EZ-clone slow rooting / how long?

count duckula

I've had my cuttings in an ez-clone for about 2 weeks, they have massive short, spikey roots coming out but no long roots...kind of like this:

EZClone_Roots.jpg

It took about a week for the first nubs to appear.

The strains are Somango and Master Kush.

I'm using the ez-clone as directed:

1 oz clear rez in the tank per week, no nutes, tap water (around 6.5-7 pH...I need a better meter)

Room temps are around mid 70s
Water temp around 80-82
Light cycle 18/6

Are my temps or water pH a problem?
Do those strains take a long time to root?
Should my light cycle be 24?

Thanks in advance!

Good morning Count,

What "on-off" cycle times are you running with your cloner?
I ask because I'm about to put some cuttings in my cloner and need a timer starting point, but also am wondering out loud if perhaps your's aren't getting sprayed just a little more frequently than they really need. I could be completely wrong, but it seems the answer to a lot of root stretch questions is to force the roots to search for water (dry out some).

I've been reading a lot about the pump times and am running it 24 hours...only turn it off to check root progress (every 2-3 days) and to add clear rez.

Before the ez-cloner, i had almost 0% success with different methods. This is the first time I've used the ez-c and 100% success rate...just a little slow, but if that's what it takes, so be it.

This is my fourth time using the EZ-Cloner - pretty much used rockwool cubes before. Though I have tried various other methods to improve my success rate.

What you have looks pretty good for two weeks :goodjob: +reps

One thing that will also help is to clean out your reservoir (with bleach or H2O2) - and then switch to light nutrients in the water during the 3rd week - rather than the cloning solutions. Once they have a good root set - they can handle a light nutrient load and will grow much faster using this. When I continued using the cloning solution in the third week - I got mag deficiencies in the plant that showed up late in the week. I used Cal-Mag and they straightened right out. But I think it is better to just plan on cleaning, new water, and using a light nutrient load during week 3.

A one-minute-on and four-minutes-off timer will definitely help with root growth as well. They will stretch for the water much quicker. It is likely related more to the temps in the reservoir than anything else.

Also, cutting the bottom out of the net pots seems to help - and they are far easier to get out of the net pots without damaging the new roots this way.

I pretty much take mine 3 weeks every time now - they start off the veg cycle much faster this way. At least in my limited experience.

Also, the higher temps will help them root faster, but will also uncourage bacterial, fungal, and algae growth. You'd definately be having issues without the Clear REZ. A weekly reservor change is recommended.

I run around 73 degrees. I use Conex without spritting or scraping the stem. I make sure there are at least two nodes under the collar and try to keep only an inch or so of stem under. I also let the Clonex sit for a half hour before turning on the pump. I also don't have a timer.

Just saying how I do it. Most times it's near 100%. I run 2 liter Hempy so I try to have the longest roots possible. When I take the clones out the roots will be between 6 and 8 inches.

Back
Top Bottom