First Planting: Blueberry, Purgatory, Kushberry, Indoor Organic Soil, LED & HPS

Miasma

All Clean.jpg

This is my second journal and first time growing directly from seed.

What strain is it? DJ Short's Original Blueberry (x4 seeds), TGA Genetics' Purgatory (x2 seedlings), DNA Genetics' Kushberry (x2 seedlings)

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? All are indica dominant hybrids

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? The Blueberry is coming up on the 24 hour mark for Day 1; Purgatory and Kushberry are on Day 6

If in Veg... For how long? Purgatory and Kushberry sprouted on Day 2 of their grow, so 4 days

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor

Soil or Hydro? Soil

If soil... what is in your mix? Ecoscraps Natural & Organic Potting Mix, 1/8 tsp Vermiblood, 1/4 tsp Bone Meal, 1/4 tsp Espsom Salt mixed into the soil and sprayed with a Hydrogen Peroxide solution before planting. They are planted into Root Riot cubes in the middle of their assigned pots/cups.

If soil... What size pot? Quart Pot with Tray (x4), Plastic Tumblers: 1 Cup (x4)

Size of light? Starting seedlings with fan-cooled 300W LED's 10" away; after more growth, each will move to their assigned larger vegetative cabinets with 24"-30" raised fan-cooled 300W LED. For bloom, each will jump into the HPS Bloom Room with a 400W HPS air-cooled, ducted light.

Is it aircooled? Yes

Temp of Room/cab? 79-85 F

RH of Room/cab? 50-55% RH

PH of media or res? 6.3-6.9

Any Pests? Saw Spider Mites on the second day of sprouting from the Purgatory/Kushberry seedlings; Neem Oil has been administered and I now see zero mites.

How often are you watering? The seeds have been watered every 2-4 hours since planting with a large spray bottle; the seedlings are the same, though I have changed theirs to every 6 hours.

Re: First Planting - Blueberry, Purgatory, Kushberry - Indoor Organic Soil - LED & HP

Day 7 - Kushberry #1 & #2, Purgatory #1 & #2: Vegetation Cabinet
Day 3 - Blueberry #1 - #4: Propagation Chamber
Day 1 - Blueberry #5 & #6, Kushberry #3: Propagation Chamber

Sprouts.jpg
New Seeds.jpg

I decided to plant two more Blueberry seeds and one more Kushberry seed today; the only change I made in their planting between the last planting and today's was no direct planting into Root Riot cubes in combination with the soil. I decided going directly into the soil would be an option I'd like to try and observe. There were a few spider mites that appeared in the new plantings; I am starting to think that they began in the Root Riot cube bag. Regardless, the new plants have all been thoroughly doused in a Neem Oil solution; I haven't seen spider mites since a minute before I poured the solution onto the growth medium, about 12 hours ago.

I have to say that I am starting to get an itch to plant all of my seeds; I have another nine Blueberry seeds, three Purgatory seeds and three Kushberry seeds. My current goal is to start a perpetually yielding system and potentially store male pollen from any that I find/segregate from my crop; I wanted to get a 16"x16"x36" tent to store male plants in on top of my Propagation Chamber, I think that would be the tits.

I am looking to put two at a time into the Bloom Room, adding another two plants to the Bloom Room's cycle halfway through the first two plants' Bloom period. I will be making a tarped compartment above the Bloom Room ScroG area with a zippered door; this will have a string in it to chop and hang buds for curing. By doing this I can harvest and move plants within the same space, making the process slightly more efficient and using the filtered, negatively charged environment to keep the buds' trimming clean and more efficient.

:volcano-smiley:

I do have another thread going for my clones, but I separated them into their own journals given their differences. If you'd like to view the whole process, here's the link to my clone thread:

Virgin Grower - Pink 2.0 & Sour Diesel Clones - Indoor - Soil

Re: First Planting - Blueberry, Purgatory, Kushberry - Indoor Organic Soil - LED & HP

Blueberry2pop.jpg

Day 3 - Blueberry #1 - #4: Propagation Chamber

All of #1-#4 of the Blueberry plants have popped, though plant #2 has fully emerged its head from the medium; you can still see the others, I believe they will stand up in the next few hours.

Day 1 - Blueberry #5 & #6, Kushberry #3: Propagation Chamber

I am anticipating that Blueberry plants #5 & #6, along with Kushberry plant #3, will all germinate within the next 2-3 days. I may add more seeds to the Propagation Chamber.

