First time grower with custom box build (pics!)

toweliegrows

Hey all,

First off, "Hi"; this is my first time actually participating in this community although I have been reading all of your suggestions for the last few months. I did a build about 5 weeks ago for my first grow and thought I would share my build as well as the current state of the plants. Any tips or suggestions appreciated!

I am a first time grower and I decided to build a 2'x2'x5' stealth grow box to keep everything hidden and out of view for the most part. This is based off a build in the DYI forums by stratlogic.

Lights:

I started by using a single 125w CFL, but after hearing that I should have at least 3000 lumens per ft2 I decided to add 6 more 26w cfls. Currently I have a total of 281w outputting about 16,000 lumens. I was going to add more, but anything else and I would have trouble keeping the temp down. All of the lights are currently running on 6500k for veg, but I might switch out a few to 2700k after reading some info about mixing spectrums.

Fans:

I am using 4x 120mm computer fans which each fan outputs 134 cfm. This should produce enough for almost 27 cycles a minute in this space, so I assumed I was going to be able to run the fans on low, however after ramping up on the lights I have had to run them on full to keep the temp down. The fans are intake on top, outtake on the bottom and are pushed to opposite corners to provide the best flow. It also runs top to bottom to make sure we are grabbing fresh air from the middle of the room.

Humidifier:

After I did this build, I added a humidifier near the outside vent that will keep up the humidity, but also keep the temp down since its an ultrasonic humidifer. Was about $50 at target. At some point I still need to redo the duct that will be the intake for the humidifier so the wood does not get wet.

Plants:

Using bagseed for my first grow of an unknown strain, so it's hard to know the nuances for this specific breed. If anyone can tell by the pics (or future pics during flowering) let me know! The plants as you'll see in this post are about 6 weeks old in their veg phase, going to give it another 2 weeks before we try switching into flowering.

Misc:

The build listed below does not have the materials for the shelves, the humidifer, or the lights besides the main one at the top because those were things I got after I had finished the initial build to improve the environment. I would say this build in total cost me somewhere around $500-600.

---

A list of supplies and tools I needed to build this box:

Raw Materials:
2x - MDF sheets. 4'x8' x 1/2"
7x - wood posts. 2"x2" x 8'

MDF:
2x - 2'x5' [side walls]
2x - 1'11"x5' [door + back wall]
2x - 2'x2' [floor/ceiling]
2x - 1'11" x 1'11" [floor panel/light roof]

19x - 1'8" [4x top frame, 4x mid frame, 4x bottom frame, 2x base support, 2x extra]

---

NewEgg:
1x - scythe fan controller
1x - power adapter w/ 4pin molex connector
4x - 120mm/134cfm scythe case fans

Amazon:
1x - bright wing grow light fixture
1x - feliz 125 w cfl 6500k
1x - feliz 125 w cfl 2700k

Online Mylar Store:
1x - 55 inch roll of 1 mil mylar

Lowes:
1x - roll white duct tape rolls
2x - rolls heat resistant duct tape
2x - rolls electrical tape
2x - boxes of 1.5" wood screws
4x - 3" bolt/screws combo package of 4
4x - roller casters with screws
2x - door hinges with screws
1x - 1/2 pint can white primer
1x - 1 pint can flat black paint
1x - master lock and door lock hing with screws
1x - door handle
1x - heavy duty extension coord + power strip
1x - heavy duty power timer
1x - can 3m spray adhesive
1x - 3/4" hole cutter drill attachment
2x - 3/4" wall grommet for cables/wires
2x - fine sand paper blocks
1x - small tub spackle
1x - paint roller

Radio Shack:
1x - thermometer + humidity sensor
1x - roll standard rosin-core solder
1x - cable coax nail-in clips (white)
1x - 22awg wire (3 rolls of 3 colors)

---

Tools Used:
- tape measure
- jig saw
- power drill
- soldering iron
- socket set
- hammer

---

I went to lowes to get all the wood cut and for a majority of the supplies. Their cutting can be off, so make sure you have something at home to even out the lengths.

