-1/4 of what the company recommend.

Nice thread, I'm doing 18/6 light schedule, some growers will do 24 until flower, everyone has their own preference. I like the idea of letting them rest, anything growing needs a rest cycle. I wouldn't give them nutes for a couple of weeks, the soil should have all the growing plants need for right now, and you may risk burning them. If you want to go organic as possible, there's many ways of doing it, FF 3 main organics are, Big Bloom, Wholly Mackrel and Kelp me Kelp you. The rest have trace minerals, which some don't consider being organic, but that's where you're going to get the most of your minerals these girl require. If you're unsure if something is organic, look for the OMRI symbol. And like a lot of the other growers have said on these forums, they use an 1/8-1/4 of what the company recommend.

Thanks MikeinBako!

I'm not too far away from you, down here in SoCal, lol. We can compare notes together. So after talking with my local hydro shop guys as well as others here, I've decided against liquid nutes. Instead will go with topdressing the following:

- Mexican Bat Guano (8-3-1)
- Earthworm Castings
- Kelp Meal

Then will supplement with:

- Compost Teas every other watering
- The other watering will use Dyna Gro Pro Tekt Silica (in water) along with Pro Tekt + Neem Oil (foliar spray).

Since I have subcool's supersoil already cooked, I only really need these nutes for veg. Once flower comes, they should be good the rest of the way. Testing out this organic method. Hope no deficiencies.

Here's an update:

Veg Day 5

Turned off lights for 8 hours. No noticeable change (well, it's only 8 hours) but hopefully the roots will thank me. Will keep to the 8 hour darkness for every 5 days.

Here's the White Russian:

IMG_116928.JPG

Here's the Chronic (still waiting on last one to pop, it's not in the picture)

IMG_117026.JPG

Side view:

IMG_117127.JPG

Dubnation,

My strain and your strains seem to be very close in how long they veg and and flower. We will definitely have to compare notes, to see which way would be the best way. If your limited organic method, produces the same as mine, I'll be switching over to your method. But I will be trying the supersoil mix, right now I have roots organic 707 that I will be finishing first.

Thanks Heirloom! I'll be dropping by your journal soon.

I was advised to get T5 2ft 2bulb system but that only has 5,000 lumens.

T5 HO Indoor Grow Light 2 ft 2 Bulbs DL822 Fluorescent Hydroponic Fixture VEG | eBay

I guess for germinating it's ok, but I want to veg and veg well. I know lumens isn't the best measure rather the PAV? But for now, I think if I used the 4,000 lumens/sq ft calculation, I will need 8 x 4,000 or 32,000.

I will add on another T5 2ft 12 bulb that does 20,000 lumens. Giving me 25,000 lumens so just barely short.

Durolux T5 HO Grow Light 2 ft 12Lamps DL8212 Fluorescent Hydroponic Fixture Veg

Or should I scrap this 2bulb set and go for two 8 bulbs fixtures at 15,000 lumens each for a total of 30,000? I'm trying to be cost conscious but also invest for the future grows.

T5 HO Indoor Grow Light 2 ft 8 Bulbs DL828S Fluorescent Hydroponic Fixture VEG | eBay

Thanks for any advice here!

If you are in a 2 X 4 tent an like the T5s you could possibly run a 4 foot 8 bulb T5. They are rated at 40,000+ lumens and can be found for $100-$150 with bulbs included.
That is exactly what I am doing in my 2X4. It is a tight fit I had to flex the frame a little to get it in. It is in there snug but goes up and down on the yoyos just fine. My girls seem to like it in that setup also.

Here we are at Day 8.

Learning a lot more about organic growing. There's so much to play around with to keep the LOS going, but I'm aiming for sustainability and have many rounds to grow this year, so this soil will be used a lot. We are going to set up a vermicompost as well as a grass trimming compost soon. That will consistently allow us to brew teas for all of our plants. I am just worried about the winter months coming ahead so yield and timing will suffer I'm sure. But that's why I want to try 1 round now to get all the kinks out before the growing season.

Besides that I'm going to grab some:

Mexican Bat Guano
EWC
100% Coconut Water

to have ready when the second week is upon us. Besides the new purchases, I will use the Pro Tekt that I already have to water.

9 out of 10 Serious Seeds are doing wonderful. Great genetics! Gave them a shout out in the seeds forum lol.

The 10th one I dug around to see what was going on and she has popped but hasn't penetrated the soil yet. Very odd... so I gave her a little help and placed very close to the light to help her get going. She's 8 days behind!

IMG_119636.JPG

Here's day 8 up close. Is she a mutant or what? Should I be worried about her:
IMG_119434.JPG

The rest of them look like this:
IMG_119532.JPG

Forgot to add that my RH is around 60-65 and Temps are about 80-85F. No inline fans installed, but I have two regular fans blowing in and out. I wonder if I should invest in an exhaust?

Thanks for reading guys and appreciate all the help!

Hey dubnation how's it going. First off, glad to see another warriors fan. We've survived the dark years. For me, I would have never thought KD would even consider joining the dubs. Some notable screw ups in the past Would be the trading Mitch Richmond for Billy Owens, drafting Todd Fuller over Kobe Bryant, just to name a few. The list goes on and on. Anyways, welcome to 420 mag. Good to see someone interested in organics. Hope you don't mind, but I would like to bring up the importance of Aloe Vera in you arsenal of organic tricks. IMO, one of the single best natural fertilize you can give to you plant.. Here's some notes I'd like to share with you.

Aloe vera......

Quote:
The ten main areas of chemical constituents of Aloe vera include: Amino Acids, Anthraquinones, Enzymes, Minerals, Vitamins, Lignins, Monosaccharide, Polysaccharides, Salicylic Acid, Saponins, And Sterols.

Amino acids found in Aloe vera include: Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Valine,And Tryptophan. Some Of The Other Non-Essential Amino Acids Found In Aloe Vera Include Alanine, Arginine, Asparagine, Cysteine, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Histidine, Proline, Serine, Tyrosine, Glutamine, And Aspartic Acid.

Enzymes include Amylase, Bradykinase, Catalase, Cellulas, Lipase, Oxidase, Alkaline Phosphatase, Proteolytias, Creatine Phosphokinase and Carboxypeptidase.

Aloe vera also contains Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and B12 along with Choline, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese, Chromium, Selenium. Additional elements found in Aloe vera include Copper, Iron, Potassium, Phosphorus, And Sodium.

Good stuff if ya ask me.

BTW, my dad used to flower out his plants in the method that you are going to attempt. I've seen it work many times. The yield wasn't as big as the fall harvest, but it was still potent. He called it "winter bud". One thing to be careful of is the rain. Don't let them soak through multiple days of rain. It may lead to powdery mildew, and bud rot. (Seen that happen too). Anyway good luck dubnation and may you plants produce a bountiful harvest. Go warriors

Back
Top Bottom