Day 7 & 8 - Kushberry #1 & #2, Purgatory #1 & #2: Vegetation Cabinet

I noticed a few yellow spots on the edges of Kushberry #2's first leaves, but this is the only plant currently with said condition. I have given it an epsom salt spray for a Magnesium boost, I believe this will help.

All chambers have been cleaned again today with a 1:1 Hydrogen Peroxide/Water solution; I am starting to enjoy keeping the work stations as spotless as I can.

1-10B.jpg

Day 1 - Blueberry #7, #8, #9 & #10: Propagation Chamber

I got an itch to put more seeds down. I now have eight seedlings, seven planted seeds and six clones. There's still a few seeds left, I might save them.

Purp.jpg

Day 4 - Blueberry #1-#4: Propagation Chamber

All of Blueberry #1-#4 have sprouted and have purple stalks with purple initial terminal bud leaves, regardless of having the same nutrient diet as the first Sprouts of Kushberry and Purgatory (which are 100% green). Considering that they've also been given a proper humidity percentage, a warm temperature range and 6.0-6.5 pH balanced soil/nutrients, I am deducting it to a purple phenotype. I am anticipating that every Blueberry seed I have received will be this phenotype and I am very excited about it!

kush3pop.jpg

Day 2 - Blueberry #5 & #6, Kushberry #3: Propagation Chamber

The feminized Kushberry #3 just popped around the 48 hour mark, give or take thirty minutes; I am pretty astonished at how well they are taking, as I haven't had a seed fail me yet before Day 3's end. I guess that's what happens when you buy seeds in a state where it is legal to cultivate at a medical standard.

I decided not to use rooting cubes in combination with the soil this time; I don't know why I had the extra step. I will save the root cubes for clones.

I now have nine seedlings of my own with six clones (four in extended vegetative stage and two in bloom) lined up to establish the perpetual blooming cycle that these seedlings will one day step into.

blue5.jpg
blue7.jpg
blue10.jpg

Day 3 - Blueberry #5-#6
Day 2.5 - Blueberry #7-#10

Blueberry Plants #5, #7 and #10 have all sprouted; so far I haven't had a dud, but I am still waiting for three more to finish their initial germination process.

hateful8.jpg

Day 4 - Blueberry Seeds #5 & #6
Day 3 - Blueberry Seeds #7-#10

Blueberry Plant #8 aka Hateful Eight has joined the party, and even busted a nut on the way out.

Seed nine said nein when I asked it to germinate faster. All of the other seedlings have sprouted; one more to go until I plant again, which will probably be when all of the males are found and eliminated. I thought about naming the last one Mr. Game & Watch because he hits with a 9, NEIN!

Blueberry_Crop.jpg

The crop was moved to its own CO2 augmented Vegetative Cabinet. Some are further along than others; a few are still pulling their heads up, but all seeds have produced seedlings in a reliable fashion.

Day 4 - Blueberry Seeds #7-#10

Yesterday, the last unpopped Blueberry Seed #9 shows successful signs of germination, with its head and stem laying in the soil, still partially stuck.

Blueberry Seedlings #1-#4: Day 8

The first Blueberry seedlings have rounded their first week and are looking healthy. The next potting of all of these will most likely be into Red Solo Cups after another week or two.

Blueberry Seedlings #5 & #6: Day 6

The second Blueberry seedling set both look healthy and ready for their new environment.

bloomroom3.jpg

12/12 Photoperiod From Seed Experiment

I decided to mix my grows together a little today; I will be throwing the Purgatory #2 Seedling from my planted grow into the 12/12 cycle instead of one of my clones, to see how it develops in its 5" pot. I am curious to see how quickly it develops and decides to show its sex; at this point, if it identifies as a male, I will separate him into his own environment with an LED in order to yield pollen to freeze for breeding. If it identifies as a female, I'll allow her to follow through until blooming finishes.

Clones.jpg

The Clone Zone

I have begun re-cloning cuttings from both of my vegetating Sour Diesel clones. I decided not to use blocks or any other false medium besides my organic potting mix; I anticipate that it will be somewhat different from using rock wool or something comparable in support. To provide the medium for these clones in their shiny, new Solo Cups, I decided to gut the larger 5" pots of my three Kushberry/Purgatory seedlings that began this. There was more than enough for both a seedling to have a Solo Cup to itself and spare a cup for a clone. This eliminated space in my Propagation Chamber, and personally I enjoy the uniform look, plus the useful ability of cutting away the bottom of the cup when I transplant next.

The Propagation Chamber's inhabitants have all been re-planted; my goal over the next few days is to transplant the rest of the Blueberry seedlings to Red Solo Cups in the larger cabinet. I was impatient regarding the seeds' initial homes, and decided to use my household cups instead of waiting to go to a store (like I should have done to begin with). Lesson learned.

