Dubnation's - Indoor/Outdoor - Winter Grow Journal - 2016/2017

Hey dubnation how's it going. First off, glad to see another warriors fan. We've survived the dark years. For me, I would have never thought KD would even consider joining the dubs. Some notable screw ups in the past Would be the trading Mitch Richmond for Billy Owens, drafting Todd Fuller over Kobe Bryant, just to name a few. The list goes on and on. Anyways, welcome to 420 mag. Good to see someone interested in organics. Hope you don't mind, but I would like to bring up the importance of Aloe Vera in you arsenal of organic tricks. IMO, one of the single best natural fertilize you can give to you plant.. Here's some notes I'd like to share with you.

Aloe vera......

Quote:
The ten main areas of chemical constituents of Aloe vera include: Amino Acids, Anthraquinones, Enzymes, Minerals, Vitamins, Lignins, Monosaccharide, Polysaccharides, Salicylic Acid, Saponins, And Sterols.

Amino acids found in Aloe vera include: Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Valine,And Tryptophan. Some Of The Other Non-Essential Amino Acids Found In Aloe Vera Include Alanine, Arginine, Asparagine, Cysteine, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Histidine, Proline, Serine, Tyrosine, Glutamine, And Aspartic Acid.

Enzymes include Amylase, Bradykinase, Catalase, Cellulas, Lipase, Oxidase, Alkaline Phosphatase, Proteolytias, Creatine Phosphokinase and Carboxypeptidase.

Aloe vera also contains Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and B12 along with Choline, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese, Chromium, Selenium. Additional elements found in Aloe vera include Copper, Iron, Potassium, Phosphorus, And Sodium.

Good stuff if ya ask me.

BTW, my dad used to flower out his plants in the method that you are going to attempt. I've seen it work many times. The yield wasn't as big as the fall harvest, but it was still potent. He called it "winter bud". One thing to be careful of is the rain. Don't let them soak through multiple days of rain. It may lead to powdery mildew, and bud rot. (Seen that happen too). Anyway good luck dubnation and may you plants produce a bountiful harvest. Go warriors

Awesome! Another Warriors fan! Yes, the dark ages are behind us finally. I've been a fan since the late 80s so I got the Run TMC for a few years. Now I'm in Southern California so you can understand how sad I am to miss all the fun up in the Bay.

Anyhow, thank you SO MUCH about the Aloe idea. I looked that up as well and find some people actually clone with them too! I will put that in my shopping list. Can I ask, how do you feed your girls aloe? In juice form or you use the actual plant?

Thanks also for the advice about "winter bud". I definitely worry about the rain as last year's late rain hindered some of my plants. Fortunately since they are in fabric pots, I can move them under my roof overhang for a little cover. My friend said I should buy a leaf blower to get the girls dry after the rain.

Please continue to unload as much as you want! I don't mind at all. And hopefully I can contribute to other grows through my own experiments.

DN. I use fresh aloe to water my plants, and as a foliar spray about once or twice a week. I cut about a 2 inch piece off of the plant, slit it down the middle and put it in a 1 gallon milk jug filled with water, and shake the crap outta it. When using fresh aloe, you have to use it within 20 mins. If your using aloe in a powder form, I believe it's 2 tsp per gallon.

Day 10

Time for 8 hour lights off, little break for the growing babies. They sure grow a lot from day to day. Yesterday gave them their second water and this time with EWC and Guano as top dress with Pro Tekt and SuperThrive water.

The 10th seed which was slow really isn't growing. I think she's dead, but will still keep my fingers crossed.

NONE of the other seeds have germinated! Mekong High, Special Queen 1, Skunk 11. So looks like this grow will be 9 hybrid girls (no sativa strains...) bummer :( Next time I'm going to scuff the seeds from the other seed banks prior to soak. Plus, 9-10 in veg is probably the most my tiny tent can handle anyways!

IMG_120132.JPG

IMG_120233.JPG

IMG_120338.JPG

Next water will be a AACT. Got the pump and air stone yesterday.

Have a great weekend everyone!

What's up Dubnation, I'll sub up for your journal. Seedlings are looking pretty good. Scuffing seeds is very beneficial to allow water to seep in and activate the seeds. Some seed bank seeds are older and have less vigour, so you never know. Good luck to you, and...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

What's up Dubnation, I'll sub up for your journal. Seedlings are looking pretty good. Scuffing seeds is very beneficial to allow water to seep in and activate the seeds. Some seed bank seeds are older and have less vigour, so you never know. Good luck to you, and...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Thanks man. The last Chronic seed was dead, I dug her out and her tap root was 1/4 inch and the sprout dried up. Poor thing, I wonder what I did wrong with her... all her sisters sprouted just fine 4 out of 5. Oh well...

The other Sativa seeds aren't doing anything either. I'm going to leave them in there undisturbed until I need some more soil and will dig them up to see where they are. If they dead, going to use that soil for when I transplant to 1 gallon. Probably 8/31 when they are a full 2 weeks in veg (but will be a game time decision).

Day 12

The third node is starting to grow. Following MagicJim probably and will top in a day or two once they grow just a tiny bit more.

Here is team White Russian:

IMG_121437.JPG

And here is team Chronic:
IMG_121533.JPG

I've dug up all the other seeds. Absolutely nothing. Have recycled the soil.