Started off by putting casters on the floor board piece:
step01.jpg

Then measure and screw in the bottom frame, there should be a 1/2" on all the sides where the walls will fit:
step02.jpg

Added in 2 posts for support for the floor:
step03.jpg

For the top shelf and the floor we need to cut out 1.5" boxes of the corners so that the 4 posts will fit:
step04.jpg

Attach the floor to the base and paint the floor white:
step05.jpg

Cover the walls with mylar using the 3m adhesive:
step06.jpg

Attach the bright wing grow light fixture to the shelf:
step07.jpg

Drill a 3/4" hole in the shelf for the cords to fit:
step08.jpg

Attach the top frame and posts to the base:
step09.jpg

Wrap the posts with mylar:
step10.jpg

Attach the back panel:
step111.jpg

On the sides cut out holes big enough for the fans with the jig saw, drill holes for the screws.
step12.jpg

Create holes on the upper right and lower left on both side panels:
step13.jpg

Install shelf large enough to store supplies and equipment; paint front:
step14.jpg

Glue in grommets for shelf and back panel:
step15.jpg

Bottom view with both side panels on:
step16.jpg

Top view with both side panels on:
step17.jpg

Sand down the outside:
step18.jpg

Cover edges with duct tape:
step19.jpg

Fill in holes with spackle and sand after drying:
step20.jpg

Extend fan wires to reach to the shelf:
step211.jpg

Paint the box black:
step22.jpg

Before door is attached:
step23.jpg

Installing the bottom fans, pushing air out, use clips to secure wires:
step24.jpg

Install top fans, pulling air in:
step25.jpg

View of the shelf with fan control and power strip:
step26.jpg

Attach door using hinges:
step27.jpg

Install lock and door handle:
step28.jpg

Outside view of box with light on:
step29.jpg

Make air duct out of spare cardboard, attach with tape:
step30.jpg

Finished view with painted air ducts:
step311.jpg

[Extra] made some shelves to raise/lower plants:
step32.jpg

temp/humidity gauge:
step33.jpg

[Extra] added ultrasonic humidifer to keep temps down and add humidity:
step34.jpg

door open with shelves and plants:
step35.jpg

[Extra] added more cfl's on the sides:
step36.jpg

another view of the lights:
step37.jpg

side view of veg, this is 6 weeks in:
step38.jpg

top view of current plants:
step39.jpg

Thanks!
Towelie

nice build...just a thought, but if u reverse ur fans, put intake at bottom and exhaust on top then u wont be pulling the heat from lamp down onto the plants..will help keep things a little cooler in there...:goodluck:

I agree whole heart with Bass on this. You really are fighting nature trying to pull heat down. Heat rises naturally so pulling heat down is fighting nature. A simple fix, as you well know.
:thumb:

Wow! seeing those pics really hurts my self esteem man lmao. I appreciate the detailed info about the supplies too. It was very helpful. WEEELLL , now I feel like I need to go back to the drawing board. :wood:Good job !!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK:bravo:

Thanks guys for the info/words. :)

After thinking about it like that, I think I may switch them around while I do the duct work for the humidifier.

Do you guys have an idea on how much more time I should run with the plants on veg? I've heard a lot of people say to wait at least 8 weeks.

Thanks guys for the info/words. :)

After thinking about it like that, I think I may switch them around while I do the duct work for the humidifier.

Do you guys have an idea on how much more time I should run with the plants on veg? I've heard a lot of people say to wait at least 8 weeks.

There is No Correct Answer to that one, if you ask me. It depends on how big you want them and how much light you want, what kind of canopy you want, what kind of clipping or scrogging or supercropping you do. I guess that information may be in the thread somewhere. It takes most Indica leaning plants about 6 weeks to become sexually mature, but that is species related. Sativas take longer and most of the plants out there are hybrids of a Sativa and an Indica. When I have grown out new plants I have been with the people daily that supplied me the seeds or whatnot. Right now I am growing three new strains and I am playing it by ear. I will know a lot more next time. Dialing in a grow is like developing a golf swing as it is dependent on so many personal variables. Many folks say that a plant will double or triple height during flower, so that is one thing to work backwards from. I will be watching you though, and maybe between all of us we can give you some guiding words.

Good Luck:popcorn:

Excellent, and inspiring grow!! I look forward to seeing more pics.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay, but got some new pics. Had an issue with some external stress on the plants due to some unforeseen circumstances as well as some unnecessary worrying on my part. I guess all apart of a first time grow experience. Below are some pics as they are now. The plants are currently 21 days into 12/12. Ended up pretty lucky, 4 out of 6 plants made it into this stage as only 2 ended up being male. The plan is to run another 5 weeks before harvesting. Let me know if you recognize the strain!

updated-1.jpg
updated-2.jpg

updated-3.jpg

wow...totally cool. how much do you charge to come over and build me one of these boxes...LOL

Good Luck!

This is my prototype...awesome! This is almost the exact box I want to build. How many plants are you going to grow in this? What's working for you?

Thanks so much for posting this, I REALLY appreciate it!

:thanks:

Stealing is more than welcomed!

We started with 6 plants for veg and ended up with 4 plants in flowering, worked pretty well, we may try to start with 8-10 next round though.

Back
Top Bottom