SoloCupPropagation.jpg

I totally failed with the Clone Zone; the three I tried with are dead and gone. My next attempt will happen when I get more space to grow from a plant blooming, advancing those underneath it into the Bloom Room or from a seedling dying.

Vegetative Day 17 - Kushberry Seedlings #1-#3; Purgatory Seedling #1

These little guys rooted all the way to the bottom of their containers, but I decided that their soil was giving them nutrient burn and also that the pots were too large for their current stage of growth in the overall grow. They have been moved to Solo Cups that have clean, organic potting mix with zero nutrients and a 6.5 pH watering.

Vegetative Day 12 - Blueberry Seedlings #1-#4

These seedlings started to get nutrient burn between yesterday and today; they are the best looking of my Blueberry crop so far, so I decided to up-pot them, soil flush them and save their lives. I put them all into new Solo Cups that have clean, organic potting mix with zero nutrients and a 6.5 pH watering for now.

Vegetative Day 10 - Blueberry Seedlings #5 & #6

These have normal-sized leaves for their age and decent root growth, but they are starting to show signs of stunting and discoloration from nutrient burn. They, too, have been re-potted into Solo Cups that have clean, organic potting mix with zero nutrients and a 6.5 pH watering.

Vegetative Day 8 - Blueberry Seedlings #7-#10

Wow, so these plants took a hit from nutrient overload and are very dwarfish, growth-stunted and misshapen; I also put these into new Solo Cups that have clean, organic potting mix with zero nutrients and a 6.5 pH watering for now. Hopefully, they bounce back and their very short root systems extend further. If they die, they die, but I will not give up on them if they want to fight.

Vegetative Day 2 - Purgatory Seedlings #3-#5

I am very glad that I learned my lesson with soil nutrients; I gave these a fresh home right off the bat with zero inlaid nutrients and fresh, 6.5 pH water.

blue1.jpg

Nutrient burn can be quite pervasive, and I am astonished by how long it can linger after a soil swap has been made.

Vegetative Day 21 - Kushberry Seedlings #1-#3; Purgatory Seedling #1

Week three for these seedlings has lapsed, and many are looking well-burned by their former soil; on the positive side, though the tan leaf discoloration seems bad, all of their leaves are flat and raised slightly towards the light. I am taking this as a sign that there is hope for them yet.

Vegetative Day 17 - Blueberry Seedlings #1-#4

Pictured above is Blueberry Seedling #1, exhibiting a touch of nutrient burn on the tips of the initial leaflets. Despite this, it is the furthest along of all four plants. All three others have much serious severe signs of deficiency, though they are in recovery and not severely discolored, as the other strains.

Vegetative Day 10 - Blueberry Seedlings #5 & #6

Seedling #5 bit the dust about two days ago, but #6 is still alive. Seedlings #5-#10 experienced the nutrient burning the worst of everything, and my best guess as to why is that they were planted directly into the overloaded medium instead of a rooting cube first. The other plants had time to grow before they had to deal with the problem, so they are better off; sadly there were more losses because of this mistake.

Vegetative Day 15 - Blueberry Seedlings #7-#10

These seedlings might as well have been characters in Oregon Trail, only Seedling #8 remains for its journey.

Vegetative Day 2 - Purgatory Seedlings #3-#5

So I went to H2O/O2 1:1 the plants slightly, and the hydrogen peroxide mixture bubbled up out of the cups for these three seeds, pushing much of the soil around in an indistinguishable position. It was almost like over-pouring froth into a beer mug. I've put the majority of the soil back and found two of the seeds from the three cups, but I'm not certain where the third seed ended up; I assuming that it is in the cup still, or has been cleaned up with the rest of the "mud" that spilled out by mistake. /facepalm

Purgatory_2.jpg

This is Purgatory #2 in its 12/12 Flowering Photoperiod, started directly from seedling.

Much has happened in the past four days, and today a few seedlings that experienced the initial burning bit the dust. The numeric labels have changed accordingly, and have been re-labeled to reflect the current plant total given that some have died.

Vegetative Day 25 - Kushberry Seedlings #1 & #2

Kushberry #3 and Purgatory Seedling #1 were laid to rest today. Kushberry Seedlings #1 & #2 are the sole survivors of this Marijuana Jamestown, and they made it out badly burned; both have displayed new growth, though their initial leaflets crumble to the touch. The dying leaves have been pruned off of the seedlings, which I know isn't optimal for something so young, but considering the state of them I believe it was necessary. Luckily, both look pretty healthy after their haircuts.

