Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells

I have been meaning to start this for quite a while. I think since last year. I wanted to use the CalMag I already bought last year but figured I would do this instead since it is undeniably better. Finally got started tonight. Now the long 20.5 day fermentation.

Thanks again @Emilya for the tutorials and inspiration to make our own supplements.

20200424_211716.jpg
20200424_220431.jpg

20200424_220837.jpg

20200424_221142.jpg

You can see how high the chemical reaction got. Only after 20-30 minutes it is down to this.
20200424_225019.jpg

Just wanted to stop in in to Thank You, Emilie, I have made a batch of DIY Calmag, Its still brewing but I am using it to bring down my PH in water, read that vinegar is just as good as ph down so figured this could not hurt the girls, might even give them a little calmag boost. Cheers

This is an awesome product to use during the changeover period from growing to flowering/fruiting on all of your plants. For most of us, by using molasses we are able to get the magnesium that our plants need, but for our calcium needs, most of us have to fall back on a commercial product, and we end up buying one of the many versions of calmag supplement that are available. Because of a lock on the market by being the only source of an important nutrient, prices for this supplement, especially organic versions, are way overpriced.

I am going to show you how to make a superior calcium supplement that is cheap, easy to make and definitely cheaper than the commercial versions. By using organic materials, not only can calcium and magnesium be easily supplied, but also phosphorus, potassium and natural enzymes, making our homemade supplement just as "plus" as calmag+.

Any bones, sea shells, oysters, clam shells or egg shells can be used. Being severely landlocked in the midwest, I chose to use eggshells to create my calcium phosphate.

First collect about a dozen eggs and wash each egg out after use to get rid of the filaments and protein inside. I washed mine out and sat them on the windowsill for a couple of days to dry out, and then using my hands crumbled them up into a bowl.
DSCF56052.JPG

The next step is to pan fry the egg shells to the point that most of them are brown or even black, and there are just a few white ones left. Heat changes the shells, and the white ones will be your phosphorus source and the burned ones will be the calcium.

Here they are just starting to turn
DSCF56062.JPG

And here we have the eggshells burned just right.
DSCF5607.JPG

Next we put the cooked shells into a coffee grinder or in some other way grind them up into a powder.
DSCF56082.JPG

Next, add 5 parts vinegar to the pile of powdered eggshells. I used an organic organic apple cider vinegar in order to capture its natural goodness too. This step will fizz up quite dramatically, depending on how well you ground up the egg shells, and I suggest doing this in your kitchen sink. The vinegar is going to eat the egg shells, and it will fizz for a while.
DSCF5609.JPG

DSCF56101.JPG

After about half a day, the fizzing should mostly stop. Seal the jar up and let this ferment for 20 days. Filter into another jar, and you have homemade calcium phosphate. Use it by adding 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Add 1 tablespoon of molasses to the gallon and you will have with the combination the equivalent of using calmag+ at the recommended dosages.

I spent $18 on my last quart of organic calmag. My homemade product costs pennies per gallon to produce. Guess what I will be using from now on?
Thank you Emilya! I’ll definitely be trying this

This is an awesome product to use during the changeover period from growing to flowering/fruiting on all of your plants. For most of us, by using molasses we are able to get the magnesium that our plants need, but for our calcium needs, most of us have to fall back on a commercial product, and we end up buying one of the many versions of calmag supplement that are available. Because of a lock on the market by being the only source of an important nutrient, prices for this supplement, especially organic versions, are way overpriced.

I am going to show you how to make a superior calcium supplement that is cheap, easy to make and definitely cheaper than the commercial versions. By using organic materials, not only can calcium and magnesium be easily supplied, but also phosphorus, potassium and natural enzymes, making our homemade supplement just as "plus" as calmag+.

Any bones, sea shells, oysters, clam shells or egg shells can be used. Being severely landlocked in the midwest, I chose to use eggshells to create my calcium phosphate.

First collect about a dozen eggs and wash each egg out after use to get rid of the filaments and protein inside. I washed mine out and sat them on the windowsill for a couple of days to dry out, and then using my hands crumbled them up into a bowl.
DSCF56052.JPG

The next step is to pan fry the egg shells to the point that most of them are brown or even black, and there are just a few white ones left. Heat changes the shells, and the white ones will be your phosphorus source and the burned ones will be the calcium.