Just got in some Green Crack and White Widow seeds... I really want to kick off 1 of each but no chance I can make the room. Though they are feminized and none of the Chronic or White Russian are... thoughts? Again, I'm in a 2x4 tent, lol. A man can dream...

Cheers everyone!

Day 13 - Early topping at 3rd node

So I decided to try and top early. One of each strain. The rest I will top a little later. Been reading about mainlining. I may do that to the girls I want to veg longer... TBD.

Here are the pics:

Prior to top:
IMG_121644.JPG

Topped:
IMG_121733.JPG

Side profile:
IMG_121829.JPG

The others I will wait a little longer and observe the early topping as on the first two.

Have a great day 420 family!

Also installed my new 8-bulb T5s.

Only turned on half for now since they were under 2-bulbs before. Happy with the lighting upgrades. Thanks for all the advice. I'll turn on all 8 when I transplant to 1 gallon which will probably be in 3 days.

Please comment if I'm doing this right. Or should I go ahead and turn on all 8-bulbs? That's 20,000 lumens for just these small girls.

From everything I've read, you want to get them used to the stronger light. So you going from to full 8, might burn them, it would be like sticking them out in the sun. I'd do the 4 for now, and after a few days, or a week, switch them to full 8, and see how they do.

You really don't need huge amounts of light to veg, but, when you increase it, it's also a good idea to raise the lights 6"-12" or so and, if the plants look OK after a couple of days, you can start lowering again.

The girls don't show any stress from the lights even though it went up about 1 degree or so. Still only 4-bulbs for now. I'll turn on 8-bulbs after they pot up to 1-gal pots.

I'm also leaving to Colorado for 4 days next week and will have separation anxiety. Going to get them into 1-gal so they have enough water and will probably leave some water in the bottom saucer for it to wick up.

QUESTION THOUGH: Anyone have experience topping Chronic strains? I've seriously been everywhere, various forums, looking for a definitive answer since Serious Seeds recommends not to top because she doesn't respond well. Anyhow, I've already topped 1 of them so the other 3 I may leave alone and test them side by side.

Thanks for all the lighting help.

So as I feared, after upgrading the girls from 2-bulbs to 4-bulbs, I came home yesterday to some yellow tips, yellow spots and leaf curling up. First reaction was the beginning of light burn. So I twisted off the other 2 bulbs. Please have a look folks and let me know if this could also possibly be a Cal-Mag issue?

For those following my grow, I haven't added any nutes other than EWC & Guano for top dress and light Pro Tekt and SuperThrive. Water is pH'd so not a problem there. RH is still around 60%.

Temps did get higher last few days so a combo of heat stress and light burn?

IMG_122149.JPG

IMG_122041.JPG

IMG_121942.JPG

In the case if it is a nutrient deficiency, what are your thoughts about organic Cal-Mag treatment? Dolomite Lime for the Mag? Eggshells for Cal?

Thanks for all the lighting help.

So as I feared, after upgrading the girls from 2-bulbs to 4-bulbs, I came home yesterday to some yellow tips, yellow spots and leaf curling up. First reaction was the beginning of light burn. So I twisted off the other 2 bulbs. Please have a look folks and let me know if this could also possibly be a Cal-Mag issue?

For those following my grow, I haven't added any nutes other than EWC & Guano for top dress and light Pro Tekt and SuperThrive. Water is pH'd so not a problem there. RH is still around 60%.

Temps did get higher last few days so a combo of heat stress and light burn?

IMG_122149.JPG

IMG_122041.JPG

IMG_121942.JPG

In the case if it is a nutrient deficiency, what are your thoughts about organic Cal-Mag treatment? Dolomite Lime for the Mag? Eggshells for Cal?

It's not a cal-mag issue...the spot on the leaf looks to simply be a water drop, probably from a feeding, that acted like a magnifying glass under the light and caused a burn spot. Nothing to worry about there.

The burning tips leads me to believe you're giving them too much nutes, too early. Plants that young can get away with the nutes just in the soil for their first few weeks. If you haven't been giving them nutes, the soil mix may be too "hot", but the burning tips isn't from the lights and it's too early to have a cal deficiency.

I hope that helps!

:Namaste:

It's not a cal-mag issue...the spot on the leaf looks to simply be a water drop, probably from a feeding, that acted like a magnifying glass under the light and caused a burn spot. Nothing to worry about there.

The burning tips leads me to believe you're giving them too much nutes, too early. Plants that young can get away with the nutes just in the soil for their first few weeks. If you haven't been giving them nutes, the soil mix may be too "hot", but the burning tips isn't from the lights and it's too early to have a cal deficiency.

I hope that helps!

:Namaste:

Thank you Mr. Krip!

I ended up reducing the lights down to 3-bulb after they had about 9 hours of darkness. I've been on a routine of every 5 days to give them 8-12 hours of darkness to rest. Today just happened to be a 5th day which was fortuitous.

They bursted with new growth from that little rest and have recovered well, but then again, I just turned on the lights again.

About the nute burn. I have them in roots organics soil from the very beginning with coco mixed in. I've only given them EWC and Guano as top dress once last week. Then the waterings have been with SuperThrive and Pro Tekt. pH is steady between 6.5 - 7. Do you think those 4 items could cause that type of burn? I guess the top dress takes time to settle so that is why?

Leaving in a week for 5 days so I'm VERY VERY worried about time away from the babies. A friend told me "a good farmer never leaves the farm until after the harvest."

I'm a bad farmer! lol

Back
Top Bottom