First time grower, need some tips

Downlow

Hello,
Finally got some seeds and im ready to plant.
I bought some prepared soil with some fertilizer in it ( doesn't say ) , also bought some cheap organic based fertilizer with 7-3-4 NPK , and another "starter" fertilizer with 10-24-10 .

I plan to germinate the seeds directly in the soil , Questions are when should I add the fertilizer to the soil and which one of them ? :Namaste:

also , when I induce the flowering period to the plant should I change the fertilizer ?
:thanks:

Do not put seed or seedling in fertilizer it will burn the heck out of it and may kill it. You can do a mix with every thing you want and set it to the side. Then take a solo cup or something that size and hold in the middle of your pot and hold it where you want the top of your soil to be. Then take the soil you mixed and pour all around cup and fill the pot. Then pull cup out and fill that hole with soil with NO nutes. The water the pot good and put seed in and you are all set. Seed,seedling and grow root system without getting burnt from nutes and about two weeks when it wants some nuts the roots will start growing in the soil that you mixed nutes in. I hope that will help you. If you got any more ? Please ask away. Happy Growing

You could topdress the soil once the plants are a couple of weeks old or you could make a weak tea from the 7-3-4 (which would be your veg fert). 10-24-10 you could use that going into bloom but I think you would want more Potassium than that later in flowering. Again, I tend to use teas, but I use organics.

I suggest soaking the seeds overnight before potting them.

what do you mean "make a weak tea"?
which one i should add after two/three weeks of growing? and how much of it?

Tnx for the help!
Update:
After a two days germination i've planted my seeds into soil.
After one week in soil:
20140425_164114.jpg

Currently during the day, the plants are outside in the sun. At night i put them under fluorescent light.
I have a growing lamp: 21X Pro LED Grow light
My question is when i should start using my growing lamp?
And what should be the light cycles? I've prepared a box with fans and a spot for the light and i want to move my plants there.

Tnx for the help!
Update:
After a two days germination i've planted my seeds into soil.
After one week in soil:
20140425_164114.jpg

Currently during the day, the plants are outside in the sun. At night i put them under fluorescent light.
I have a growing lamp: 21X Pro LED Grow light
My question is when i should start using my growing lamp?
And what should be the light cycles? I've prepared a box with fans and a spot for the light and i want to move my plants there.
ar

You can start using the grow light right away, just watch you don't put it too close while it is still a seedling. I would guess for that light no closer than a foot to start. It should stop that one tall one from stretching any more. I like the 18/6 cycle myself. Some people like 24/0 which favours more root development.

Thank you!
Should i start watering the plants once a week or continue keeping the soil moist for one more week?
And how long i need to wait until i start to fertilize the soil?

Make sure the soil has good drainage, water well but then let it dry out thoroughly. Plastic pots that size might stay moist for a week depending on the soil. I would invest right away in a moisture meter, they are dirt cheap ($10). If the soil has any nutes at all (which it will if it is soil and not a soilless mix) then you won't need to fertilize until your plant has a few sets of leaves. Fertilizer is not the 'food' your plants grow on, more like vitamins. Light is the food, so give them as much as that as they can take.

I've transferred the plants into the box.
Here is my setup:

I have a moister/temp/ph (currently 7 ph) meter and i use the Sentinel DRT 1 timer for the lamp cycle.
On the side of the box there are 4 small pc fans, 2 for intake and 2 for exhaust. But the fans are not functional yet until i'll get the fans power supply unit.
Right now my biggest concern is the temperature during day. The Box is located at the attic and during the day time the temperature there can rise up to 90° F and in the next month it can even rise up to 95° F. Is this temperature is too high for the plants?
I've chosen the 20/4 cycle, the 4 hours that the lamp is off is between 12 pm to 4 pm- the hottest hours of the day.

Thanks!
So what can i do to reduce the heat? maybe to put a freeze pack during the hot hours?
Or maybe the fans are enough (once they will work)
Any ideas for upgrading my growing box?

Hi , quick update , one of the plants seems to look dead , I'm not sure what triggered this but it happened over a period of 2 days max , before that he looked healthy.

both are into flowering for about 2.5 weeks by now ... they seem to produce what appears to be buds in it's early stages ( it has white hairs coming out of it at certain intersections )

possible causes as far as I know are :
1. over hydration , too much water.
2. heat ( it was extremly hot over the last couple of days )

after seeing him at this state , we decided to replant him into new soil , was this wise ? or did it seal its fate

the leaves just crummble into ash upon minor contact with my fingers , Does he have any chance to make it ? or is he dead for sure ?

In my opinion it is more then likely dead. But my optimism says there is always a chance, and I think although the transplant may have cause stress the roots may have needed the room to grow as the pot is awfully small for the size of the plant you have.

Good luck, you have my optimism on your side.

Back
Top Bottom