First Grow Ever - Closet 96Watt T5

HERBivore13

So I am in the process of growing my first plants.
My growing room is a small storage closet. The dimensions are 23" W x 21" L x 5' H.
Here are my supplies: New Wave T5 2ft/4-lamp fixture, (4) 6500K 2ft T5 lamps, (4) 3000K 2ft T5 lamps, 80% Soil & 20% Perlite growing medium, Brita purified water.

I water with ~5 mLs every time the soil dries up on the top inch.

On the first day, I planted 2 grow bag seeds in the soil and left two 6500K lights on for 24 hours. The temperature was at 74 degrees and 50% humidity.

No changes occurred on days 2 and 3.

On day 4, one plant broke through the soil. I added a third 6500K light.

On day 5, I added a small fan for circulation and a third 6500K light. The temperature rose to 80 degrees and the humidity stayed the same.

No changes on day 6.

On day 7, the second plant broke through the soil during the night. I have been growing the seeds in peat pots that are supposed to allow the roots to break through it. At this point, I transplanted the pots into separate 3 gallon buckets. I also added the final fourth light. Temp rose to ~84 degrees. Humidity dipped to 40-45%.

Today, day 8, I lowered the lights on the side of the younger plant. The younger plant is much taller than what the other plant was at this point in its life.
Also, the older plant's stem has always been green while the younger plant's stem is darker, almost a brown. Is this ok? If you need more info let me know.

I'll post pics as soon as i can

Re: First Grow Ever...Closet...96W T5

Hey HERB.
Welcome to the 420 neighborhood. We are doing our first grow as well and you will serve yourself immensely by studying up and reading these guys who are experts...no doubt. My advice would be to search the grow journal threads and find guys who have like-setups. We started ours under Fls (2 and 4-foot) and like you used several spectrums with the majority being 6500. Had real good results with the start-up of the seedlings and have switched to a 400W MH/HPS system and are currently running under the MH bulb. How low do you have your lights right now? About two inches from the tops of the growing tips worked good for us and didn't burn any. I will be watching your grow....if you want you can stop by ours and check it out. Welcome.

:welcome: to 420 herb...

you are definitly on your way. You're lookin good so far :goodjob::cheer:

dro :nomo:

thanks hippy and dro...hippy, so far i have been leaving my lights on 24/0 but i'm switching to 18/6 tomorrow.

Over the weekend i noticed spider mites and i was able to spray them yesterday. i read that they're like herpes...no cure and always come back. hopefully my crop will persevere.

I've posted pics of my plants' progress and what i used as a miticide. i also just bought some nutrients. I was hoping to give this to the plant that received the most damage from the spider mites but it's only 5 days old. When can i start giving it nutes to help overcome any damage from the spider mites?

HERB...I know alot about killing mites on plants that you aren't going to consume, but absolutely nothing about mites on MJ. My advice is to search this forum thoroughly and I would almost guarantee you will find some good answers. Sorry I can't help with it but someone will I feel sure. Good luck and keep on keeping on.

so i guess i made a HUGE noob mistake of spraying the miticide with the lights on. I check on them before the lights turned off and everything was ok...6 hours later when the lights turned on, most of the leaves were shriveled and dry with black streaks. my plants are only a few days old so the majority of both plants are now burned. i would post pics but it's just too painful to even look at.

Should i try to revive them and keep going, or scrap the plants since it's early and start over?

Umm wowz, honestly its your decision call. Are they really that bad?

here's what it looks like...
Before:
younger_plant_b4_miticide.JPG
older_plant_b4_miticide.JPG

After:
younger_plant_after_miticide.JPG
older_plant_after_miticide.JPG

Nah they should definitly make it. I've beat up my b!tches worse than that. Mist em a couple times for some extra love and they should be just fine bro ;)

dro :nomo:

nah they look good and green.. but once they start to yellow off jus a tad you can start nutes at 1/4th - 1/3rd strenf ;)

Re: First Grow Ever.Closet.96W T5

Yo HERB,
Don't worry with the spotty leaves....just let them heal themselves. Plants at that stage need all the leaves they can to grow and push past a bad spell. As far as fertilizing (or spraying anything) the general rule of thumb is to let the plants establish themselves and get a solid root system developed....four or more nodes of growth would suffice. We hit our babes with their first nutes (Fox Farms) at 1/4 then 1/2 strength (Like DroJo was saying). Good luck with the mites...they are stubborn bastards. Soapy water will work, but on young seedlings might burn them as well. Good luck my man.

I've been watering the plants about every 4 days with 2 quarts of water...i started to use nutrients (1/2 strength on the bigger and 1/4 strength on the smaller) and i plan on using nutes every other watering. The tips of the big leaves are dark and dry and the some of the leaves are curling up. I don't think my plants have any deficiencies so i raised the lights by two links. After a few hours, the bigger plant, which was very stacked, spread out a lot more. Here's some pics...
2_28_10_momma_2.JPG
2_28_10_momma.JPG
2_28_10_baby_2.JPG
2_28_10_baby.JPG

lookin good. told ya they would bounce back :cheer:

keep it up bro:goodjob::thumb:

+rep!

dro:reading420magazine:

Back
Top Bottom