First time grower

IntoTheClouds

My first grow, ive been reading and watching you tube videos, asking around, the whole 9. Just wanna make sure im not heading in the wrong direction here with my products. Im most worried about my watering and feeding methods and whether or not ill be doing enough for the plant. Here is a list of things ill be using during my grow:

Grow Space: 4x4 grow tent
Light: Platinum LED p450
Nutes:
General Organics​
-FloraNova Grow
-Bio Root
-Floralicious Plus
(These are Veg state Nutes)
Soil: ProMix HP
Seeds: AmsterdamMarajuanaseeds.com White Widow (feminized)

I have everything but the seeds (which are a couple days late now...) i bought them 12 days ago with "guarenteed shipping" option still nothing, paid 100$ for 10 seeds.

Anyways i plan on germinating the seeds and using rockwool for 5 seeds and soil (ProMix) for the other 5 (just as a learning process to see which is better). I have 4 x One Gal. pots, 4 x Two Gal. Pots and 4 x Five Gal. Pots.

My main questions are as follows...
1. How often should i water? (LED lights are suppose to be less)
2. Should i water with "Nutes" every time?
3. Will i have to add more ProMix to my pots during this 3-4 month grow period?
4. Can rockwool cubes be transplanted directly into pot-and-soil for veg?
5. When people say "what kind of fertilizer?" do they mean youre nutes? im confused on that as i am not very clear on if i should add "fertilizer" to my plants pots...

Any help is appreciated, thank you, David

1. How often you water depends on your environment (temp, humidity, air flow, and can also vary with different types of mediums). My experience with promix is that it tends to dry out a bit faster than the happy frog soil I'm now using. A good rule of thumb is to stick your finger about 2 in down and if it's dry and the pot is very light it's time to water. When u have them in rock wool make sure u also have a humidity dome and keep it at 70-80% rh. If it drops lower mist them with water.

2. Do not water with nutes everytime. Take it easy on them when they are babies. They don't need much. I would start them off with water only. Read through my grow journal if you would like.i started from seed under an led in a 4x4.

4. Yes rock wool cubes can be planted directly into soil/soiless mediums.

5. Yes ferts and nutes are same thing.

Hope u can find some useful info in my journal. I'm fairly new too and don't know everything but I've learned an amazing amount through the last 4 months...any questions feel free to ask

Are you adding any perlite to the promix? I did and it works well, roughly 33% perlite 66% Promix HP. The drainage gained from the perlite will let you give more nutes to the plants over time (since it dries out faster) and probably result in bigger/better plants.
I actually DID feed with nutes each time (once they were big enough to handle nutes), but very tiny amounts, like 1/4 tsp-2/3 tsp of veg or bloom nutes, plus all the other additives. If you don't overdo it this is a very good way of watering/feeding the plants.
You might have to add in a bit more Promix over time but not much, maybe a few cups of it from seed to harvest. I put some acrylic felt over my drainage holes to prevent the medium from coming out.
Yes you can just pop the plant in the cube right into the Promix, that's what I did and it didn't affect anything.
And yes fertilizer = nutes, for the most part unless you are talking organic growing or something.

Are you adding any perlite to the promix? I did and it works well, roughly 33% perlite 66% Promix HP. The drainage gained from the perlite will let you give more nutes to the plants over time (since it dries out faster) and probably result in bigger/better plants.
I actually DID feed with nutes each time (once they were big enough to handle nutes), but very tiny amounts, like 1/4 tsp-2/3 tsp of veg or bloom nutes, plus all the other additives. If you don't overdo it this is a very good way of watering/feeding the plants.
You might have to add in a bit more Promix over time but not much, maybe a few cups of it from seed to harvest. I put some acrylic felt over my drainage holes to prevent the medium from coming out.
Yes you can just pop the plant in the cube right into the Promix, that's what I did and it didn't affect anything.
And yes fertilizer = nutes, for the most part unless you are talking organic growing or something.

did you ever see signs of too much nutes? if so what were the signs and how did you deal with that? you said when they were big enough you watered each time with nutes. how far into the grow would you say is "big enough"

Looking at my past data, I initially gave 2 plants a 1/4th gallon of water with 2.5 tsp of veg nutes in the gallon itself, so the plant got 0.63 tsp of nutes and that was still too much and overfed the plant. Caused me problems for weeks afterwards, the overfed plants became yellowish and grew more slowly than the other 2 which were not overfed. That was the only time I really overfed, I picked up quickly that they don't need much at all honestly. The rest of my problems were just ph problems, gotta keep a close eye on ph for a smooth grow.
I started using nutes 2 weeks after my clones were planted, just ended up using too much. You can start nutes when there are at least 4 sets of leaves on the plant. Any sooner and you will just end up hurting it/stunting it.

Looking at my past data, I initially gave 2 plants a 1/4th gallon of water with 2.5 tsp of veg nutes in the gallon itself, so the plant got 0.63 tsp of nutes and that was still too much and overfed the plant. Caused me problems for weeks afterwards, the overfed plants became yellowish and grew more slowly than the other 2 which were not overfed. That was the only time I really overfed, I picked up quickly that they don't need much at all honestly. The rest of my problems were just ph problems, gotta keep a close eye on ph for a smooth grow.
I started using nutes 2 weeks after my clones were planted, just ended up using too much. You can start nutes when there are at least 4 sets of leaves on the plant. Any sooner and you will just end up hurting it/stunting it.

Yeah the ph thing is a must from what I've been hearing. Was the ph imbalance because of nutes? Youre water source? What was the most impactful part of having imbalance in you're pH? How was it imbalanced? The pH thing seems so tricky to me, almost scary! I really feel like I need to get this pH knowledge down asap, my seeds will be here any day!

Haha no worries. Just get a ph pen online somewhere. Should cost roughly $30. Measure your nutes solution after you put everything in and adjust it as needed. The ph imbalance for me was due to a high ph tap water, almost 8.0. Now I adjust ph using PH Down. I also got some hard water micronutes to compensate for the tap water

Hello, I'm a first time grower and not sure what all do I need to have or do for my plants to turn into beauties. I started growing them from seeds and got 9 out of 12. My questions are: How long does it take to grow from seeds to harvest? What type of lights should I use? How long will it take to produce buds? PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello, I'm a first time grower and not sure what all do I need to have or do for my plants to turn into beauties. I started growing them from seeds and got 9 out of 12. My questions are: How long does it take to grow from seeds to harvest? What type of lights should I use? How long will it take to produce buds? PLEASE HELP!!!

Start here How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

If you have specific questions you need help with, start a new thread in the FAQ section of the Growers Forum

Back
Top Bottom