DSCF56062.JPG

DSCF5607.JPG

Next we put the cooked shells into a coffee grinder or in some other way grind them up into a powder.
DSCF56082.JPG

Next, add 5 parts vinegar to the pile of powdered eggshells. I used an organic organic apple cider vinegar in order to capture its natural goodness too. This step will fizz up quite dramatically, depending on how well you ground up the egg shells, and I suggest doing this in your kitchen sink. The vinegar is going to eat the egg shells, and it will fizz for a while.
DSCF5609.JPG

DSCF56101.JPG

After about half a day, the fizzing should mostly stop. Seal the jar up and let this ferment for 20 days. Filter into another jar, and you have homemade calcium phosphate. Use it by adding 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Add 1 tablespoon of molasses to the gallon and you will have with the combination the equivalent of using calmag+ at the recommended dosages.

I spent $18 on my last quart of organic calmag. My homemade product costs pennies per gallon to produce. Guess what I will be using from now on?
Emily, my name is Jody and I’ve been told your the lady I need to speak with. Can you please email me or add me as a FB friend (Jody Glover, Sudbury Ontario) or somehow reach out to me. I need HELP

Emily, my name is Jody and I’ve been told your the lady I need to speak with. Can you please email me or add me as a FB friend (Jody Glover, Sudbury Ontario) or somehow reach out to me. I need HELP
Hi Jody! I would be happy to help you but only within the safety of this forum. I will see if I can open up a private message to you so you can have a more direct link into me.

I just realized that my diy cal-mag is at 27 days of fermentation! I need to get that strained and bottled up. I'm thinking of using it for all my veggies, fruit tree, and of course the cannabis plants this weekend! Thanks again @Emilya !

I was thinking that the remaining shells would just break down eventually in the soil.

Great point though! I still haven't appearing mine but I'll be putting mine into the compost bin. It can break down slowly in there!

DSCF56052.JPG

DSCF56062.JPG

DSCF5607.JPG

DSCF56082.JPG

DSCF5609.JPG

DSCF56101.JPG

Thank you for the write up @Emilya :popcorn:
I was wondering, grandma mollasus cararies 2% iron and 2% calcuim. would the plant require more than that?
I am asking this as i have a jar of molasses but if i am going to need more calcuim than i need to start saving up on bones and egg-shels.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the write up @Emilya :popcorn:
I was wondering, grandma mollasus cararies 2% iron and 2% calcuim. would the plant require more than that?
I am asking this as i have a jar of molasses but if i am going to need more calcuim than i need to start saving up on bones and egg-shels.

Thanks in advance.
no, sadly the calcium and iron in molasses is not enough to get you through the grow. Its best to have the whole recipe ready to go and already fermented, just in case you need it. An egg a day is good for you... and in 12 days you will have enough shells to get a batch going. Be sure not to cut corners, and get the apple cider vinegar too... it alone brings a lot of good stuff to the table.

ive got vinager cyder and the process is super easy and simple. I will start saving up on eggs shells.
My other question is, Do i need to use this since i am using MC? I've heard you don't need to use diff fertz as MC carries everything plants need

ive got vinager cyder and the process is super easy and simple. I will start saving up on eggs shells.
My other question is, Do i need to use this since i am using MC? I've heard you don't need to use diff fertz as MC carries everything plants need
if you are using megacrop you should not use this. You can actually upset the balance and create problems in a MC grow by adding something from the outside.

if you are using megacrop you should not use this. You can actually upset the balance and create problems in a MC grow by adding something from the outside.
Yes, i figured. I guess i've got a good fertilizer and dosn't really need anything.

DSCF56052.JPG

DSCF56062.JPG

DSCF5607.JPG

DSCF56082.JPG

DSCF5609.JPG

DSCF56101.JPG

What do you mean by 5 parts of vinegar, for example, if I have 100 grams of egg shells. I should add 500 grams of vinegar? Can I use any vinegar?

Also, about the one spoon per gallon, is that for any size plant? Will too much hurt?
About heating the shells. You say that the white ones will be a phosphorus source, are you saying I should put a few aside and not cook them?

Back
Top Bottom