Feeding Grounds - Top or Bottom Feed?

BlackPolo23

I've been reading on bottom feeding this morning. It seems that it may be an overlooked way to further stimulate your plants needs. More efficient then top feeding, when your plant is watered through the bottom the plant must feed their self. Allowing your roots to take in all food. Seems a good way for you to nutrient feed.
While with top feeding you are putting water into your medium more so than feeding your plant. IMO a good balance of keeping your medium moist with a little bottom feeding could yield outrageous numbers.

So does any1 use bottom feeding in this day of RDWC modules etc etc?

I top feed, but use a tray to catch the water. i pour about half of what i feed through the soil from the top, then pour the rest in the tray and let it soak up the rest from the bottom.

I've done both and not really seen any significant difference between them. I would think that bottom feeding is best because you're letting the water and nutes go up into the soil instead of washing away, but like I said, I haven't noticed any real difference. Bottom feeding is a bit harder and takes time so I usually do top watering. Your plants will love you either way.

I use both top feeding and bottom feeding. Top feeding and bottom feeding happens in nature.

You really shouldn't have a problem with nutrient burn or nutrient lockout as long aren't putting in more nutrients than the soil food web or the plant can deal with.

If you do encounter a nutrient lock out or nutrient burn add more water.

Bottom feeding can lead to excessive salt build up. Alot of hydro growers have switched from flood tables to drip lines because of this. If you're using organic nutrients and you keep the res filled properly, a "wicking basket" type set up could work pretty well. If not, then I'd say you're probably better off doing standard over the top watering.

Back
Top Bottom