Vegetative Day 21 - Blueberry Seedlings #1 & #2; Day 14 - #3

I pulled the plug on Blueberry Seedlings #4 and #8, they died honorably. Seedling #6 has been renamed Seedling #3, though it is a few days behind the others; I will group their days together later on in vegetation, when they begin to take a similar size or even later on upon sexing.

Vegetative Day 6 - Purgatory Seed #1; Bloom Day 11 - Purgatory Seedling #2

Purgatory Seedlings #3 and #4 are either lost in some dirt from the previous post's story, or they are somewhere in the solo cup, awaiting sprouting. If I'm lucky enough for this to be the case, I'll separate them when they've made themselves distinguishable by phenotype. Until then, the last Purgatory seed is awaiting germination, unless it's a dud. Just my luck man. I am glad that Purgatory Seedling #2 hung on for the ride; at least I may have two of them.

Day 1 - Kushberry Seeds #3-#5

I'm pretty excited about this planting, considering the mistakes that I've learned from in the previous seeds' short lifespans. They have been planted in a zero-nutrient environment, watered only with 6.0-6.5pH balanced tap water.

Day 1 - Blueberry Seeds #4-#6

As the last of the Kushberry seeds above, these last few Blueberry seeds have been planted in a zero-nutrient environment, watered only with 6.0-6.5pH balanced tap water. Let's see some action.

bloob1.jpg

Blueberry Seedling #1
bloob2.jpg

Blueberry Seedling #2

Vegetative Day 21 - Blueberry Seedlings #1 & #2

I've pruned the nutrient burned portions of each leaf for the remaining seedlings; the two Blueberry Seedlings pictured above are in the best condition out of all the strains so far.

Hi I see you have multiple rooms going for the different stages of your grow. Just curious about the consistency of your seedling medium. It looks a little rough for babies. I would check to see if you can find some coco to add to the mix or some seed starting soil that isn't as rough.

I have had trouble getting clones to work too. They need a constantly high humidity to sustain the cutting until it puts out roots.

I hope things start picking up for ya :thumb: I'm rooting for a fellow outdoorsman turned into a civilized indoor grower :rofl:

Hey thanks for stopping by.

I just had another seedling sprout on the 48 hour mark in the medium; so far it seems quite reliable, even if rough. It's just a standard zero-nutrient organic potting-mix from Lowe's, and I haven't had an issue with any soil-related problem yet beyond my own mistaken addition of nutrients during the initial planting. Since then, everything that had survived the burn was given a zero-nutrient home of the same mix and all look very healthy now. I honestly really like that the texture is rough and more closely resembles a forest floor than just pure soil; I feel that seeds would more naturally find a home in this type of earth than in more compacted soil, where an indentation must be made. So far my theory seems correct, given the speed and consistency of germination that I have experienced.

Beyond that I definitely need to adjust my chosen medium for cloning and get a dome or set of small domes if I want to clone; right now I thought about converting one of the cabinet's lower storage spaces into Clone Thunderdome with some fluorescents or another small light. I have three grows going overall and am looking for my first clone harvest at the end of April, so I've been pretty busy and everything has been successful beyond the mistakes I've learned from.

:volcano-smiley:

Kushberry Plant #1: Nutrient Burn Survivor of Original Planting

Kushberry Plant #2: Nutrient Burn Survivor of Original Planting

Kushberry Plant #3: The first seed planted after I fixed my nutrient-overloaded soil, shown here on Day 4 but popped on the 48 hour mark

Kushberry Plant #4: The second seed planted after I fixed my nutrient-overloaded soil, shown here on Day 4 but popped at hour 58.

bbpop4 copy.jpg

Blueberry Plant #4: This strain took a little longer to pop, but still made it out during Day 3; they have also been given fresh, unaltered, organic potting mix with zero nutrients.

Blueberry Plant #5: Freshly reaching out of the medium, this little guy popped this morning.

Blueberry Plant #6: This is the first plant to pop from the newly sewn Blueberry Seeds after the first attempt with nutrient overload.

Vegetative Day 28 (Week 4 Complete) - Kushberry Seedlings #1 & #2

After one hell of a near-death-experience, Kushberry Seedlings #1 & #2 have begun sprouting new growth and have also gained their leaves' original healthy green back. The only signs of burning noticeable now are the spots where the first burnt leaves were pruned from. I'll take stunted growth over plant death any day.

Vegetative Day 24 - Blueberry Seedlings #1 & #2; Day 17 - #3

Blueberry Seedlings #1 & #2 are in impeccable shape for having been overloaded by nutrients; this speaks wonders about the plant's genetics, given how quickly TGA's Purgatory fried. They have not changed much from the previous post's pictures so I didn't include them in this photo set.

I am strongly considering pulling the plug on Blueberry Seedling #3; it is still quite stunted and hasn't shown any sign of new growth, though it remains green and the roots are not weak. I am going to give it another week and if it hasn't gotten the lead out by then, it will be flushed.

Vegetative Day 6 - Purgatory Seed #1; Bloom Day 11 - Purgatory Seedling #2

Purgatory Seedling #1 still has not popped its head out of the potting medium, even though it was given a zero-nutrient home. I dug down to it very gently and noticed that it has cracked itself open, extending a very short tap root; the only strange thing is that the tap root didn't seem to find its way into the soil, and instead lay protruding out, 95% of the root being white and the very tip being a light brown. I don't believe that I gave it enough water for this to be a sign of root rot, in fact I have been giving the new seedlings substantially less water than I had before. I re-planted it with the tap root facing down, gently patting it in and then another dose of water. Maybe we'll see some action from this one soon if we are lucky.

Purgatory Seedling #2 looks fantastic, and has begun sprouting its third set of leaflets in the Bloom Room. It is quite entertaining to see how much stronger this particular seed has been in terms of dealing with its nutrient overload; it is definitely my experimental subject plant, as I left it in its nutrient-overloaded medium even after putting it into 12/12. I am quite certain the only reason it is alive is because of the swap to 12/12; even though it will most definitely not yield the same amount as the others may have the potential to, I feel that I will at least have saved the plant's ability to produce something rather than die and waste my time or money (even if it's a bud on a short stick).

Day 4 - Kushberry Seedlings/Seed #3-#5

Wow, these little girls are quite persistent and reliably pop up faster than a boner at the worst time imaginable to have one; I am glad that these were the feminized seeds that I have chosen, because I honestly expected any feminized seeds to be a bit weaker in their genetic resilience. Seedlings #3 & #4 have emerged, so I am only waiting for #5 to make its fashionably late entrance.

Day 4 - Blueberry Seedlings #4-#6

All of my Blueberry Seeds have now been used, and I will mention that though I killed a few with nutrient overload, 100% of them did pop so at least my germination method is reliable. I will not change the Propagation Chamber's layout, considering the success I've had with at least popping these seeds. I am ecstatic that everything seems to be coming together, so far.

Equipment Updates

So I went a little crazy on Amazon because I'm just sitting around recovering from surgery for a few weeks, and decided to get started building the Clone Mothership. I also decided to buy a covered, aeroponic cloning machine and 65W LED to go with it.

Mothership Kit:
-Quictent 16"x16"x48" Mylar, Light-Sealed Grow Tent
-VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W Full-Spectrum Hanging LED
-6" 2-Speed Clip Fan
-(2x) 80mm PC Fans
-(15x) 5"x5"x12" Sea of Green Grow Pots
-(25x) 3' Natural Bamboo Stakes

I am pretty excited about this particular build, though I have been wondering about how to deal with my current spacial limitations. All of my pots are too wide and not deep enough for a plant to grow healthily and reside in for a long period of time, unless I start out in 5-gallon cloth, which would waste a ton of space in my cabinets in terms of height and width. The decision came down to between 2-liter soda bottles with the tops cut off or a bunch of tall, skinny, plastic pots with similar dimensions; given the dimensions of my new tent and the dimensions of the plastic pots that I found, it seems that I will be able to accommodate nine overall plants in just the Mothership tent by approaching it this way. Not only that, but this should allow me to also alleviate spacial constraint in all of the other cabinets except for my Propagation Chamber, due to its height. I am very glad to have found a uniform look for everything that fits my required dimensions, and I will draw the updated layout for all of my cabinets in the next day or two to show you what I'm anticipating.

Clone Thunderdome Kit:
-TurboKlone T24D Aeroponic Cloning System with 24 Site Cloners and Humidity Dome
-Amats 45W Full-Spectrum hanging LED
-HydroDynamics Clonex Clone Solution (1 Quart)
-HydroDynamics Clonex Rooting Gel (100ml)

This purchase came down to my inability to control humidity properly in the Propagation Chamber, at least to the much more substantial extent that I would need to make any clones viable. I really like the idea of continuously taking cuttings from prime mother plants for a free source of clones to raise and flower. I feel it could knock my expenses for this hobby down even further by letting me use the same strains for the next few years. After reading about the success rates of these machines, it seemed stupid to waste my time trying another method, even with the initial cost of the cloner.

Back
Top Bottom